GoobNES02: The Cold Civil War

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Goober, May 2, 2006.

1. ~Darkening~

~Darkening~ Weep, Mother.

Yes the Riyadh agrrement still stands. But we would like to point out that communists are still ungodly and thus have no place in Saudi Arabia.

2. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

No such treaty was ever made! Explain Goober!

3. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

He added Philippines to the list randomly, I think.

4. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Aww for the love of god....let it go.

5. #1 Person

#1 Person The Cow

Are you talking to me?

Cause that was the first time I brought it up... :confused:

6. tommy_toon

tommy_toon Emperor

Goob, I didn't want to waste this on a pm, can you postpone that one thing in my orders, as in don't do it. Don't know what I was thinking. If your not sure what I'm talking about, ask me please.

7. candaboy

candaboy Chieftain

To the World
    From Israel

The Mapai Party has chosen Gold Meir to be the next Prime Minister of Israel.

Golda Meir Was born in Kiev, Ukraine on May 3rd, 1898. In 1906 she moved with her family to Milwaekee, Wisconsin, USA. She attended high school and university in Milwaekee. She was active in youth politics, Zionism and graduated high school at the top of her class. After finishing University she taught a\in the public school
    system.

In 1921 she moved to Palestine with her husband, they joined a Kibbutz. They left the Kubbutz in 1924 to move to Tel Aviv, they resettled in Jerusalem a short time later. There they had two children, son Menachem and daughter Sarah.

In 1928, Golda was elected secretary of the Women's Labor Council of Histadrut. This required her to move to Tel Aviv, but her husband stayed in Jerusalem while the children stayed with her. Morris and Golda grew apart but never divorced. Morris died in 1951.

She grew increasingly influential in Histadrut, which evolved into a shadow government for the yet to be born nation of Israel. The British cracked down on the Zionist movement in Palestine. They arrested many of its leaders. Golda, however, was never arrested. She gradually took charge of the organization. She negotiated with the British, but also kept in contact with the growing guerrilla movement.

Golda Meir was one of twenty-four people (and one of two women) who signed the Declaration of the Establishment of the State of Israel. She later recalled, "After I signed, I cried. When I studied American history as a schoolgirl and I read about those who signed the Declaration of Independence, I couldn't imagine these were real people doing something real. And there I was sitting down and signing a declaration of independence."

She was assigned to be the first ambassador to the Soviet Union. She served there briefly.

From 1953 to 1956, Meir was the Israeli Minister of Labor. In 1956, she became Foreign Minister under Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion. Ben-Gurion asked Golda to change her name to a Hebrew name. She chose Meir, meaning "makes a light".

In the early 1960s she was diagnosed with lymphoma, which she kept hidden because she thought others might deem her unfit for service. She resigned from the Cabinet in 1965, citing illness and exhaustion of her years of service. At first, she returned to her modest life, but she was soon called back into service. She served as Secretary General of the Labor Party for eight months and retired again on August 1, 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golda_Meir

8. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

Just a note, I am still around. Real life's been doing the intensely busy thing again, or, rather, me and my BF have just been spending more time together. I have started the Update, and will be working on it through the next couple days. Yes, the Update Deadline has passed, it "was" Friday, end of day whatever time zone.

I really hope that my real life will calm down a bit so I can devote more time to this NES ...

9. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

so... can you give me a hint about the csa... my rebelion!!!
    PLEAAASE

10. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

we had no dobts goober. and you are one of the few we won't preasure. for you are one of the greats, who preffer Quality Over Qunaity.

now, if you vanished for a month or two compleatly from the forum, we might assume you were dead. and would moren. but other then that, your good!

11. Kentharu

Kentharu Zebra Commander

no your wrong terrish goober's updates suck ok don't lie to him they are horrible :p (i kid btw)

12. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

*hits head on table numerous times* CURSES, CURSES, CURSES :cry:

Well goober, I hope you know what to do... :(

13. candaboy

candaboy Chieftain

Eliana Aaron was washing the dishes when the door bell rang. She put down her cloth and wiped her brow. She normally had no problem answering the door, but right now it was the last thing she wanted to do. It was not because she was busy, but because anytime now the news could come that the dirty Arabs were attacking her country.

