Goody hut madness

Hans Castorp

Prince
Turn 74, Ancient Start, King, Standard Speed, Standard size map: I found a goody hut. It gave me Cartography. Not the inspiration, but the tech itself. Never seen this before. I had Shipbuilding, so could have researched Cartography if I was so minded, but was not anywhere near the Renaissance otherwise. No Great Scientist. No Wonder. No Scientific CS. Not that these would explain it anyway. Anyone else seen anything like this?

Last edited:
Turn 74, Ancient Start, King, Standard Speed, Standard size map: I found a goody hut. It gave me Cartography. Not the inspiration, but the tech itself. Never seen this before. I had Shipbuilding, so could have researched Cartography if I was so minded, but was not anywhere near the Renaissance otherwise. No Great Scientist. No Wonder. No Scientific CS. Not that these would explain it anyway. Anywhere else seen anything like this?

I have seen something like that. In my current game, everyone is in the late classical/early medieval era, except Aztecs who have Cartography. I know, because they came over the ocean to visit me. And Lief Ericson hasn't been acquired yet. I've never seen the AI beeline Cartography so adeptly before. So it makes sense now that they got it from an ancient ruin somehow.

I have the good goody huts mod and it awards free techs sometimes but didn’t know it was in the base hut

Victoria did a table of possible goody hut benefits and the likelihood of each:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...m-reset-postpatch.623725/page-4#post-14904429

You'll notice getting a free tech is unlikely but possible after turn 50. I think there was a comment in R&F about boosting gold, faith, etc. gains from goody huts in later eras. I don't think Victoria's table reflects these changes, so the odds overall could be out of date.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...m-reset-postpatch.623725/page-4#post-14904429

You'll notice getting a free tech is unlikely but possible after turn 50. I think there was a comment in R&F about boosting gold, faith, etc. gains from goody huts in later eras. I don't think Victoria's table reflects these changes, so the odds overall could be out of date.

Thanks for this - that explains it. Victoria has the answer as so often!

I think you have to have prerequisite techs already for the one you receive. So, in my Aztec's case, they must have teched Shipbuilding by the time they found the hut that gave Cartography.

Yes, I had Shipbuilding. Guess that is one of the bigger jumps on the tech tree to get a boost like this on.

That's actually something of a relief. I had some trepidation about going up against a technologically superior Aztec empire on a foreign shore.

I've hit a lot of goody huts, but that has never happened to me

I've gotten free technologies from tribal villages before, but not one with such a big technological gap.

It is not always ideal when that happens. Sometimes I am still power building gallies so I do not want cartography (yet)

I got printing press from a goody hut last night. I had researched only one or two medieval techs and the game was still in the classical era (king difficulty).

I would like to see free techs limited to one era ahead of the global era.

Funny thing was, I started the game partly to get the achievement for England losing a city with a Reyna to loyalty on another continent. Made it a whole lot easier. Got the achievement by turn 111. :)

Top Bottom