Going to try Civ V again after many years. Are there mods suitable for me?

salty mud

Deity
With the release of Civ VI, I've decided to bite the bullet and give Civ V another try after a fairly long absence. I have both of the expansion packs, though played very little of Brave New World. Before justifying the download to myself, I'd like to know if there are modifications out there that will provide the experience I'd most like.

Global happiness is one of my main gripes. Is there a mod that doesn't penalise one so much for aiming for a "wide" empire? Likewise, is there a mod that will actually encourage the AI to place more than four cities? This game is called Civilisation, not Microstates.

Is there a mod for improved AI? It was depressing to watch the AI units march backwards and forwards during war, only for my ranged units to pick them off one by one.

Ideally, is there a mod that has these things plus others all in one simple download? I'm willing to try Civ V again but the base game just won't cut it I fear.

Regards

Yeah, Vox Populi already linked by Asterix Rage, is all you need. It introduces a new, much more sensible per-city happiness. And with a superb AI, careful rebalancing of the existing game mechanics and introducing many exciting new ones, I personally think there won't ever be a reason to play Civ6 for me (unless somebody makes something similar to Vox Populi for Civ6).

I have the exact same question except:
-only G&K, not BNW, and
-no clue how to even start implementing a mod.
Seriously, never modded before. How would you describe step one to a total bonehead?

I have the exact same question except:
-only G&K, not BNW, and
-no clue how to even start implementing a mod.
Seriously, never modded before. How would you describe step one to a total bonehead?

BNW is a great mod itself. Get it first
And just read the install instructions from the links above. I believe Acken's is the easier to start with Mod.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the
-Community Patch,
-Vox Populi, and
-Community Balance Patch?
Seems like maybe the first two are the same? Also, after downloading one of them, how do you use it?

If I cannot get a straight mod download from Workshop by subscribing; I don't get that mod, as I don't know file workings; I will NOT take the CHANCE to fatally screw up my computer .

So I stick with the simple mods : Caravansary Trade Routes, Barb. Unlimited EXP, Barb. Spawn Increase, (always with Raging Barbs ON) and whatever strikes my fancy this week .

-Community Patch,
-Vox Populi, and
Seems like maybe the first two are the same? Also, after downloading one of them, how do you use it?

This is what I can remember someone told me:
The CP fixes various bugs and adds functionality for modders. The CBP also balances out the game on top of the changes of the CP.
I can't recall if the improved AI was already added in the CP or the CBP

-Community Patch,
-Vox Populi, and

The whole project is called Vox Populi.

The core component is a DLL mod that improves the AI and gives added functionality for modders; this is the Community Patch.

The Community Balance Patch is then a full game overhaul using the modified DLL. You're meant to call it the Community Balance Overhaul these days, but lolnope.

I highly recommend using the Community Patch, but the CBP makes some pretty drastic gameplay changes that you might not be interested in.

If you want some less extreme enhancements, then Jifford's got you covered. Note that these require the aforementioned Community Patch, but are not designed to be used with the CBP.

As for using the mod(s), it works the same way as you'd enable any other mod; I believe there are tutorials for doing so in this subforum somewhere if necessary, although it isn't a complicated procedure.

Top Bottom