1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold needed to change policy?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by myclan, Oct 26, 2020.

1. myclan

myclan Prince

Trying to find a formula without success, can anyone tell me how does it count?

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I believe it scales with techs/civics like the others but I have not checked by how much. You want me to delve?

CoconutTank and myclan like this.
  3. myclan

myclan Prince

The cost also seems to gradually decline when sticking to the current policies, but I don't know about the detail. Thanks a lot if you could help:goodjob:

4. Victoria

Initial findings and guesses
    The number of techs/civics has a ceiling and floor unlock cost
    When you change civics, the next turn they cost the ceiling price to change
    Every turn after that they degrade by 15/10/5 (may be higher on later levels)
    They stop degrading when they hit the floor price.
    Unlocking and changing civics bumps them back up to their max
    ... so if you finish a civic but do not change civics, it is pretty cheap to unlock lateras it is using the floor price or close to it.

You cannot buy an unlock the same turn as you have changed civics
    Pillaging and eureka completions immediately up the price by 5/10
    Difficuly has no effect, maybe speed does, need to check.

So finding ceilings and floors is next I guess. Many values degrade by a turn before you see them due to EOT or just oddness so mabe the base is number of civics*5 and the ceiling is 100+ techs+civics*5 or the greater of the two. It will be around here somewhere

Just initial findings but thought I would provide some stats to start

upload_2020-10-27_17-12-14.png

This one from the start of being able to buy, testing unlocking and depreciation
    upload_2020-10-27_18-17-45.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    wesplaysciv and pokiehl like this.
  5. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

It is interesting however as you get so many free chances to change civic nobody uses gold to unlock them.

Shall remove the free civic change, make it that every time you need to change a civic you must use gold.

6. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

That would be quite an interesting gameplay twist. I'd like to try it.

7. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

My guess:

Cost= 100*(1+9*progression_factor)*max(0.15, 1-0.1*t) , rounds down to 5 gold.

progression factor=max(tech/total_techs, civic/total_civics)

t=number of turns from the last time you unlock the civic change(either through gold or through completion of civic/slot wonder/dark age entering)

Question: Does government matters?

Victoria likes this.
  8. Victoria

Still lots to test, and I take it easy nowadays, I prefer to play more and test less but will get there. Thanks for a formula, these things really help.
    So not looed at governments or speed or eras etc. Just goot the simple mechanics down for a start. It is a small area.
    I find it interesting that if you forget to change civics the cost is relatively small to change next turn, but if you make a bad choice and need to change, it is more expensive.

9. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

I wouldn't mind a change there either. Though mine would be more from a immersion perspective (laws are not changed freely and without any resistance in a country). The change could be done with gold for every time civic cards are changed or go even a step further. A lesser form of anarchy, civil disorder, could be reintroduced in the form of -x% (not too harsh of course: -10% to maybe -20%) on some (or all) yields for 1 turn. But even the possibility to change cards for free to cost a bit of gold seems a good idea. The gold cost could also be tied on number of cards that are being changed.

10. criZp

criZp Emperor

It still makes sense to me that a player should be able to slot in any newly unlocked policy without paying, it's just the "unlock new policies, slot in completely different ones for free" that is dumb.