Good God

Didn´t know that cities with many troops are more likely to flip. Have it under control though,they usually don´t flip,my usual method,capture the rest of his cities.This is ofcourse in an offensive war,were oneself is usually superior.
If I do get stuck I tend to build the temple,after quelling all resistance.Easy if you have religous attribute or loads of money. Put simple or older units in the cities to make the max of peeps happy.If the city really is threatened by flipping take as many citizens out as possible and make them entertainers.Starve them if necessary.A happy city will not flip (WLTKD).Like Doctor´s idea too.

My current civ is ideal for this task,Aztecs->religous,building temple is cheap,and I garrison the city with Jaguar Warriors, these guys get to the city very fast (2movements) and cost just 10 shields,so even if the city does flip,I haven´t lost much. :)

On the general issue,I´d like to keep my units which were in the city,can´t always play Aztecs afterall (and can´t build the Jaguar Warrior after Feudalism). Maybe they should be kicked out with -1 hp,so they can´t just retake the city.Partisans are fine too,better than this,but they never really stood a chance and just got wiped out in one turn.

Originally posted by Cerryl
Holy cheese and crackers, someone understands that there *IS* really a way to conquer enemy nations, and not resort to whining to Firaxis in an attempt to make the game less challenging and easier for those who cannot figure it out.

We better get them banned from the board. I would hate to have too many people making intelligent suggestions on how to play the game instead of spending their time by constructively whinning about how they hate how the game was made and demanding that Firaxis fix "it" so it's easier to win. :D

[edited for spelling misteak]

It's not so much, what's *IN* the cities you conquer as to what's around them. When you take a city, it's best to take 2-3 others In the same turn, even raze one of the neighboring ones to reduce surrounding culture. I like my conquered cities to have the small isolated box around it, not getting any influence from the opposing civ.

At first I thought "what a silly idea".

But now, having thought about it, culture reversion happens far more frequently than you would think. A good example is Afghanistan, where despite the best intentions of Soviet troops, they just couldn't cope with an entirely different culture (should have learnt the lessons the British did many years ago!).

I am not so sure about flipping a culture from scratch though - I can't think of any good examples of countries signing up to be a part of a bigger nation voluntarily. Perhaps the European Union in years to come may be viewed like this, but that is more like an amalgamation of states (like the USA), rather than one nation 'acquiring' another. The trend is more towards nations splitting up, rather than combining together. However, there is an example in the UK where culture is a bit wierd. Berwick-upon-Tweed is actually in England, but their football team plays in the Scottish League, and the residents seem more Scottish than English. I suspect that in years gone by, this town was actually part of Scotland (but I'm not an historical expert, so stand to be corrected).

Having said all this, I have only ever seen one city flip in one of my games, and that was one of my cities flipping back to me after it had been taken.

So for all those people complaining about culture flipping, I must confess I suspect they are exagerating the problem.

One excellent and simple way is to wait for a civ that neighbors you to get in war trouble, preferrably with a civ that a) you have warred with before and b) has a relatively simple gov't (that is, if you're a democracy, he has anything else.)

As the weaker civ perishes, you try to provoke war with the winner. As you're in a more advanced govt you should be able to get a tech lead. If you can't provoke the war, sign an MPP with the loser. Watch as they are crushed, very important that they get demolished to a tiny rump state.

You then attack the loser's old property.

OK. How I did it was I was Aztecs, the weakling was the Iroquois, and the bully was Germany. Germany, while nearly destroying the Iroquois, declares war on me. I was prepared, the Germans were extended and also had been at war with me once before. That made them an ancestral enemy, giving more time before war weariness began.

Because I took former Iroquios land, cities not only didn't flip but had fewer resistors. It helped that the Iroquois are the same type of people as the Aztecs. (Note that there is one more civ with the European type than the others, so maybe it's smart to play one of the Europeans.) The Iroquois didn't mind that I took their civ, because I took it from the Germans, and who cares about the Germans cos they're jerks (in the game). I doubled my civ size just with the Iroquois land, and then for good measure I took all the German land too leaving me with the Iroquois rump state to back me up on a possible UN vote.

I don't see a way I could've planned it better.

Nice ;)

Don´t quite get it with being the same culture though,am also playing the Aztecs,yet on my map the only peeps who don´t like me (apart from the Russians who I´ve attacked) are the Iroquois!
Why is this?How beneficial is same culture?

Should I have read the manual? :confused: :crazyeyes :confused:

I use my workers, or build a settler, to add to a captured city's population. This greatly decreases the likelihood of a culture-flip. The captured city must have the infrastructure to support the increase if its at pop 6 or 12.

If I have to engage in a war of conquest, I usually switch to communism. When I take an enemy city that I suspect may 'flip', I use the foreign population to rush cultural improvements until there is only 1 pop left. Then, any new population will be of your nationality. Also, the cultural borders expand, reducing the number of workable city squares that are within the other civs cultural boundary. Of course, you do have to quell resistors first, but with a large garrison, this only takes a few turns. Raizing surounding, high-culture cities will greatly reduce the chance of the city flipping before you can quell resistors.

Top Bottom