1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Statistics for capturing Towns/Cities/Metropolis

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by Aceman101, May 24, 2007.

1. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Gold Statistics for capturing Towns/Cities/Metropolis

Part One: The Test

I tested towns, cities and metropolis's to see if capturing larger cities would bring more gold. Here's what I got...

I gave each civ 10 towns, cities or metro's. I gave Egypt Towns, Greece Cities and Babylon Metro's.

First I razed Egypt's town, I got 5 gold (I gave all civs 100 gold)

That is 5% of the total gold. Which is quite modest, because there are only 10 towns.

I Razed Greece's City, I got 7 gold. That's a 2 gold difference. Remember I did count through the towns,cities, metro's thoroughly and I gave all civs 10.

That's 7% the total gold. We're getting better now!

Next, Bab's Metro, 10 gold. 3 gold increase...

Finally we are up to 10%!

I didn't need to raze any more, as I already know that it will just add up to 100 gold anyway...

PLEASE NOTE: You might be wondering what happens to the rest of the gold once all 10 towns are razed/captured, since you only get 5% of the total gold (100), and you'd need 20 towns to get all the gold, Well I tested this also... It goes like this, The first and second towns get the normal 5 gold. The third and fourth get 6. The Fifth and Sixth get about 9. The eighth and ninth get about 17, and the last town gets all the rest of the gold. So it does go up, but the last town is the one that's getting a lot of the gold. This is very rough, so it could be a bit off, but it's somewhere along the lines of what I'm presenting.

As for cities: Same thing happens.

Part 2: What Happens With Metropolis's?

Because you only need 10 metro's to yield 100 gold, it stays at a consistent rate of 10 gold each time captured and/or razed, but I may be wrong here. This is just what happened in my test...

This was not a thorough test, but a basic understanding of how much gold you gain by conquering larger cities.

Part 3: Explained in detail

So razing/capturing a town gives 0.5 the amount as a metro does. You will get more gold quicker. However, razing towns/cities or metros has no effect on how much more gold you will get than there is in the AI's treasury. You could capture/Raze 20 towns or 20 cities but if the AI had no gold or only a few tens, you will get the same amount.

However, you probably can't conquer the entire civ in 1 turn, so by the next turn the enemy civ would have spent some more if not all of it's gold upgrading units. So if you have the chance to raze/capture a metro, you may want to do it first before capturing/razing towns and cities. If your strategy is to bombard the cities to size 1, then by all means. Don't let this stop you!

I find when I'm at war the AI usually always has 0 gold. If this is the case, this is useless information as there would be no gold to claim. Thus, each time a town/city/metropolis is razed/captured you will always only get 0 gold.

If the AI has lot's of gold, like a few thousand, then capturing a metro rather than a city can bring you a few hundred more gold. And by the next turn, the AI will probably have used a large fraction of gold for upgrades, faster tech, lux increase. If not all, so I'm just telling you this as a note for your next battle.

So just by razing/capturing metro's instead of towns you can get 5% more gold. You can try this the next time you raze/capture towns.

The formula would probably be (TotalGold)/(NumCities)*(0.5 for towns, 0.75 (more logical than 0.7) for cities, 1 for metropolises), with .5 rounding down.

This test was done with Civilization 3 Complete edition. Results may vary with other versions.

Special Thanks To

TimBently: For the formula.
    thetrooper: For being a helpful lurker.
    btfx: For suggesting larger cities get more gold, which encouraged me to give it a test.

2. TimBentley

TimBentley Chieftain

3. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Yes, that's right.

4. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Thanks to Aceman for doing the test and TimBentley for making the formula.

:)

5. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

And thetrooper for helping out.

6. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Nah, my initial and non-educated guess was Totalgold/# of cities.

No modifier for city size!

7. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

You can still be in the 'Special thanks to' list for helping out. So can btfx, for suggesting that cities get more gold.

8. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

There, added it in... :D

9. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

I think you should ask Thunderfall to consider adding your findings to the War Academy :)

10. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

It's probably not that good...

11. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

But it explains a part of the game mechanics:goodjob:

12. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

:yup:

Every little bit of information is good.

And some of us just love formulas...

:D

13. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

And it should also be moved to the Strategy Articles section.

14. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Ok, but if if is to be added, I might have to edit it before it's added, and make it a bit more clear. I didn't think that it might be going to the war academy. :eek:

Also, with TimBentley's permission, I can add the formula in it, so that IF it does get added everyone will see the formula. :)

15. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Chieftain

Thanks for the info. I had some idea it was like this but I didn't know the formula.

Maybe you would tell what game version and patch number you tested?

16. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Yes, I could do that. But I'll have to wait for TimBentley's permission to add the formula in, then i'll edit it in.

17. Aceman101

Aceman101 Chieftain

Because it could take a while for TimBentley to reply, I added the formula already, I'm sure he won't mind. Nevertheless, if he doesn't want it copied to the post, I will remove it. :)

(EDIT): Also, the game version was added and some grammar errors were fixed.