Goldflash's New Secret Project

Goldflash

Grumpy Old Man
So I've been hinting that I've been conceptualizing a new mod and have completely stopped working on that fantasy thing. And it's true- I decided to get off my kiester and contribute something. It is a Historical Epic Mod, spanning the Nineteenth and Twentieth centuries. I call it "Goldflash's Working Title Mod". Catchy, I know.

Now, I want to get into the juicy bits like unit lines, civilizations, wonders, and all that; but I've come to realize that I need to get the Tech Tree more or less done before I move into all of that. I could perhaps put together a passable four-era tree, but I'd rather have the help of my fellow Civfanatics. Now I'm not asking ya'all to build me one- I want to work with you as a team.

Now I plan on drinking beer all night and going to the bad parts of the Internet and maybe playing some team fortress, but you'll probably want some information first:

The mod will be split into 4 eras. Each era covers roughly 50 years.
The first Era will start with eight techs, one for each trait.
Railroads will become available in the beginning of Era 2. This a balance move.
The way the unit lines are going in my head World War One keeps getting squished out.

I was, at one point, going to mush the whole 19th century into Era 1 and split the 20th into thirds, but that didn't seem fair to me.

Anyway, I'll pop by in the morning to see how far this thread has sunk down on the frist page :D

Goldflash trying to do something? Shocking, I know.

So those first eight techs are supposed to contain all of man's collected knowledge up to 1800. As I said before, there will be one for each trait:

• Military Tradition Militaristic
  • Maritime Tradition Seafaring
  • Constitutionalism Political (Spiritual)
  • Imperialism Expansionist
  • Mercantilism Commercial
  • Machinery Industrious
  • The Scientific Method Scientific
  • Agriculturalism Agricultural

Eh. Not happy with the name I came up for the Agricultural tech, but it is meant to encompass this stuff. Could one of our resident wordologists kindly come up with a more apt name?

Anyway, I may bang out an era 1 tech tree tonight or tomorrow, but I don't think I'm familair enough with the period of 1800-1850 enough to make a good one.

Thanks again!

Not happy with the name I came up for the Agricultural tech, but it is meant to encompass this stuff. Could one of our resident wordologists kindly come up with a more apt name?
Thanks again!

First post (other than the originator):D!! (How many times did we used to get that?)

How about, er...Agricultural Revolution? You could also use "seed drill" or "threshing".

Additionally, you could use "cottage industry" for your commercial tech as it's less general and probably more fitting with the times - though probably very British.

Make sure the units that you want to use exist. There's actually not too many 1820-1900 compared to other eras.

If you are looking for units from that era, I believe BeBro did some, which might have been forgotten about as they were done years ago - but he was an excellent unit maker. A list of his units are in the unit maker list thing that's a sticky thread in the units forum.

Aluminium did some nice resizes of Bebros units, I think you can find them somewhere. They might do until Imperator makes some new late 19th century units (look for his Italian Riflemen, they're outstanding).

Fifty-Five People Looked but No One Posted.

I was actually person #3 or 4 to view the thread, and almost posted, but then I saw:

Anyway, I'll pop by in the morning to see how far this thread has sunk down on the frist page :D

And figured I didn't wanna ruin it! :p

I like Agriculturalism, even if it isn't a word. It should be, since Agriculturalist is a word.

You could use Soil Cultivating or Soil Cultivation.

Imperator's Italians were part of the reason I decided to go ahead with this. Another reason was Wyrm's Excellent BTR-80A.

I think I'll leave it as Agriculturalism because tom told me to. I'm currently working on the tech tree, I may post a rough copy later tonight or over the weekend.

Just to tease ya'all here's a teaser to tease you:

Civilizations

1. The United States of America
  2. The Confederate States of America
  3. The Sioux
  4. Canada
  5. Australia
  6. Gran Columbia
  7. Argentina
  8. Mexico
  9. Cuba
  10. Great Britain
  11. Russia/Soviet Union
  12. France
  13. Germany
  14. Italy
  15. Austria
  16. Poland
  17. Sweden
  18. Spain
  19. Japan
  20. China
  21. (South) Korea
  22. (North) Vietnam
  23. India
  24. Pakistan
  25. Iraq
  26. Iran
  27. Egypt
  28. Turkey
  29. Israel
  30. South Africa
  31. The Ashanti

Some civs are definitely in FOREVER and you can't make em remove them (America, Britain, France..) other countries are more tentative (The Sioux, Mexico, Pakistan...) and could be replaced with a really good suggestion. As you can also see, the list is more or less divided into 4 culture groups: American, European, Asian, Middle Eastern/African. I have the fifth culture group to play around in and I don't know what to do with it. Should I split the American Culture group into North (USA, CSA, Canada, Sioux, Australia) and Latin (Gran Columbia, Argentina, Mexico, Cuba) American cultures? Or perhaps break India and Pakistan off from the Asians? Maybe Give South Africa and the Ashanti their own group? The American split covers more civs than the other two...

Anyway, you input is always welcome, guys.

And if anyone grumps at me for putting Australia with the American culture group they can can it. They fit in there just as well as they fit in with the Europeans.

No. This mod will be Ork and Dorf free. It will have Tanks, though. Lots of tanks.

I'm kind of suprised no one commented on my civ list. Musta all been looking at Rob's leaderheads.

Yeah, the Swedes are in because they have a lot of cool stuff, especially that super goofy Strv 103 S. I normally don't want to make vehicles UUs in this mod but the Strv 103 S is so unique that It could actually work as Sweden's UU, unless someone else has a better idea.

Yeah, the Swedes are in because they have a lot of cool stuff, especially that super goofy Strv 103 S. I normally don't want to make vehicles UUs in this mod but the Strv 103 S is so unique that It could actually work as Sweden's UU, unless someone else has a better idea.
From a Swedish perspective the Carolean soldier is iconic as a symbol of the apex of the Swedish empire:

But Stridsvagn 103 is certainly a more interesting and less stereotypical choice, representing the modern, industrialized Sweden :goodjob:

Again, from a Swedish perspective the postwar history has other icons of Swedish ingenuity and military, the first and foremost being SAAB 29 Tunnan:

During its time in service the Swedish Air Force was for a while the fourth most powerful in the world.

End of Swedish propaganda. Time to crack some brews :beer:

Thanks for the suggestions, Wolfhart. The Caroleans don't fit in the scope of the mod, but the Tunnan defiently does. It will be in the game as a flavor unit.

LMR, your painting skills far exceed mine and thusly you will be ignored :D

And yeah, the AZNAC will probably be the Australian's UU, though I would prefer Saxton Hale.

Top Bottom