1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Ages and Great People - A quick question

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Revenant, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Revenant

Revenant Warlord

I've got three Great People; Spy, Scientist and Merchant and it takes two to start a golden age. Is the a way to ensure that when I click to start a golden age that it will save the merchant? I need him for Sushi :)

2. bakshi

bakshi Prince

Wont having both the spy and scientist selected make sure they use them?

3. Bushface

Bushface Deity

Move the ones you want to use out of the city by one tile, group them (this is important) and then call for your Golden Age.

4. Quothz

Quothz Chieftain

If I'm not mistaken, selecting multiple great-type people and punching the big gold button will attempt to start multiple golden ages if you have enough others lying around somewhere.

The game will always chew up the closest eligible great people, however, so just moving the ones you want to sacrifice near to one another (and away from those you want to save) will do the trick. Ideally, they should all be on a tile or city together with no others there.

5. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

I had a pile of Great People in one city. I selected two of them and clicked the Golden Age button, and got three Golden Ages in a row. Needless to say, this was not a happy surprise.

If you have extra GP on the same tile as the group you've selected, the game will try to use the extras too. So make sure the two you select are out in the woods, alone.

6. Quothz

Quothz Chieftain

Hrm, are you sure you didn't have the Mausoleum? That would make two ages look remarkably like three. I just did a quick test using the worldbuilder, and here's what I get:

If you select one great on a tile with others, the game will eat up eligible units as they're displayed, left-to-right.

If you have a multiple selection with the correct number of greats for one golden age, and no others on the same tile, you get one gold age.

Here's where it gets hinky: If you've selected multiple great folk, and there's enough unselected units on the same tile to trigger at least one golden age (when teamed with one of your selected guys) -and- enough great types anywhere to fire a golden age for each other selected great, it will pull the trigger for each one you have selected.

(That is, say your next gold age costs two greats, and you have three different ones on the tile and two more elsewhere. You select two and hit the button. You'll get two golden ages.)

If there are -not- enough on the tile to fire a golden age without eating into the selection, you'll get one hit. So if your next age costs three, and you have four on the tile and enough elsewhere for three ages, and select three, you get one age. :crazyeye: In this case, the game first uses the selected folks, then others, left-to-right as eligible.

If you select one great guy who's by his lonesome, but need others, the game eats the closest one. If there are multiple, equidistant possibilities, the game picks the ones you'd least like to lose, out of spite.

I think except in extremis, you'll want all your chosen together and no others with them, with only one selected. That seems like the safest bet t'me.

7. Fraxander

Fraxander Chieftain

i hardly use Golden Ages but i always see the AI using it most of the time when going to war,how useful is Golden Age??

8. Quothz

Quothz Chieftain

Pretty darned useful. I'm not a great player, so I can't give you a thesis on gold ages, but I use them a good bit mid- to late-game. Early game, your lands and aren't well-developed enough to take full advantage. I play at epic, and I'll pull the trigger two or three times in a game, usually using at least one artist or spy. Often, my first age fires if I get the free artist from music. If have any chance at all to get the Taj Mahal, I'll try for it, because, hey, free golden age.

I tend t'use them at peace. Generally, I use 'em (a) if I'm roughly at tech parity and want to jump ahead a bit (especially right before a war), (b) right after a long war, to bolster my economy while I catch up on infrastructure, (c) I'm about to make a couple-few civic changes and I'm not spiritual (which often coincides with the first two), or (d) near the end of a fightin' game, to press an advantage and steamroll my rivals. Rarely, I'll use them if I find myself in an unexpected war with a superior rival, to swap civics around and desperate-like try to get an edge.

9. rabidveggie

rabidveggie King

I like to use a golden at least a couple times in a game. When I plan to make a big civic change is one of them since you don't suffer anarchy when in one. The other being when I'm caught by surprise in a war and need to mass produce units or if I hit assembly line and want to get all my factories up and running quickly.

10. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

I did have the Mausoleum, and I did take it into consideration when looking at how many GAs I'd started. It wouldn't have affected how many GP I'd just lost, so it's not all that easy to confuse 2 with 3, but thank you for suggesting something which may help someone else.

Awesome. I'll try that next time.

Amazingly useful if you're not Spiritual, really quite useful even if you are. The most useful bit IMHO is the free civics change during a GA: get into Nationalism and start drafting! Get into Slavery and start whipping!

Regarding war, it seems like one of Universal Suffrage, Slavery, or Nationalism are your go-to choices, with support from Vassalage and/or Theocracy.

It could also be that the civ which triggered the GA is looking at its increased GA commerce as being enough to make up for the commerce lost by closing borders & going to war.