golden age question

Redbad

should have shaved
I have three kinds of great persons: a prophet, a scientist and some artists. Because I have little use for the prophet and the scientist I want to use them to start a golden age. However I don't want to use artists right now, so they have to stay around. It will be my first golden age, so it will consume two great persons. As everybody knows I can initiate the golden age by selecting that option available by one great person.

My question is: is there a way to make sure that the golden age will use my prophet and scientist and not one of artist?

DaveMcW said:
Yes, put them both on the same tile and move the artists away.

In the event that this isn't possbile
(or would take many turns to do, i.e. it is over seas, and would take 10-15 turns to get the two you want to use on the same tile)

What is the protocol?

Does the game take the next closest GP, to the one you use?

having never used a great leader for golden ages, i have no clue, but i may have a suggestion.

if the computer considers the "start a golden age" action to be one that uses up the Great persons turn, then maybe moving all the artists will make them non available for the golden age thing, and the computer will take the two you didnt move.
i'm just guessing though, so before you use this, test it in a non GOTM game or something.

@Redbad - since you have a save with three GPs, you can manipulate them, e.g. select, move, put them at different distances, put them all in the same city, whatever. Repeat the expirement 10 times or so for every particular conditions and post results here.

Another interesting tactic I read about, but not sure if it still works. Get 4 GP selected and then start your golden age. Apparantly you get two golden ages back to back for just 4 GP instead of 2+3=5, or even 3 GA with 6 isntead of 2+3+4=9.

I never tried it, but if it works it might be well worth saving your GP in some cases.

If that works it's an exploit and should not be used in a GOTM game.

Yeah, I guess it could be considered an exploit, but it does come at a price.

You have to save GP, which could be used for academies, technology, etc.

Say you use your first GP for a shrine/academy. The second GP will cost 300 GPP on epic, then 450, then 600, 750. That's 2100 GPP (about 100 turns? Quarter of the game) or 4050 GPP if you want to get 3 GAs.

It could be considered an exploit, but it does come at a significant cost. Could be considered strategical choice. It may even be designed that way.

Let's test if it works first, though.

The mere fact that you have to select all 4 GP's at once and can't do 2 then 2 again in the same turn is what points out that it's an exploit and not intended by the developers. I don't know if it works, but if it does work then it is definitely an exploit.

Top Bottom