1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Good news - zones of control are back!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Kamamura, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Kamamura

Kamamura Warlord

That's one thing I missed the most from Civ4 (well, except salt, maybe).

Lack of ZOC makes military control of an area nigh impossible, as fast units may sneak through the lines.

2. Olleus

Olleus Deity

The reason it was taken out is that the AI couldn't cope with it. Lets hope they've fixed that.

3. TM Moot

TM Moot King

Totally agree, the lack of ZOC made defensive lines/placement next to pointless in cIV.

Good to see it back...

4. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

not much "news", but still good ;)

5. CreepyD

CreepyD Chieftain

Still not quite what it was in civ1.. Which if I recall didn't let you move AT ALL to a square adjacent to the enemy if you were already next to them.
    1 hex movement seems best.

6. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

Also, there were no borders and all land units (even Settlers) except for diplomats had ZoC. Sometimes, you'd be forced to declare war on an opponent just because his Settler stopped you from attacking some invading barbarians... :mischief:

7. Stuie

Stuie Laudir Agus Mir

I'm ok with it as is - and it's definitely better than it has been in a Civ game, but opportunity fire would be nice. :)

8. Son44

Son44 Chieftain

I haven't played civ 1 - 3, so im wondering: How does zone of control work?

9. Kamamura

Kamamura Warlord

Zones of control usually represent the ability of military units to control their immediate area. Enemies that would want to pass by them (i.e. travel from one adjacent square/hex to another) are penalized in some way - either are attacked by the unit exerting ZOC, or have movement slowed down (in CIV 5, the manual states that movement in enemy ZOC will cost 2 MP).

10. Son44

Son44 Chieftain

ok, so this means that delaying actions and in depth defence will work?

11. jeffreyac

jeffreyac Mostly Harmless

I actually like the change - using up all movement when going from one ZOC hex to another; I think it's both realistic (in that moves laterally along the front lines would be possible, but difficult) and good for gameplay (especialy with the 1upt, you'll want some ability to strategically maneuver on the front lines...)

Of course, we'll have to play it to see how the implementation feels, but on the surface it feels like a good change.

12. zomg

zomg Chieftain

Yay! Think I heard this before but again love it. :)

13. Tarkhan

Tarkhan King

ZOC used to infuriate me in Civ2, haha.

I've wiped out civs based solely on the fact that their stupid settler was building something in my way to explore/reveal more tiles.

14. jeffreyac

jeffreyac Mostly Harmless

Sounds about right. At least this is a better reason than my "I'm pretty sure Ghandi looked at me funny!" war....

15. homan1983

homan1983 King

Where does it state it costs 2MP? As far as I could see it stated that moving from a ZOC to another ZOC would completely end its turn.

16. Tarkhan

Tarkhan King

It's probably good that civvers arent real world diplomats.

"can you pass me the milk?"
    "No."

"...WAR!"

17. Abremms

Abremms Prince

absolutely. i am rabidly anticipating contriving elaborate campaigns for both offense and defense.

i just hope the AI is a worthy tactical opponent.

18. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

This and the salt topic make me a memeber in your "party". I also think tactics and strategic resources should be a significant part of this game series.

19. Tarkhan

Tarkhan King

Well ZOC also introduces the "fighting retreat" to kill time while your reinforcements move forward. Then you pull back and make them chase you, stretch out their supply lines, and BAM! suddenly cavalry from the sides cut them off.

20. Tylerryan79

Tylerryan79 Emperor

I havent seen where it says this, but Im glad if its true. I have been wondering how cavalry would be able to attack and retreat, if zoc just stopped them everytime. They would be slaughtered in the next turn. If it takes 2 points away they still have a chance to attack and retreat, or atleast destroy the unit they are attacking.