Golden Age effects/timing?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by marstinson, Jul 20, 2008.

1. marstinson

marstinson Chieftain

Would someone correct me if my understanding is wrong, but I was somehow under the impression that a Golden Age allowed you to switch civics without anarchy. If this is the case, I may have hit a "feature" that had me tearing my hair out this evening.

A bit of story-telling for the set up: I got dealt one of the wackiest starts I've ever seen with Monty and Toku (my favorite psychos) immediately to my north, Cathy to my southwest, Cyrus south, Julius east, Mansa northeast and FDR west. One big continent with me stuck in the middle. I was almost ready to dump and start a new one after I met the neighbors, but decided that I'd at least go down fighting (I had Napoleon). I played the diplomacy game like I've never played it before and somehow managed to stave off a DoW from anyone until the very end while I axe rushed Julius right off the bat, got rid of Mansa and Toku, kept Cyrus confined to his own little corner and even had Monty Pleased with me for most of the game. By about 1850 I saw a Domination victory hanging right in front of me on a game where I figured from the start that I'd be extinct by AD.

So I'm just about ready to bury Cyrus. My production is ramped up and I've got the Taj Mahal coming online to trigger a Golden Age at the appropriate moment so I can completely overwhelm him and put the final nail in the magic 64%.

I get the message that my Golden Age had begun and then FDR (the only leader who's buddy-buddy with Cyrus at this point) shows up and wants me to adopt his favorite civic. "What the heck," says I. "I've got a GA that just started, so I'll throw him a bone that might keep him off my back while I declare on his friend and since there's no anarchy, it's all to the good." Wrong-o. Anarchy immediately followed by the Taj movie announcing my GA. And all of my lovely production just sitting there until the anarchy went away.

Apparently it's the movie that triggers the GA effects, not the announcement at the beginning of the turn. Should I go cry "Bug!" or is this something that's known already? It hasn't been an issue before because I'd always used GPs when I need one at just the right moment.

To finish the story, my bone didn't help and FDR declared on me anyway. I got Catherine to declare on him while I finished nailing Cyrus and then mauled his bespectacled behind while I waited for Cyrus' cities to come out of anarchy and start popping their borders. Ruin my GA, will ya? Would have had well more than 64% except that most of FDR's cities still hadn't come out of anarchy when I got the victory message.

Sorry for the ramble, but I wanted to ask before crying "Bug!" and had to share my woo-hoo moment.

2. Genv [FP]

Genv [FP] Website Moron

The golden age only begins after the taj mahal is built. I see no bug.

3. Desert-Fox

Desert-Fox King

Wrong! Golden ages begin by great people and random events too.

4. Zanttu

Zanttu Pure Tactician

It's not a bug. If the AI comes asking you something, it's not your turn. It's the AI's turn. The golden age from Taj Mahal begins when you complete the wonder, and you don't complete it before your turn begins. Well, the bug here would be that there shouldn't be a message about your golden age before your turn actually begins.

5. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Did you not read the OP? He's not wrong.

6. marstinson

marstinson Chieftain

Thanks, Zanntu. That clears up the matter for me. Future strategy: ignore messages until something actually shows up.