Going Green

Helmling

Philosopher King
First of all, as many have pointed out, they made the effects of climate change too drastic. It's 1825 in my current game, I'm one of the most advanced civs and have eschewed all carbon emissions, yet the oceans have risen three times already.

If the real effects of global warming were that obvious then perhaps we could actually get the world to do something about it!

But in addition to this, going green in the game is way too difficult. Wind farms and solar plants take up precious tile space and only produce 2 power. A well-established city just might now have any real estate for that.

These tile improvements should generate more power and there should be a way to benefit from them when built outside of your city radius.

And don't get me started on tornados! I had a tornado storm last for 15 years and decimate an area the size of Montana. Come on, guys!

And can I say: the sea walls take WAYYYYY too long to build. It would be manageable if they'd at least let you use an exorbitant amount of gold to rush them, but they can't be hurried. One of my gem cities--with golden gate bridge, a water park, and seaside resort--is starting to look like a post apocalyptic wasteland. One end of the Golden Gate dangles into flooded land. Tornados or flooding--or got knows what--wrecked the water park, and I'm pretty sure the sea level is going to rise a couple more times before the 34 turns to build the wall are complete.

And can I say: the sea walls take WAYYYYY too long to build. It would be manageable if they'd at least let you use an exorbitant amount of gold to rush them, but they can't be hurried. One of my gem cities--with golden gate bridge, a water park, and seaside resort--is starting to look like a post apocalyptic wasteland. One end of the Golden Gate dangles into flooded land. Tornados or flooding--or got knows what--wrecked the water park, and I'm pretty sure the sea level is going to rise a couple more times before the 34 turns to build the wall are complete.
They can be hurried if there is Valletta. Faith cost is also bugged so you can buy it really cheap

I have actually found the effects of climate change to be not drastic at all. Even when sea level has risen to the maximum I've lost only two or three tiles.

However what I have found is that it happens too QUICKLY. Even though I don't lose many tiles to climate change, it should not be happening in the industrial/early modern era.

The barriers become harder to build once the sea is rising. You want to build them before they are actually needed. In my last game they all took between 4 to 10 turns.
It works better to focus on getting those barriers up than to focus one going green. Sea levels rising is the only effect that can't be repaired or rebuild.

Wow whatta buncha climate wimps :)... just had my world got to level 7 but it was pretty simply to build all the defenses my nation required to weather the pitifully weak climate change effects. Now, Berlin was completely underwater, but what do I care about a bunch of foreigners?

IMO the climate change effects come too rapidly, but they are NOT too drastic, they are pretty weak and easy to defend against.

Top Bottom