She was worried for her husband, who was normally the coronal in charge of basic training for the Israeli army, but he had been called up three days ago to take command of a reserve brigade that had had its General killed in an accident. He said the job was only temporary and that he would be back at his training job as soon as they found someone else to fill the spot. She was glad that he had this opportunity because if he did a good job he would probably be promoted to general when the time came. However, she had not wanted him to go. Their life had been good since he took the training job. He worked regular hours, was usually home for supper and he had only spent six nights away from her since he took the job. When he first took the training job he was a little resentful of being placed 'out of the way' but with time he saw the real difference that he could make in shaping the Israeli army.

Her oldest son, Ben-Ami, was in her husbands first class. This had made it very special for him but he was so much worried about their son. When he told them that he had been accepted for tanker duty and officer candidate school her husbands first reaction had been to smile with enormous pride but only for a second, then his face returned to worry. She knew why. He WAS proud but could not help worrying about their oldest son. Their oldest son was with his tank unit in the south, ready to face off against Israel's number one enemy, Eygpt.

Her other son, Natan, was only just seventeen but he was in JROTC in his high school. His class had gone to her husbands training camp for a week three months ago, they had driven and shot tanks, marched and done obstacle courses. When he came home he glowed with excitement, it was clear that he had loved it. He had come home yesterday with a note from his drill instructor stating that in the event of a war he should report to the school barracks where they would form a home defense company. She signed the letter like she was supposed to, then locked herself in her bedroom and cried until it was time to make supper.

At supper, Natan told her not to worry because he would not see any action if there was a war, but rather he would help to control traffic and help keep the streets clear of rubble from bomb damage if they where bombed. This did not comfort or reassure her.

She answered the door with worry on her face but it was only her friends who wanted to borrow some chairs for a dinner that they where having tonight. She sighed with relief but in the back of her mind she thought next time it could be something very different.

14. Stormbringer

Stormbringer The Brick and The Rose

Prologue

The black boots of the officers hit the bricks of the Red Square in a perfect rhythm with a muffled sound. They all appeared to be mirror images of a single person, as if they were all one giant being that encompassed everything in Red Square. The soldiers, the tanks, the missiles that went by the Kremlin in celebration of the victory over Fascism. They were all one. They were the Red Army.

A Report Due Yesterday

Arvid Pelshe, the Politburo member who was responsible for military affairs sat back in his chair. Generally the military position of the Politburo was given to new members as it required very little from the person occupying it. The military was a very high priority of the Party and so the General Secretary as well as other Senior Party Members intervened into the military affairs very often. On top of that the Minister of Defense was directly responsible for the everyday functions of the military. That left Arvid Pelshe to write reports and prepare briefs for the Senior Members.

Pelshe was leaning back in his chair and listening to music when Mikhail Suslov walked into his office without knocking. Pelshe jumped up, startled, and quickly turned the music off. Suslov sat down and waved Pelshe to take a seat. Pelshe sat down nervously.

Mikhail Suslov was one of the most powerful men in the country, if not the most powerful. He had been a close ally of Josef Stalin and the architect of the coup against Khrushchev. While he was a member of the Politburo he occupied no official position in the Government, but still wielded incredibly influence over General Secretary Shelepin to whom he was a mentor figure, and over his old friend Anastas Mikoyan who currently occupied the top Government position. Suslov rarely spoke to Pelshe and never visited him before in his office.

After examining the room critically Suslov inquires, “Are you comfortable here Comrade Pelshe? Is the room to your liking?” Pelshe swallowed hard and forced himself to answer, “Yes, yes, it is all good.” Suslov looked at him, nodded, and begun. “Mr. Pelshe, I have a very important request to make of you,” Pelshe did his best to keep his hands from shaking, “I need you to look over these documents and prepare a report for me.” With this Suslov slid a file with “TOP SECRET” written at its top, over the table. “You see Arvid, the Red Army is going to conduct a major military operation very soon and we are finishing up the details on it. Go ahead and read the files, talk to Comrade Grechko, and with his help prepare for me a complete report for the strategy prior, during, and after the operation.”

Suslov got up and begun to walk out the door. Pelshe opened the file and looked at the first page, his eyebrows going up in surprise and horror. “Comrade Suslov…” Pelshe was about to ask him if this operation was really going to happen, but at the last second realized that questioning Suslov would not be smart. “…when do you want this done by?” Suslov smiled and replied, “yesterday.”

A Game of Chess

As soon as Suslov left Pelshe got up and ran to the adjacent building where the Ministry of Defense was housed. He found Andrey Grechko, the minister, consumed by a game of Chess with one of the Marshals in his office. Grechko was a respected WWII General who had backed Shelepin during his coup with Khrushchev and earned himself the position of Minister of Defense, replacing the mostly incompetent Rodion Malinovsky. Since his arrival at the Ministry Grechko has transformed the dormant Ministry that usually did very little into a vibrant institution that worked hard to maintain the highest standards possible in the military, and a major modernization of the Red Army was underway.

