Good civ to start with to be Americans?

srd2k7

Chieftain
Hey all, I've been playing RFC for a lil while now but haven't gotten to play the Americans yet. What is a good civ to start the game with to leave off of to be the Americans? I'm afraid whoever I play with first may get too powerful under my own rule that I won't be able to get ahead as the Americans. So I'm guessing 600 AD start would be the better one? I've tried using the save from the wiki but I can never seem to uncompress the game data when I load it for some reason. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3000BC or 600AD is really a matter of time, it won't impact that much an American game
My best choice would definitely be England, as you will lose most of your best colonies to the US

You can also download the unlocked starts (assuming you haven't already). Then you can play them without switching first. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Maya, and play peaceful and defensive.

Or maybe the Aztecs, and settle all the great cities some time before the Americans spawn so they'll flip to you. Just know this: if you don't choose the Americans via the unlocked start other civs can build the SoL before the Americans spawn.

What do I need for unlocked starts? Is it a mod for RFC? Or some game code changing?

They used to be seperate files, but in 1.184, I think they were put in the mod folder right away. The unlocked start means that all civs that have loading times longer than 15 minutes can't be selected in the "choose civ" menu. So, you can't play France in the 3000 BC start, but in the "unlocked" version, you can.

Ok thanks. I actually JUST found out I had the latest version of RFC and just never installed it. Found the unlocked starts there. Thanks again.

depends:

good = powerful starting situations for the Americans or
good = mostly unchanged/neutral situation ("historical") or
good = having a fun play without interfering with the American Power possibility too much.

For Situation 2 I would say Mali or Inca or Khmer or Japan or Ethiopia or Russia or Scandinavia ;-)

Hey all, I've been playing RFC for a lil while now but haven't gotten to play the Americans yet. What is a good civ to start the game with to leave off of to be the Americans?

This is called "Feeding the young" and can be done almost anywhere in RFC. the idea is to have a country "pre-build" their cities and collapse. the secret is keeping the tech rate on the LOW as possible so the other spawning AI's have minimum advantage.

Greece is ancient enough that you just need to keep MINIMUM tech rate to keep up with the ai, and yes you can survive to the america spawn. just keep your 4 cities, let rome flip from culture and don't build any cities faster than needed. also, you can stagger cottage building so the eco bonus of cottages upgrading helps stagger instability rate to keep you alive. You can crush France (razing cities) and let germany/spain overexpand. then your only rival as america is england, which is just fine. in about the 1400's, Greece should boat some settlers and defenders and land them on america east coast. wait until about 1760 and build all the cities with greece you want america to have.

When greece collapses its ok - hold athens until 1770 and delete all your troops so that greece collapses after you take over america.

I'm afraid whoever I play with first may get too powerful under my own rule that I won't be able to get ahead as the Americans. So I'm guessing 600 AD start would be the better one?

The 600 AD start is bad for many reasons. mostly, its that the AI has almost nothing to worry about. they have less turns of playing and start out slightly ahead in tech so by the time it hits 1770's a large clump of peaceful AI's has amassed large empires that are really far ahead of you in technology and most of your wonders will be build within 3 turns of your spawn.

so my advice?

3000 BC
Create a 3000 BC start, set to play as america. take a shower or something. When you have about 100 turns left, SAVE the game while the AI is still playing, then do it again at 50 turns and again at 20 turns, and again for "save turn 1". if you like the state of the world, you can keep your "save 1" to play ALL your america games without waiting. you can also re-load your 100 turns ago if you want a slight variation of it.

600 AD - England
If you insist playing someone until they spawn and MUST have the 600 AD start, you need to settle lousiana and washington IMMEDIATELY. lousiana should have 2 redcoats to defend, and about 5 turns before america spawns, move your ENTIRE ARMY to washington so it flips to you. you can also build new york if you really want to. then the turn BEFORE it spawns, have england declare war on the whole world.

America will spawn really far behind in techs, use 50% of your troops to sweep lousiana, and britan should war you on flip which gives you a diplo bonus with the rest of europe. despite the tech disadvantage, having the entire british army and good diplo with everyone SHOULD help you survive.

600 AD - Europe at war!

lastly, you can play someone like germany and keep europe in a perpetual state of warfare so that the AI is building troops instead of buildings and wonders, and when america spawns you MIGHT not be too far behind in tech, just make sure to grant independence to every german city but berlin so that germany doesn't spam your wonders as soon as you spawn.

for 600AD play as Germans kill everyone and over expand so you collapse shortly America spawns this gives you

1) Europe in shambles
2) little wonder competition
3) extremely ahead of everyone else
4) A chance to win if playing Emperor

ah and yes - don't forget to re-install RFC to its updated version! delete your current folder and make way for the new one the "unlocked" is included with it.

But please ignore the person who said
"3000BC or 600AD is really a matter of time, it won't impact that much an American game My best choice would definitely be England, as you will lose most of your best colonies to the US "

so not true! the earlier start causes the AI to deal with collapsing civs, plagues, wars and other things that prevent them from all becoming tech-up buddies the whole game. the real difference is in the BC start you will see a word on par with your own tech level - most of the time you have time to build your wonders and stabilize. Unit-wise you shouldn't be much behind and techwise you will be either a little behind or a little ahead.

in the AD start you will see yourself against british infantry, german/russia/japan building your wonders, france with lousiana massive army, and aztec vassals with spanish, english, and germain allies. there is also usually no wars started so germany/russia/japan will enjoy your wonders.

oh and your tech rate will usually be a full era behind or more.

I've noticed inflation carries over when you switch civilizations, so its actually a handicap to switch over.

I've noticed inflation carries over when you switch civilizations, so its actually a handicap to switch over.

nah it just goes up by the turn, so when you switch, you still have it, BTW what is the easiest way to turn inflation off?

Top Bottom