Gold From Trades

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Carl5872, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

Not sure if there was already a thread on this, but I wanted a reference for the gold that you can receive from trades for Luxury and Strategic Resources on the various speed settings.

I only play on marathon, so thats all the info I have. Im assuming the relations are friendly and that the amount listed is the maximum amount you can get for them.

I was going to post numbers, but since the patchm, Ive not been able to get my old maxes

(900 gold up front for a happiness resource or 9 gold per turn and 30 gold up front)

I think the new patch made the AI a little more shrewd.

Please post only if youre certain of the amounts, and remember to include the speed of the game you play.

2. bo_jesus

bo_jesus Chieftain

This is based on my own gameplay and calculations for luxury resource trades.

You can calculate it by 2GPT * <num_turns> * <amount_happiness>.

On Epic which I normally play that was
    2*45*5 pre-patch for 450
    and
    2*45*4 post patch for 360

I checked it on normal pace once and it seemed to use the same formula.
    I believe I could get 240 post patch.
    2*30*4

I don't play marathon so I'm not sure what that would come out to.

Also for the GPT deals the AI is crazy, they don't seem to understand the future value of money so they give you less than it is worth in a GPT trade. The AI should give you the 2GPT * <amount_happiness> in all trades (so 10GPT pre-patch and 8GPT post patch) but for some reason the AI won't give full value.
    However the true value is somewhere between 8GPT and 7GPT post patch because you can sell 2 resources for 15GPT. Also pre-patch I could sell 2 resources for 19GPT. I'd suspect this would hold true for 3 resources and beyond, the AI is willing to pay 2GPT*<amount_happiness> -1 for each GPT trade.

No idea on strategics as I never sell them unless I'm just really strapped for cash, in which case I just accept the best offer from the different AIs.

3. Carl5872

Carl5872 Prince

Thanks!

4. Temron

Temron Chieftain

Gold from strategic resources and open borders seems to have remained the same.

5. PScirocco

PScirocco Chieftain

Strategic resource gives around 45g on standard, I think it's age specific, meaning you're not going to get much, if at all, from selling horses by industrial age.

Selling excess strategic resources to neighbours that are potentially hostile is actually a very good option, as long as their resource dips to red, ALL their dependent units receive a huge damage penalty. So let's say, if you sell 10 iron to rome (who has no iron to begin with) for 450g, a few turns later Aug backstabs and comes at you with an army of legions, they'll easily fall to your defenses because of the penalty, and losing his army he would beg for peace to give you even more gold. Or you can always just take the offensive and take his capital.

I also don't think the AI cares about whether or not they need the resources too, so if you have a massive amount of unused strat resource (like coal and oil, if you have a small empire setup), you can always just sell them off to the enemy least likely to crush you (on higher difficulty even the weakest AI would have a massive coffer).

JUST DON'T SELL URANIUM!