Going to war before Observation Balloon?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ogaw, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Ogaw

Ogaw Chieftain

Hi,

I am struggling heavily with going to war before having an Observation Balloon. You have bombard but they cannot stand the ranged attacked from Cities.

If I am even with an AI in tech, with musketman, bombard and knight I find that I first need Observation Balloon so that the siege weapons are out of range for cities.

Any tips and tricks about going to war early. How do you make the siege weapon survive?

2. King_Course

King_Course Prince

By having more than 1.

3. Stacked_Deck

Stacked_Deck Chieftain

Build more units, you can war and conquer with all melee troops if you want.

4. frog_gamer

frog_gamer Chieftain

3 archers, 3 warriors, and by attaching all every turn , something always gives

5. Ogaw

Ogaw Chieftain

I see what you mean but I am already using 2 siege weapons. Looking at how many adjacent squares there are per city usually I couldn't fit 3 anyway.

Any more recommendations? Maybe medic.

6. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

I've found the AI's decision-making is not always based on hitting ranged units, but instead the weakest. I'm in the habit now of letting a "tortoise" melee get hit once by the city before moving my ranged into position. They'll always choose the weakest health before the weakest defense, but if all health is equal they will hit the weakest health. If you want to get really fancy and avoid garrisoned archers, let one unit go in behind forests or hills (only city can strike) and then send another in within archer range. Unless it can kill the defender, the AI will split the ranged attacks between the units and the ranged will tear the city up.

7. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Scythia and Sumeria have early units that are OP against the AI's early Warrior spam.

If you're not playing either, the best bet seems to be to spam Slingers and upgrade them to Archers. The new movement rules render ranged incredibly powerful; placed properly, it's more or less impossible for melee to retaliate.

Long story short - pre-Walls war is really easy but you need to get the units down fast enough.

Ogaw likes this.
  8. ddd123

ddd123 Prince

Higher AI cant wait for baloon lol, you must learn to fight even with only warrior and archers.
    Tbh early support unit is decent if you have a strong melee, so either that or try planning so you surround with melee and when siege enter fight have at least 2 but possibly 3 to get in range the same turn. Since you are better than AI 1 usually survive a couple turns, have at least 1 more as replace, and 2 3 archers just in case.
    Sieges are very strong early game they dont need many turns to take down defenses.

9. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

I agree on the support units in general. Another approach you could take is to let the AI burn down your archers/bombards, but have a strong melee with a Siege Tower or even Battering Ram. They'll regret the targeting in that situation.

10. Stacked_Deck

Stacked_Deck Chieftain

The main reason to use more troops is so that you can cycle out damaged ones while maintaining your attack.

11. PendragonWRB

PendragonWRB Prince

In Civ V the AI just needed 'bait' units. It sounds like Civ VI is similar,

12. Ogaw

Ogaw Chieftain

I noticed this was very effective. Basically what I was doing wrong was not using ranged units.

When using a mix of melee/ranged/siege it actually works really well pre-balloon.

13. KmDubya

KmDubya King

Just have your melee tug along a siege tower and a battering ram. Use the ranged troops to kill the enemy army while the melee surrounds the city. The battering ram melee will directly damage the wall health and the siege tower melee will directly damage the city health.

Or just use a horde of horsemen. Surround the city and have everyone attack, when one becomes too damaged either pillage a farm, take a promotion or just run away and replace with a fresh horse.