1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

gold per turn is messed up

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Dr. Broom, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Dr. Broom

Dr. Broom Warlord

For some reason the AI will never trade me any gold per turn. It won't even trade me 1 gold per turn for several technologies, 3000 lump sum gold or if I try to sue for peace and I am winning. Somebody please help me as I can never get full value for technology or other things this way.

2. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

This appears to be a gameplay question, rather than a technical issue. Moving to the General Discussion forum. ;)

As to the answer, it sounds like your reputation is shot. Do a search for "Reputation" on the forums. You should get lots of clues as to what might be wrong. (I would suggest searching for "Rep Hit", but the search software insists all search terms must be at least 4 characters.)

3. Dr. Broom

Dr. Broom Warlord

That can't be it because they will NEVER give me any gold per turn, even when they are polite or gracious. It seems it happened after I downloaded the 1.29f patch and I can't find a way to uninstall the patch because if I reinstall the game it is automatically 1.29f even though that isn't my CD version.

4. Catt

Catt Emperor

Two things: (1) the AI will never pay gpt if it isn't running a surplus -- even with thousands of gold in the treasury, if paying 1 gpt would put the AI into a per-turn loss based on its income, it won't pay it; and (2) "polite" and "gracious" are attitude indicators -- you could have a terrible reputation but still have many gracious AI civs. Reputation is damaged when you breach a 20-turn deal or declare war with units in enemy territory; it is your reputation that might prevent a gpt deal, not the AI attitude.

5. Dr. Broom

Dr. Broom Warlord

I really think it is a technical problem because I do not usually breach agreements and the AI just can't ALWAYS, ALWAYS be in debt with the gold per turn can it?

6. Riccett

Riccett Chieftain

I have found that until the Industrial age, the AI will HARDLY EVER fork out gpt. Once in a great while I can get them to give out a small amount in gpt in the medevil age, but I don't think I have ever been able to get gpt deals from the AI in the ancient age. And, in both cases, I have had a spotless rep. I think it is programmed that way. If somebody knows a way to get them into gpt deals in these eras, PLEASE share!!!

7. Catt

Catt Emperor

A technical issue would be very unusual.

The AI frequently never has a surplus until well into the Middle Ages. Additionally, the reputation issue is not always well understood, and many breaches occur inadvertantly and without any pop-up or warning of any kind. Breaches can even occur through actions that seem to without blame to you. Common accidental breaches include declaring war with a unit in enemy territory (for example a ship, or a unit that starts its turn in your territory but declares war by attacking an AI city or unit in AI territory without a formal declaration of war before the unitmoves into the territory), or having a trade route blocked by barbarian galleys or enemy territory that blocks a trade route.

A good test is to offer the deal, and even though your advisor says they'd "never accept" or would be "insulted," to propose the deal anyway. If the AI response references any prior activity ("the Mongols told us of your perfidy") then a tarnished reputation is the cause.

8. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Warlord

Just to clarify, when the advisor says "they'd be insulted" it means that when you increase your offer enough, they'd agree to it, but when the advisor says "they'd never accept", they would never accept the deal.

The above is a nice way of finding out how much the AI is making per turn.

9. Dr. Broom

Dr. Broom Warlord

I know about breaches and all that but that isn't happening I usually stick to my territory until I openly declare war on another civilization.

10. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

One option would be to post a savegame here that some of the *experts* could look over. ;)

11. Dr. Broom

Dr. Broom Warlord

Good idea, I will start a game and post a save of it in a few days.

12. Mathias

Mathias OCC Rocks!

Concerning reputation and gpt deals, no matter how shot your reputation is, the AI will still give gpt for tech/gold. What they will not do is accept gpt/luxuries from you for tech/gold.

13. Dr. Broom

Dr. Broom Warlord

Here is a save, any help I would aprieciate

14. the mormegil

the mormegil Emperor

I know exactly what you mean, the AI will NEVER give gpt EVER with me also. It seems that it only does this after I installed Conquests.

BTW, what level are you playing on Dr. Broom?

15. Pook

Pook Bloviating

I agree with that as well. I play Emperor level with C3C 1.15. I used the 999 trick discussed on another thread, and found that the Romans were making 199 gpt. The "polite" Romans wouldn't trade 1 gpt for a tech, but were more than happy to turn over 300 lump sum. I believe it's a technical problem.

16. Halcyon

Halcyon 9000

I've seen the AI count GPT negatively in a deal, such that my side of the table was worth less if i added GPT. As a result Egypt was insulted by a GPT gift. Odd.

17. the mormegil

the mormegil Emperor

Yes! The same happened to me aswell! There is something seriously wrong with this.

18. jorde

jorde Leaderhead Engineering

That seems to be true... sometimes, when I'm very lucky, I can get 1 or 2 gpt from the AI at the Middle Ages... however, as soon as they hit Industrial Ages I can get some deals for 500 gpt :D

I used to think it may have to be related to the AI knowing Economics, but I just found out that them knowing it wont change a thing

19. Mad Bomber

Mad Bomber Commander

Dr. Broom:

The problem is clearly that the AI is broke. I am not talking about Broke like the US is currently I am talking Mexico 1995, Germany 1929 BROKE.

The main problem is that you are playing on Chieftain and the AI is limited to a city or two.

Let me ask one question:

What the hell are you doing!

You have at least 4 city sites you have not exploited, you have not explored in the least, your army is barely capable and you only have 3 slave workers. This just is not going to get the job done even on chieftain.

Here's a screenshot of your situation

Attached Files:

20. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

No newbie bashing please. It's just a game.

Dr Broom etc: when you say never, how often is that? Do you check each turn?

Try watch the treasury of the civ over a few turns. If it's decreasing, the AI wont agree to gpt deals. But be prepared when it reaches zero, because then the AI probably adjust their sliders. They will most likely have gpt to trade but since they are trading happy the available gpt may soon go to other AIs.

The less gold a civ makes per turn the more likely will it be able to set its slider so that it makes exactly 0 gpt, with no gpt available for deals.