1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Start

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by tox_von, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tox_von

tox_von Chieftain

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4v3mdudow8zel8s

With a start like this what type of score can be gotten.

If anybody plays it i'd like to look at the saves 50,100,200 turns in and see what i need to do to get big scores.

Also do roads need to be built on every square some maps ive seen have hardly any.

2. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

Big scores are a waste of time... Getting a higher score doesn't make you a better player. Also please upload your saves via CFC instead of an external source.

3. cseanny

cseanny Chieftain

It's not a great start for a high score, not at all. You would want 2+ gold and a plains hill, and lots of forest. On a side note.....I'm not thrilled about pursuing an early religion but if you want to then at least build a worker first. Building a warrior first is horrible in these circumstances.

4. tox_von

tox_von Chieftain

im trying to figure out how to play to win quick im at about 1300AD ive got the best score but im not winning. What do i need to do to win quickly? I thought with all the food and mountains it would be a good map. What makes a good start? I beat rome back but didnt beat them then the next war they became a vassel of someone else. What should i do to stop this? How do upload saves from CFC?

5. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

A good start is high food, and high commerce. You can't win quickly with out a way to get a lot of beakers.

Attached Files:

6. tox_von

tox_von Chieftain

I thought it was a good start im up to turn 294 with only 3 enemys and 3 vassels. I got the latest patch which complete wasn't which if a civ joins another from you waring with it your not at war with both this makes things way better. I asked for this on the forums and didnt realise it was there.

The main city is producing one unit per turn. It was a really good producing city which was why i thought it was a good start.

7. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

1. Good Start = 1 riverside Gold to settle on with some more riverside gold / gems to work. Lots of Food, no Calendar Ressources (your start had Bananas and Sugar, which are weak tiles) .

2. To stop others from vassalizing while you're in war with them, beg money from everyone so you have a peace-treaty, then they cannot join the war and so cannot accept the vassal. Do this once they are willing to capitulate, and finish the war quickly after that.

3. To win high, you want to finish the game by vassalizing all remaining opponents at once, and by that get over the domination limit of 51% land.

P. S.: Don't listen to ZZZ, he's a troll :p

8. tox_von

tox_von Chieftain

im getting better my next game after this i got 34781 and finished in 1928 about 350 turns which was twice as good as my last. Using the tips i get a should keep getting better.

9. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

That is seriously late if you are trying for a high score. For a high score you need to finish around 1500 AD.

10. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

Just remember:

It's Population that makes the main part of the score, not Wonders, not anything.

Play B&S, tiny islands, mixed in, AND, play Marathon. Map Size probably best is normal, but larger might be better, noone knows yet.

11. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

Finish date also plays a large part. Even if you have a massively tall empire, if you finish really late your score is going to be piss poor. For map size I think huge is the best due to the Dom cap being a lot higher so you can grow more.

12. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

Forgot that about the finish Date, that's of course right.

But a Huge map might not be the best for highest Score, ask Wastin if you want to know about that, he played a lot more Civ than I till this moment, and I'm probably never catch up, unless he stops playing ;)

His argument is one you should be able to comprehend very easily: Smaller Map = faster finish Date -> higher score.

I would add to that, that smaller map -> lower research costs -> faster Sushi -> more time to grow.

And, I would add: Smaller map -> easier because you can rush relatively more Civs with Checkers.

Will experiment on that more, as I'm atm stuck in a Huge game at 2.1M Score, that's over 1M or 50% (!!!) still missing to his best, time is about the same he finished his 3.2M game (800 AD) so it cannot be the finish-date multiplier, must be something else.

And, not of any relavance, or maybe still: A Huge game with 100+ cities is horrible to play, maintenance costs are over 15k (Cities / Civic / Inflation), so one has to micro all cities because otherwise, one would simply go broke, because the advisor is no good. It also takes building all cottages, which takes a lot of the possible growth away.

I once heard / read, that Sushi gives 0.5 :food: / ressource on some maps, guess, the best map-size would be that one, before the jump to only 0.25 :food: is made. 160 Ressources and +40 :food: on Huge sound a lot, but I guess, that's not the optimum that can be reached.

Advanced Tactics for our newcomer here: Found more cities that have mostly water as tiles, water doesn't count towards domination land limit, so a city on a small Island, is the best you can get. Also, found as many junk cities as possible once you have Sushi, make your "city grid" as dense as possible, and try to conquer / annihilate more than taking Vassals, Vassals only cost score because their pop doesn't count towards your score. You have to get A LOT faster though, 1900 finish dates are aweful tbh.

13. tox_von

tox_von Chieftain

Is there any other way to get big scores other than going for capitulation wars. This seems to be the way everyone gets them. My next game ii won at 312 and got 54753 Still getting better. What is the best at normal maps i should get my last question on scores i asked what could be gotton on a map and the score was 150,000 only three times my score.

14. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

High Scores for Marathon without the use of Sushi through shere early Domination is between 600k and 1M, depending on how much is whipped. Another way of winning with Sushi is Cultural Victory (CV) .

You really have to improve though on finishing faster, T312 is no good, by that time, I roflstomp the World with Cuirrassiers (on Marathon!) .

15. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

To get a high score you HAVE TO I MEAN ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO conquer the world. Otherwise you don't have the land area needed to grow into oblivion. With out a ton of cities you will be small, and small equals very low score. Besides the finish date multiplier is probably the most important thing in score, as you are seeing. You are finishing very late so your score is getting a negative multiplier. Also you aren't playing on Deity, and Deity gives a huge multiplier.

16. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

I did say nothing about not conquering the world Zero :) It's just, that you can conquer up to 40%, get the last 10% by Sushi :culture: and win Culture or Spacerace if you want :) Finish Date Multiplier is Huge, but Deity is smaller then expected, just x2 from Noble, and we all know, Deity is exactly twice as hard as Noble :D

17. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

If he wants that 2M score every little last drop counts. :D And he said in his post above you that he doesn't want to have to conquer the world.

18. tox_von

tox_von Chieftain

is it possible to get a big score on a small island where there are close to 7 civs i never seem to win them easy.

19. Seraiel

Seraiel Chieftain

20. Zx Zero Zx

Zx Zero Zx Chieftain

No even if you use a corp your score won't be THAT high.