Golden Age Color Scheme Feedback

Duuk

Doom-Sayer
Supporter
I know I'm quite literally a very small minority (5% of all males), but I have severe red-green color blindness.

When I'm in a golden age (which is frequently, because I'm obsessive about it already :D ), the yellow/golden hue overlay on the map makes game features much harder to distinguish on the map.

Could we have a way to disable that? I love the sparkly gold around the turn ending button, but the golden urine all over the map makes it hard for me to see stuff.

Damn, if I had the programming skills I would make a mod directly focusing on the problem you have, but sadly, I do not. Hopefully, this catches the attention of people who are able to program. I too don't quite enjoy the golden/highly saturated overlay as well to be honest.

I'm not mad, and I never get really upset at video game companies about it, because I know that I'm in the minority of the minority. I'm in the "severe" category. So while about 1/3 of all males have some color blindness, I have significant loss. As in "kept me out of the US Navy" level. The only video game company to ever take it seriously enough to cater to it was Blizzard, WoW has an amazing color blindness panel that offers adjustments tailor made for different types of color blindness. It's one of the reasons I randomly throw money at Blizzard on occasion. You have to reward companies for that stuff.

If someone at Firaxis ever wanted to PM me for my top 3-4 quality of life issues with Civ6, I'd be eternally grateful. Because I'm probably one of the only people on the forum that hates the parchment Fog of War / Minimap because it's hard to use. Sleeping / fortified units get lost in terrain because they're too transparent. The new Golden Age hue only makes things worse.

The game is still fun, it's not unplayable, it's just a constant reminder of why I don't play online multiplayer games that require speedy moves :D

I don't care for it (yet). I expect we will see a few mods very shortly that deal with this and some other qol issues. The city banner display is another.

Yesterday during my first play-through I looked into options if there is checkbox to disable it, because when I entered heroic age from dark age, it was quite big saturation change. I find this idea not that bad. It's a nice touch. But I expected it will get a bit annoying pretty soon like time of day and I will prefer to disable it. Unfortunately I did not found option for this, but it was similar thing for me with unit auto-cycle at release date - there was no option in game, but modification in ini file was possible. I cannot check it now and will look for it later when I get home, but maybe someone (or you) can take a look at ini configuration files if there is variable for it there.

I feel your pain, I have poor contrast vision and stuff already did sorta blur together in Vanilla but with the piss and ash filters it's even worse. Also the glare in a golden age gives me eyestrain and makes me crave sunglasses.

Yea, when I first saw this effect in the first look videos, I though "oh God, I hope there will be a setting in the options to disable this". I'm not color blind or anything, and I haven't played RF yet, but I have a strong feeling I will not like that very much, especially when going from a dark age to a golden age.

Damn, if I had the programming skills I would make a mod directly focusing on the problem you have, but sadly, I do not. Hopefully, this catches the attention of people who are able to program. I too don't quite enjoy the golden/highly saturated overlay as well to be honest.
I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me during my very long game as the Dutch yesterday...

However I definitely understand that this might be overly annoying to some, and cause actual problems for people with color blindness. Perhaps the OP should post over in the Mod request forum - I can't imagine that this will be a really difficult thing to mod.

While I am not color blind myself, your concern is very valid. If I may suggest (and if Firaxis can pass this along, @FXS_Sarah ) maybe Golden / Heroic Age visual effect be limited to golden menu bar, golden end turn button, and the overall golden hue to be limited to a golden edge aura effect within the window borders.

There should definitely be an option to disable it.

Just went through *.ini files in civ folder and there is nothing with name obvious enough to assume it's allowing to disable this effect. Unfortunately for now it looks like mods can be only solution for this if it's not actually hard-coded.

I'm not mad, and I never get really upset at video game companies about it, because I know that I'm in the minority of the minority. I'm in the "severe" category. So while about 1/3 of all males have some color blindness, I have significant loss. As in "kept me out of the US Navy" level. The only video game company to ever take it seriously enough to cater to it was Blizzard, WoW has an amazing color blindness panel that offers adjustments tailor made for different types of color blindness. It's one of the reasons I randomly throw money at Blizzard on occasion. You have to reward companies for that stuff.

Civ III was the last title in the series to have an official option for colour blind people from memory. I don't remember it changing much; but then I'm likely not as bad as you are (though I'm bad enough to have repainted some wooden pieces in board games because I couldn't tell them apart in a glance). I certainly agree that any company that does cater for it deserves big props! :agree:

I do not understand much about your condition, so I am not sure if this would help, there is something called photokinetic westeros, which changes the colour a bit.
forums.civfanatics.com/resources/updated-photokinetik-westeros-civ-vi.25428/update?update=22729

I couldn't get to that link?

Personally, I really like it and don’t want it to change for my games.

However, others don’t like it or have an actual hinderence because of it, so it should be able to be disabled.

Seems like a reasonable request.

Yea, when I first saw this effect in the first look videos, I though "oh God, I hope there will be a setting in the options to disable this". I'm not color blind or anything, and I haven't played RF yet, but I have a strong feeling I will not like that very much, especially when going from a dark age to a golden age.
I'm finaly in my first RF game and both the first ages are gold (not ancient of course) and I must say I don't mind the saturation so much. Don't know how about the dark age and going between gold and dark... Anyway, the effect is not giving me anything possitive and I would immediately turn it off if it was possible directly in the game. It's not bothering me it too much to get a mod for it, though.

Civ III was the last title in the series to have an official option for colour blind people from memory. I don't remember it changing much; but then I'm likely not as bad as you are (though I'm bad enough to have repainted some wooden pieces in board games because I couldn't tell them apart in a glance). I certainly agree that any company that does cater for it deserves big props! :agree:

I couldn't get to that link?
I am also not sure what happened, I changed the link now.

What is the name of mod someone mentioned before? I can't find it and I have to get rid off this color scheme?

What is the name of mod someone mentioned before? I can't find it and I have to get rid off this color scheme?
u can change it from the file,should be in dlc /expansion/ters a lua file called eras if i recall.let me know if sill need and ill check

Top Bottom