Gold mine b4 farm to speed research?

dylanmeditates

Warlord
I wonder whether I should farm the corn or mine the gold first. Farming first will get my city to size 3-4-5 faster to get my settler out first... but mining the gold first will get me to pottery faster to cottage those flood plains. Thoughts?
(boudica starts w mysticism and hunting. Terrible)

Edit: can't get my screen shot to take pics of civ right now for some reason. So just know, there is corn, gold, and about 6 flood plains, and lots of trees. First turn, opening worker. But should my worker come out and farm or mine?

Attachments

• boudi.png
    boudi.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 166
Depends on your level perhaps? If a lower level game maybe you could go for the gold but as you get to the higher levels the food will be too important and it's an easy call to farm first. Try it one way after saving and go back and replay it the other way and see how things look around 1000bc.

Farm..and I would say you never do gold first on any level...makes no sense. You simply don't grow on gold. I ...might...mine a grassland gem if I can start mine first turn instead of whatever food...depends.

...farm or mine?

I'll support those who suggest you should Farm the Corn first.

Since your attached png-file is black (!) I don't see the picture. So...do you have many forests around? If you do, Bronze Working is your friend. Don't really need to wait for your city to grow to size three when you can chop the first Settler.

But anyway, I kind of lean towards farming two flood-plains in addition to the Corn, and not Cottage them over until after your initial expansion-phase is over (that is, when you don't have any plans for more Settlers in the near future...).

Yours Sincerely
Kjotleik of Norway :)

Even if it was a Grass Hill Gold (do they exist?) or a Grassland Gems, I’d still say grow on the Corn first. Growing fast is just too important. It might be a different story if you had Grass Gems and crappy food like dry Rice, crustaceans, or plains Cow – but I can’t see how it would ever make sense to work a 0-food tile when size 1.

There is a very rare exception where gold before farm could make sense, which is when you want to build 2 workers before growing. I think it would require that you are expansive and start with Mining, so you can tech BW and chop the second worker, and then improve several food tiles quickly with the 2 workers.

Grass gold doesn't exist naturally, but it can be created with worldbuilder.

I thought it was possible in one of the non standard map scripts. I remember seeing it before.

I thought it was possible in one of the non standard map scripts. I remember seeing it before.

Probably that Fantasy map script...maybe Rainforest, but not sure. I don't recall it. I think the only time I've seen grass Gold is on cooked maps.

Top Bottom