Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not great.

• Trash.

• Total voters

DWilson

Where am I? What turn is it?
I was thinking about how in VI more than V replacing a city state with a civ has the (relatively minor?) negative impact of making the City State suzerain coding useless, when I had what seems, to me at least, like a cool idea:

In every game, civilizations that are not selected as full civs have the possibility that one of their most significant cities becomes a city state instead. This allows the existence of such major cities as London, Paris, Tokyo, New York City, etc. to exist in any game, even without their full respective empire. Presumably, the English, French, Japanese, Americans, etc. peoples simply decided against expanding (or failed.to do so). These would not prevent the existence of other city states, but simply provide more variety to them. As far as suzerain coding, simply use part of the full civ design (nerfed as necessary), particularly UIs.

One last, and unnecessary, additional possibility is a mechanism for the city state to become a full civ if it gains access to an additional city. This can be through conquest or a gift from the suzerain. It would spawn with low-mid demographics (techs, civics, buildings), and with a boost in its city state type. It would (probably) start with an alliance, open borders, and defensive pact (?) with its former suzerain.

So, what do you all think? Is it an interesting idea, or pretty crap? Would you like to see something like it in game?

Edit: Ahh, I meant more for a discussion thread than a suggestion thread, but okay.

Last edited:
It might make sense to do this for civs that are currently city-states but will be added as full civs (Netherlands, Korea, Portugal, Maya, etc.), but I'd rather see new city-states based on groups that won't become civs like Cahokia, Saba, or the Minoans.

I love the idea. I think its amazing, however, I regrettably would say that it's simply too much work for the devs and that there are already so many great opportunities for good City-states that will not be made into full Civs. Still a great idea though, and this would allow Carthage to become a full-blown Civ, which I would be fully supportive of.

Top Bottom