Going to war with a nuclear country?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Acidrain, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Acidrain

Acidrain Chieftain

Here is the screenshot: http://www.upload.ee/image/1499894/CivilizationV_DX11_2011-07-17_14-25-04-70.png

Difficulty: Emperor
    Map: Standard size, Fractal

Currently I'm trying to get those two Egypt cities, Thebes and Memphis. After that it will be probably Hiawatha, The Iroquois. The problem with him is that he has completed manhattan project, he owns one third of the continent and has warmongering the whole game. He has carriers, tanks, artillery and lots of aircraft. I'm sure he won't hesitate to build nukes and start throwing them like stones. :nuke:

(I'm building manhattan project myself currently (13 turns from the screenshot))

Hiawatha is at war with everyone except me. I am friendly with everyone :king:

What you guys think, is it worth the risk to attack him? Or maybe after Egypt (yellow on map) just go for science victory? Or maybe attack Darius (red on map) after Egypt. There is also Alexander alone on the island.

What would you guys do?

2. Hakizo

Hakizo Chieftain

I'm terrible at reading the regular map, but if you can find his uranium supply and pillage it as soon as you go to war, you will be able to avoid the nuclear risk.

3. GfxJG

GfxJG Warlord

Hmm... I'm no pro, still trying to get my first Emperor victory (King is easy though), so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Looking at your current situation, I'd say Panzer rush Egypt, then heal for a few turns an immedietly go to work on Persia. # of cities (And therefore science) will help you a ton. It looks like your happiness can take it. Just buy some buildings if it can't. The next part I'm saying without knowing how far ahead Hiawatha is technologically. Ally with as many of the City states that share borders with him as possible, find out how many units he has from that, and then do some calucations to find out how many he has total =P Then finish The Manhattan Project, and (Do you have Uranium?) build nukes. Lots of them. Then use 1 or 2 of them to destroy his Uranium supplies (personal experience says they're usually bunched together). Then with his nukes mostly gone, Panzer rush him again. Nuke where neccesary. Win. And screw Alex, he's no threat. Take out ½-3/4 of the Iroqoius cities, then get him to sue for peace, and cruise to whichever victory you like.

4. Gewar

Gewar Chieftain

Sorry about OT, but i have a question - if you destroy opponent's uranium, will it destroy his nukes?

I rarely have nukes in my games (win/abbadon game earlier).
    For other strategic resources that works different (penatly for unit strengh and do-nothing for factories).

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

No, it won't destroy their nukes, only prevent them from building more. You need to destroy the uranium before the nukes are built. So I'd think the key here is to strike before he actually does build nukes. And strike where he has uranium so that it falls under your control. This means that even if he does declare on you in future, he won't be declaring with nukes.

The alternative is to wait until you have nukes yourself, and then nuke any nukes that he has at that stage.

6. That nerdy kid

That nerdy kid Vampire Slayer Slayer

complete the manhattan project, get open borders with him, find his nukes and uranium, and kill that city.

7. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

If he has nukes, you're going to have to put a LONG hold on your plans until you build enough atomic bombers/nuclear missiles to destroy his weapons and his uranium deposits. If you really want to, you can gut his core cities with a strike or two as well to make sure production is too low to mean anything.

8. Acidrain

Acidrain Chieftain

9. J-man

J-man Deity

It could be very interesting for us spectators to see if a first strike could take care of all nukes though..

Declare war and post the results!

10. GfxJG

GfxJG Warlord

Lol, I see Hiawatha took care of Darius for you XD What Policies do you have available to you in 1 turn? Could help knowing that.

11. Acidrain

Acidrain Chieftain

Hiawatha built United Nations and started aggressively out-buy city states from me, he had 50k gold and I can't compete with that lol. So 5 turns before my two last spaceship parts finish. I started war...

Nuked all his border cities and some beyond, I could not reach the far cities, which were the most powerful. He pretty much got owned with that, but all his nukes were still alive. After I took first city from him, he started to nuke the hell out of me, luckily he nuked only one city lol... I lost around 7 units to his nuking and a city, the same city I took from him after my nuke rain to him. He dropped about 5 nukes.

Was funny to watch his land all in smoke, as all the improvements were pillaged cause of the nukes lol. I invaded full in with all my units... I couldn't go through him to far cities tho.. he resisted pretty good, he had LOTS of aircraft, so I backed off to my borders and started to slowly knock off his cities near my borders which I nuked.

This is just after I pulled back from his lands, I had TWICE as much units as you can see here, he killed a lot. ECBATANA is the city which I took from him after my nukes, but after I took it, he nuked it five times and took it back lol.
    http://www.upload.ee/image/1501565/CivilizationV_DX11_2011-07-17_23-21-45-35.png

For luls, after spaceship victory I pressed one more turn button and sent a carrier with three nukes in it from the other side of the continent and nuked three of his big cities, after that he was pretty much done... his economy was broken...

When I got modern armor tech, I upgraded all my panzers to modern armor, 10gold per upgrade, is this normal? a bit cheap lol? Then I just burned all his units. I also sent a nuclear submarine to patrol his coast... that submarine got three carrier kills lol and those carriers were not empty. :D

Social policies at the end:
    http://www.upload.ee/image/1501623/CivilizationV_DX11_2011-07-17_23-35-25-29.png
    I took Humanism from the RATIONALISM tree. Gave me lots of happy faces.

12. SpearMan153

SpearMan153 Prince

another option might have been to gift nukes to alex and let him do the job for you...

13. PrAyTeLLa

PrAyTeLLa Chieftain

Now that would have been interesting. Does anyone know if the AI will use nukes if you gift them during a war? Anyone found they horde them or something?

14. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

MadDjinn stumbled into a possible way to effectively have a limited-term SDI via diplomacy. Read this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=431799

Exploiting that has the potential to let you nuke your opponent while making it impossible for the opponent to respond in kind.

It cuts both ways, so be aware of it before you make a peace with someone if you are fighting two separate wars.