Grechko looked up at Pelshe and invited him to join them in the game. When Pelshe tried to protest and insist that Grechko talk to him immediately Grechko looked at him and declared, “If we were in Berlin in ’45 you would not use that tone with me. Now, sit down.” Pelshe sat down and watched the end of the chess game even thought it was already clear that Grechko was going to win. After the chess game the Marshal left and Pelshe begun to explain to Grechko what was happening.

To Pelshe’s surprise Grechko was enthusiastic about the prospect. “By God, this will give my boys a real test. We will remind the World what the Red Army can do!” When Pelshe shared his concerns of the upcoming operation with Grechko the old General brushed them aside, went to his cabinet, and took out a number of maps. He laid them out on the table and begun to talk out loud and draw arrows and boxes on the maps. When Pelshe tried to intervene with suggestions Grechko dismissed all of them outright and after a while Pelshe settled down to taking notes for his report to Suslov. By the end of the day Grechko announced that he had a plan.

As Pelshe left to make his report to Suslov Grechko was making phone calls. The massive beast that was the Red Army begun to move.

First Step

The KGB agent made his way through the crowd at the mansion. He nodded his head to the numerous statesmen and military officials that were there. As he moved to the far side of the massive room he glanced at his watch. Still almost half an hour left.

He picked up a drink and kept moving towards his target. As he approached the tall man that was destined to die today he slipped a small tablet into the drink and then placed it on a counter with other drinks, closest to his target. He then begun an amiable conversation with the tall man, trying hard to get his to talk and ware his throat down to make his thirsty. He seemed to succeed as the tall man reached for the drink, but right before him an officer reached to grab the poisoned drink. The agent clenched his fists and stepped towards the office, bumping into him and spilling the drink. He apologized profusely and went off walking with the officer, still apologizing.

As he sent the officer off the agent looked back at his watch. Less than ten minutes now. He came up to his target again and offered his apology for the interruption of the conversation. The agent offered his target a cigar and both of them retreated to the balcony to smoke. The agent led his target to a remote area of the balcony where they were at least thirty, maybe thirty five, yards away from all the other people. As they talked the assassin glanced down at his watch. Two minutes.

The conversation stopped and the tall man asked if everything was ok. The agent looked at him and pulled the trigger. The target fell to the floor and a woman let out a yell. The assassin jumped over the balcony to the car that was waiting for him. The car took off as the commotion in the mansion grew louder and louder.

Last Step

Grechko was sitting in his office, looking at his watch. He tried playing chess, but was much too nervous to concentrate. He tried not to show it to anyone, but to himself he admitted that he was getting old for this job. The call was two minutes late and Grechko wondered if the mission had failed somehow.

He got up and paced across his office, then looked out to the lights of Moscow outside his window. He remembered for a second what the Red Square looked like back in ’45 when he came back from Berlin. He smiled, thinking of his old friends and his sweetheart that was waiting for him when we came back. He shook his head and turned around back to his desk. The phone rang.

On the other end was Yuri Andropov, the Chairman of the KGB. He said calmly, “we are all done Andrey.” Grechko quickly thanked him and hung up. He then picked up his phone and did his part.

And the bombs begun to fall.

15. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

Well, lets hope its some obscure third-world nation ;)

16. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

Yes, the above story should be taken as foreshadowing ... Update is in progress ...

17. candaboy

candaboy Chieftain

OOC
    PLEASE. PLEASE dont let it be me! I'm young, I have to much to live for!

18. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

I bet it's me. If that's the case...AVENGE ME GHOST RIDER AVENGE ME!

Oh okay....my army is crappy. I'm safe! hooray! *pours some more vodka*

19. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

OOC: If it's anybody of importance, the NES ends. The "balance of terror" is insufficient to allow for a coventional war between the Comintern, ITO, or CAN blocs without nuclear arms. That's where MAD comes in. So it's either someone fairly inconsequential, or the game is over.

My personal bet is Afghanistan and Iran to reach the Indian Ocean, but that could just be me. Then again, it was a major Soviet aim, and why they hit Afghanistan in the first place... Or perhaps Finland.

20. JosefStalinator

JosefStalinator Я буду снова здесь

OOC: I wouldn't worry about it, Storm is not going to disrupt the balance of power or threaten nuclear war.