1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gold

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Dryhad, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Dryhad

Dryhad Prince

In Civ4, the valuable resources are all practical. Iron and Horses for units, Marble and Stone for wonders, these are the resources to fight for. But historically there's been another magnet of human greed, one that deserves a great deal more benefit than an extra happy face in each city.

Precious resources like Gold, Silver, and Gems should be made more desirable. Historically, economies have been built on these resources. They should therefore be given a more economic role in the game, perhaps slowing the rate of inflation or even just giving a flat bonus to wealth. One shouldn't need to own the mine in order to get an economic benefit, there should be reasons to trade for it.

Any ideas of how to make gold more relevant?

2. CCRunner

CCRunner Deity

Gold is somewhat relevant, just not in the resource form. Slowing down inflation would only be useful late in the game, whereas gold mines where just as profitable in the BC's. What about an increased chance for the motherload event?

3. Dryhad

Dryhad Prince

That's the point, though. It should be relevant in the resource form.

For that reason, the motherlode event wouldn't work. The resource itself should have an economic impact, not the mine that harvests it.

4. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

The most obvious thing I can think of would be additional Happy faces. At first I thought just giving it another building or two (like Forge does) would work. There is precedent for this in the American Mall and Greek Odeon each granting happiness over the Broadcast Tower from the Wonder resources.

Alternately, they could simply give an extra Happy.

Even more alternately, actually HAVING such a resource under your control could grant happiness, either to just that city the way Forest Preserves do, or to the whole empire like the Holy Mountain Quest does. (Or both!)

The previous two ideas could even be combined, so that these resources are more desireable to have through trade, AND still-more desireable to own.