Gold Member: I Luv Gooold!

ongwin

Rebel w/o A Cause
I am here today to discuss the importance of GOLD.
Yes, Gold. You know, that yellowish shiny thingy that supports your empire?

I just finished playing my first Prince game, and unfortunately I lost to enemy space race (space race blows the fun out of the modern era), but I did have a lot of fun playing "gold rush". Before I go on to talk about gold rush, here are some tibits:

1. You can use gold to rush wonders! Only projects (e.g. space parts, the internet) cannot be rushed by gold.

2. Using gold rush gives you instant buildings and units. Basically it saves time.

3. In order to to gold rush, you need a lot of gold (duh)

4. Gold rush can be very useful for war, but you'd have to cut back on research. On the other hand, if you hit your enemy hard enough, you can sue for peace and all his techs.

Gold rush: You must have universal suffrage in order to rush city production by gold. The fastest way to get universal suffrage is to make a rush for the Pyramids, which will enable all government civics, so you can have universal suffrage at the beginning of the game.

The Kremlin: This is a very useful wonder to have because it cuts rush costs by half! Until you research fibre optics that is. And guess what? In my game just now, I paid up 5000 gold to rush The Kremlin: how ironic.

Anyway, I used this to my advantage and rushed many other wonders all into my capital: Hollywood, Rock&Roll, Broadway, Statue of Liberty, Three Gorges Dam and United Nations, all one after another. I also had to set my science to zero to earn 1700 gold a turn. Then I also did a lot of trading of tech for gold with the AI, to squeeze as much cash as I could. It was really fun to see all the wonders popping up in my one city :D

For war: In my game just now, I wanted to go to war with the Persians because they were going to win the space race in 20 turns, and I was still lagging a bit. I had a large surplus of gold, 6000 gold, and I used that to rush modern tanks in all my cities, each one costing me about 300+gold to rush. If I didn't have the Kremlin, it would have cost 600 gold each. Anyway, I also rushed a ton of battleships, transports, submarines, and artillery, all within the space of 5 turns. Then I went to war, only to remember that tanks don't have amphibious ability, so when I attacked the city from the transport I had a 50% penalty. I also found out that you can load GUNSHIPS onto TRANSPORTs. How cool.... I thought you would load them onto carriers, but I guess thats only for planes and jet fighters. Goddamn bombers are too fat to get onto the carriers.

Why Gold Rush? Well if you had some of those remote cities which don't have much access to production (mines), then you can use gold to rush the buildings. I had one city which was taking 116 turns to build a bank.

I think gold is a good way to even out the shortfalls of some of the cities in your empire, because it is like a GENERAL CURRENCY. Imagine if you focused all your cities into churning out as much production as they could individually, then some smaller cities may not be able to have as much production. But if you focused all your cities on commerce and set a good percentage of taxes, you can use the gold to rush the buildings in other places, allowing you to have each and every city just as developed as the capital.

Lastly, I like to use gold rush when I take over enemy cities during a war. After the resistance ends, I always rush cultural buildings such as theatre and temples. Thanks for reading! Feel free to add comments.

If you had that much gold, why not just send out spies and sabotage anyone about to win the space race? And I'm sure that if you had put that gold into research you would have been so far ahead of the comp in tech that you'd have no problems winning the space race yourself.

Oh yeah,I forgot to mention about the spies. Yes, i did try and use spies, and they were friggin expensive. 4000++ gold just to sabotage the damn thing. And they always failed, despite me loading the game 10 times. Thats why I decided to go to war instead.

Also, I was putting in 100% into research before all this started, but someone the AI managed to research faster than me. I'm starting to feel that they some how cheated...

OR the chances were just really really low b/c there was a huge garrison (with or without spies) in the project city...

Lord Sankra said:
Yeah, because the random seed is preserved...

Actually the random seed is not completly preserved. For instance if your unit takes a different path to ts destination( even throught the target is the same and you attack on the same turn), you get different results.

The results will be different, but the results for a given turn and a given direction is predetermined...

Gold rush wonders is kinda lame and stupid, but meh... I swear it sucks bad when the AI rushes a wonder (assuming) 3 turns before yours is done, and in return, what do you get? 1500 gold...

You can use spies to sabotage tile improvements as well. I bet the enemy wont be finishing that spaceship real soon after all those mines and lumbermills get blown up.

Secondly, instead of using all those tanks to attack his city, just land on a hill or forest nearby. Then march your stack thru their empire pillaging all the +hammer tiles. Bye bye production!

Top Bottom