Goldfinger

Zkribbler

Deity
Tania Mallet, the actress who in Goldfinger was decapitated by Oddjob's hat, recently died.
In her memory, I watched the video.

...And got to wondering if Goldfinger could be remade today.

Bond begins by investigating Goldfinger for gold smuggling. Because the price of gold and of currencies now float, there is no longer motivation for gold smuggling. :sleep:

Bond is a womanizer, and often violates today's post-me-too norms. :nono:

Many portions of the book & movies are just bad. :shake: The golfing contest is dreary. There's a golden corpse in a Miami hotel room, but apparently no police investigation into the whereabouts of her former employer, a man known for his love of gold. The gangsters, supposedly the best in America, are idiots. They talk in cliches and none brings so much as a single bodyguard to a meeting where each is expecting to be paid $1M.

The Flying Circus attack Fort Knox with five prop planes. Apparently, Fort Know lacks air defenses.

So, can we have a remake?

I'd say as a comedy, but that already sounds like a comedy (I have never sat through an entire Bond movie, not even Moonraker).

Any Bond movie with Roger Moore is utter [pissed]
The actress who played the female lead in that one ended up on Dallas, playing the part of Holly Harwood. She had an affair with J.R., carefully timed so Sue Ellen would catch them in bed together and be driven back to drinking.

(it's crazy how I still remember stuff like that)

Not even Moonraker? That's a good thing. It's got a decent start but it gets really silly. It's basically Goldfinger in Space. Just like A View To A Kill is Goldfinger in Silicon Valley or Tomorrow Never Dies is Goldfinger in the South China Sea, and Quantum of Solace is Goldfinger in Bolivia.

Basically, Goldfinger became the template for the James Bond formula, and we are constantly seeing 'remakes' of it with different characters and settings and small variations.

When you've watched all of them repestedly, it's hard not to notice the similarities.

Top Bottom