Good to "see" you!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by KingArthur, Jun 26, 2021.

?

Online Meetup?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

Vuldacon just prompted an idea in my head when he posted that it was good to "see" me in a thread. Well fellow Civvers we can do that through the medium of modern technology. How about a Zoom session? Bring Your Own Bottle. Maybe have a short Civ3 quiz and just hang out for an hour or two discussing Civ3 and life?

Kyriakos likes this.
  2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Having participated in the many-years-ago-now podcast I know it would be very enjoyable. Also take some serious negotiation to find a workable time.

3. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

That would be a Good Gathering... Always difficult to arrange the Date/Time that will accommodate everyone.

4. Blue Monkey

Which is not to say it can't be done - I think it only took about 3 months of discussion (and a poll) to arrange the podcast day & time.

5. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

so many timezones :crazyeye:

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

Sure, once I get a webcam :)
    I actually have run seminar meetings through Zoom, and it is a great platform.

7. Vuldacon

Do we need a Cam to participate? My Connection is still DSL and Not good at all due to many others on at the same time.... still better than the old "Dial Up" connection I had.

That is one the Big reasons I did not participate in the Podcast before.

Blue Monkey...3 months is a long time and King Arthur will be on the Road seeing the site by then :)

This does not have to be a "Big Deal"... those who can and want to participate can and that should NOT require 3 Months. How about 3 Weeks?

On a Positive Note, I believe this would be Great and do lot for those that can participate. I mean after ALL these Years, it is about time to "meet" each other and get to know one another better than we have thought or assumed.

"Make it So Number One"
    :thumbsup:

Kyriakos likes this.
  8. Blue Monkey

@Vuldacon Zoom can be used via cell phone, ipad, computer. Basically anything that send/receive data. You can do voice-only even if other people are using cameras. It's actually pretty easy to use once you get it installed.

And yeah, this will definitely be easier to arrange than coordinating a podcast recording.

9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

I'd like to participate :)
    Just tell me a week or something in advance, so I can actually have a webcam :D

10. Vuldacon

11. Blue Monkey

I don't know. I've only been involved with skype once or twice for family video calls at holidays - point to point, not multiple locations. TBH I haven't done much with zoom, but it has been with multiple people at multiple locations.

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

At any rate, I now do have a webcam :o

KingArthur likes this.
  13. Vuldacon

Great Kyriakos... I just do NOT have the Internet speed to have a Web Cam work as it should :sad:
    I do, however believe I can participate in a meeting... at least I will try.

Kyriakos likes this.
  14. Blue Monkey

With Zoom use of video is optional. When video is off what other people see is a generic outline with a name underneath.

15. Nanuk

Nanuk Warlord

Gwendoline and I sometimes discuss things on my discord channel, which isn't used for much anyways. Let me know if anyone else wants in. There will be several days of non-activity though, so it's not exactly hopping. I mostly use it for memes and working with Gwendoline on new units.

Kyriakos likes this.
  16. MartinLuther

MartinLuther look at this kawaii anime boy i found :)

I've talked about this before with @Thorvald of Lym but I like the prospect of having a Discord server for Civ3 modding. Using the different channels we can have a space to discuss each aspect of modding and can even have voice chat if we wanna discuss things that way.

17. Nanuk

Nanuk Warlord

Until we get an official channel up and running, feel free to pop into mine. The unit WIP channel is private, but we can start posting previews and other stuff into the open channels. Units won't be available until mod releases.

MartinLuther likes this.
  18. Blue Monkey

There is a definite downside: dividing the discussion of modding across multiple platforms makes it much more difficult to refer back to previous posts. Hypothetical example: Somebody discussed an Aztec unit. Was it in discord or here in the CFC forums? Was the entire discussion including links to other posts coherently in discord, or here in the forums, or split between the two? And what about the many people at CFC who are not also members of the discord?

To my mind a discord for social chatting would make sense. Setting up a discord for private discussion of a particular project would make sense. However, splintering public discussion of modding across multiple platforms results in unnecessary fragmentation of an already small community. Something to be avoided if at all possible.

19. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

I get so frustrated with the crowd trumpeting Reddit and Discord as the end of Internet forums; they are clearly not archivists. I'm on one artist's server and while there's a dedicated channel to their new works, they also pepper the others with both spur-of-the-moment and dedicated pieces, and it is an effing pain tracking down anything more than two days old.

MartinLuther likes this.
  20. Nanuk

Nanuk Warlord

I don't think people are looking for a platform to replace this forum. This forum is like The Great Library. Until it burns down, it is THE source for Civ. I think people are just looking to socialize more outside of it. Find similar interests, play games, get to know each other, and share quick tidbits about their projects and stuff. I don't see the harm or foul in that. Especially if we want to organize multiplayer games for Civ 3, discord or something similar is going to be a must for chatting. Heck, I'd love to organize a LAN party someday. I know it was attempted a few years ago for Civ 3 in Toronto, but the poor host had no one show up.