1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Civs - Asia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - CIV Gold' started by Wyz_sub10, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Wyz_sub10

Wyz_sub10 CIV Gold - Project Lead

This thread is for the discussion of Civilizations, Leaders, Unique Units, Unique Buildings, Music and Great People for Asian additions to CIV Gold:

Babylon
    Byzantine
    Indonesia
    Israel
    Khmer
    Korea*
    Pakistan
    Scythia
    Siam
    Sumer
    Tibet
    Turkey*
    Vietnam
    Yemen

* non-Warlords versions only

2. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

Indonesia, personally, I would use a different name because Indonesia is more of a modern country. I would use Java, Polynesia, or Malacca instead.

3. Wyz_sub10

Java was a consideration, definitely. The only reason I went with the modern name was because I planned to have Suharto and Kopassus involved, and because of the sheer size of Indonesia today.

Certainly an older "side" of Indonesia could be shown with a 2nd leader. The planned UB for the civ is the Spice House - a take on the region when it was under Dutch colonial rule.

4. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

I see. Okay, I definetly see the point, even though the only way to truly represent Indonesia is to have the many civilizations from the area in the game.

5. Wyz_sub10

I could add Java separately, and maybe one other to capture that breadth. If you have any specific suggestions for Java, let me know.

6. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

you know for the warlords edition, you'll be kicking out your old Korean LHs, right?
    well, i think you could use one of the old Korean LHs for a Vietnamese leader, espeically Sejong. i think he'll do great for some ancient emperor.

7. Wyz_sub10

Good idea. Sejong might stay, though, as the 2nd Korean leader. Wang Gong will be booted and maybe he can fit elsehwere...?

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

or you could use the old Wang Geon head for Sejong, then replace the old Sejong head for a new more ancient Vietnamese leader...

seriously, i'm Viet, and when i saw sejong for the first time, i thought he looked way more Vietnamese...

9. Wyz_sub10

Do you have someone in mind for a Vietnamese leader?

10. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

well, my vietnamese history is not as great as i should want it to be, but i can name a few leaders of the back of my head (though spelling may be wrong):

- Hung Vuong - A series of early semi-mythological kings in the first millenium BCE. Most of the stuff about them is legend, like one of them having a "crossbow-grenade-shooter" that could kill a bunch of men at once.

- Quang Troung (or something like that) - A late 1700s general/leader who, had he not died, could've conquered all of China or quite a chunk of it.

- There's also this guy whose name i forgot, i think he ruled in the 1400s or something, but he was a great domestic reformer or something...

- Trung sisters - Two women, Trung Nha and Trung Something, that rebelled against Chinese rule in the first century AD. They were sucessful at first, even "refounding" old Vietnam to some extent, but them something happened, not clear what, and they disappear form history...

Personally, i think putting in one of the Trung sisters is more, er, "interesting", as there aren't any female Asian leaders.

And if that little lecture wasn't enough, you could still look on wikipedia. :)

11. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Chieftain

Well at least for Siam I can offer some ideas. First the naming of the cities is wrong. I have only made 2 cities useing your Mod but I notice that Pattaya is the #2 city. I am not even sure I would add Pattaya as a city at all for siam as it wasnt a major city until the 60s, before then it was a fishing villiage. Durring the Vietnam war America used U-Tapao air field near Pattaya, the city kinda grew up with visiting GIs. Very wild, The Vegas of Thailand is what it is called. Anyway, the Original capital of the first kingdom of Thailand was Sukhothai, next was the City of Aythaya. I know Japan uses the original capital perhaps Siam should do the same? Bangkok didnt become the capital until late in the 18th centuary after Ayuthaya was destroyed by the Burmese, and would still be the capital if that event( massive invasion by burma) didnt happen. IMO the names should go something like this--

Bangkok (if you wish to leave the modern day capital)
    Sukhothai
    Ayuthaya
    Bangkok (if you wish to use the original capital)
    Chiang mai
    Phitsanalok
    Nakornsithammarat
    Chiang rai
    Nakorn ratchasima
    khon Kaen
    Kamphaeng Phet
    Bang Saen
    Chon Buri
    Hat Yai
    Ubon Ratchathani
    Songkla
    Phuket(Thalang)
    Chiang Saen
    Chanthaburi
    Pattani
    Hua Hin
    Nong Khai
    Chaiyaphum
    Lamphoon
    Nonthaburi
    Nakhon Sawan
    Udon Thani
    Lampang
    Pak Kret
    Trang

that should be enough, though more can be added if needed.

12. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Chieftain

For Siam some other leader options could be Chalulangkorn (Rama V), son of Mongkut. Most Thais see Rama V as being more important than Mongkut. Mongkut is mainly known becouse of the the deeply flawed movies "The King and I" and "Anna and the king" Though he did start many important reforms and was a good leader. Ramkhamheang was the Original King of Sukhothai, thus the 1st Thai king. He created the alphebet that the Thais still use today almost 900 years ago. Narasuen (the black prince) who brought Siam back from the brink after a Burmese invasion. Won many battles against Burmese, drove them from his country, and killed the Crown Prince of Burma in a 1 on 1 battle fought on Elephent back. Without Narasuen Thai history would have been radically differant. Also the current monarch of Thailand-Adulyadeig Bhumipol the great (Rama IX). A great constitutional Monarch who helped the Thai people in numorous ways. He is the longest riegning Monarch in the world at this time and is treated as a near-God by the Thais. Thailand has been blessed with many able leaders, especially durring the times when they really needed them (19th century).

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

oh, i you know, i just remembered, wyz, its kinda a funny coincidence you put in vietnamese music for the korean leaderheads in the original CivGold...

14. Wyz_sub10

The list isn't wrong, then. ;) Rather, your concern is that the list is for modern Thailand rather than historical Siam. And I agree, of course. I'll look at using your list in future editions.

True, but you could make that argument for a lot of civs, right? I have no problem, though, with applying the list as you provide it, so long as you feel it better represents Thai culture.

Maybe we should take the approach we took with Pakistan (or Firaxis took with India) - start with the modern capital, then go with the ancient cities?

15. Wyz_sub10

To be honest, I wasn't that familiar with the music. The basis of Korea was done by Jecrell (who is no longer on the board). Is it Vietnamese? I wasn't aware.

16. Wyz_sub10

Let me check around for some pictures and see what we can do for LHs.

17. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Chieftain

My fualt. Didnt mean to come accross as a know it all jerk (and I kinda did). The list you have are all legit cities just a little rearanging would make it follow history more closely.

Actually haveing Bangkok is fine as it has been capital for 200 years+. Also I think most people would have never heard of Ayuthaya or Sukhothai. Yes, following the example of Pakistan or india seems to be reasonable

18. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Chieftain

For a new unique unit that would be unmistakibly Thai would be a Krabi-krabong(KK) warrior. KK is a sword fighting art from ancient Sukhothai/Ayuthaya. Ussually using two sword (but not limited to that!) KK is very impressive to watch. Go to "your tube" and type in Krabi Krabong to get a look. Most of it is not choreographed... really cool. Perhaps replacing the Mace men or even Knights? Just a thought.

About Music I have some really beautiful music from N. Thailand I believe it would be absolutly great to have as full zoom/ leaderhead music. I can try and send you some files if you wish?

Unique Building could be the "Wat"- Thai/Khmer Buddhist temple. Not sure how it would differ from a normal temple though. In modern Thailand the wat is still the center of the community, much more than the church in america or Europe. Every family ussually has at least one son join the monkhood for 6 months - 2 year (or longer)

Great people. Hmmm well one great thai artist would have to be--
    Chalermchai Kositpipat He created Wat Rong Khun near Chiang mai. One of the most beatiful wats ever made-- http://www.flickr.com/photos/lucid_stillness/184700266/
    He is a gifted artist dealing mainly with religious themes.
    Another gifted artist is Thawee Nandakwang. http://www.rama9art.org/tawee_n/index.html
    Sunthorn Phu is often refered too as thailands greatest poet.

Well a few great artist to think about anyway

19. Wyz_sub10

Actually, I have the Wat as the Khmer UB right now. The proposed UB for Siam is the Ho Trai, replacing the library. This is one that Amra did for his pack. What are your thoughts on this?

20. Pratputajao

Pratputajao Chieftain

Great Idea. I had forgot about Ho trai...wouldnt have thought of it. They can be quite striking with unique architechture and artwork. Sounds good.