1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Goody Huts, good or bad for the game?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Pyrrhos, Feb 9, 2008.

?

How do you feel about Goody Huts?

1. Goody Huts are an essential part of the game

34 vote(s)
    94.4%
  2. Goody Huts are bad and I'd like to see them go

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

Let me expound:

* The most common result is a glut of barbarians that either kill your soldier or make him an elite. This function is just as well or better served by barbarian camps.

* Free techs are the most damaging result. It completely nullifies the early advantage of scientific civs and can result in a skewered game as well as not teaching players the skills of proper research, trading and bullying other civs for techs.

* The rarest occurence is a settler. If this happens, it offsets the advantages of agricultural or industrious civs which are the true expansionist civs due to their higher productivity which if properly utilised translates into early expansion.

* Gold is very nice but is better obtained by razing barbarian camps. Also, to a lesser degree it offsets the advantage of commercial civs.

* Maps are imo the only worthwhile and non-detrimental contribution from Goody Huts albeit those civs with fast-moving scouts may have something to say about that.

Therefore, in my opinion, Goody Huts are detrimental. Without them, it would be a better game.

2. zo-zo

zo-zo _________

I like them, just adds to the randomness of the game.

3. Mursi lives

Mursi lives Warlord

Am I wrong or is it the exp trait you want to remove? Exp civs suffer more than other from barbarians (defenseless scout) and goody huts are fair compensation to that.

What early advantage are you talking of ?:confused: The early tech leaders are sea and exp (on non pelago maps) thanks to their ability to make early contacts and, for the seas, the fact they start with alphabet.

Maybe the game conceptors wanted to make exp civs a bit ... expansionists? ;)

4. MAS

MAS Deity

As far as I know, the scientific trait doesn't give early advantages, it gives its first free tech at the start of the MA. and goody huts only give AA tech.

The commercial civs get extra commerce, usually, this is put to research. The lump sum gold from goody huts just does not compare. This is no better than getting it from barb camps, just takes a few less fights. Once the goody huts are all gone, the gold is quickly used up.

The huts give less good stuff at higher levels. At a certain level, you may even want to avoid them unless you are expansionist.

Playing the expansionist trait is no less spoiling new players who need to learn how to play than industrious and agricultural are spoiling new players.

5. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck King

The nice thing about this game is, if you don't like goody huts - just disable them.

I dig them, adds a twist.

6. kingfire87

kingfire87 Warlord

I think that many, many players are seasoned and have played the game a lot. I know the value of increased research (but I don't really bully my friends). I think barbarians add an interesting twist. They don't always give an advantage, if you cause an uprising near a new town, you could get bigtime losses. I think that barbarians make the game more interesting.

7. Optional

Optional Deity

There is some gameplay involved in getting the best out of goody huts. Even more so on higher difficulty levels, where barbarians are stronger. It's not good to just pop away.

You have to know for instance, that the outcome of goody huts is always good (no barbarians) if you pop one without yet having a military unit in play. I've once made the mistake to pop three or so nearby goody huts that were all filled by barbarians, they killed my warriors and all of a sudden I had a serious problem... So with a very nearby goody hut a good first worker action would be to pop that goody hut: no barbarians then. Or, if you're religious, maybe start with chopping a temple, so that the goody hut gets taken in with the first expansion. Or would that be too risky, with the chance of nearby AI's? Well, that's a strategy question!

And what about goody huts a little further away, at good settler positions? Another thing to know: if you plump down a settler right next to a goody hut, warrior present or not, again the outcome will always be good, although using a settler means you will never get a settler or free town. But at least it will be good. So there's another interesting gameplay element for you: Does that goody hut make the position good enough to send your first settler over there? And will you guard that goody hut with a warrior to prevent a rival AI getting there first? Again; strategy questions.

So, goody huts do add some strategic questions to the game on their own right.

8. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Is there anything you don't complain about?

Set barbarians to 'none' when you generate the map if it bugs you.

The main spoiler for an expansionist Civ is Granaries.

9. dirtworm

dirtworm Warlord

i never have used granaries before, i find then...a waste. i understand it may help with expansion..but..yeah, never had an issue before

10. brennan

What level do you play on?

11. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

Well, I haven't complained about you - yet ;) - and the question was about Goody Huts, not barbarians.

12. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

These are very good hints/tips/points! :goodjob:

13. brennan

Barbarians = none removes the Goody huts. :)

14. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

The expansionist trait and goody huts give a lot of variation to the game. The free techs you often get from goody huts, the early contacts and opportunities to trade, and the ability to build granaries with the knowledge of pottery from the start, make you very powerful in the earliest phase of the game, (=expansionist) and then you have to make the best of that good start. Once the ancient age techs are discovered, you have nothing to gain from the expansionist trait, whereas the other traits gives you benefits indefinitely.

"…not teaching players the skills of proper research, trading and bullying other civs for techs." Well, the nice thing is that it's just a game, and if you don't want to learn a certain lesson, you don't. It's not like you've missed some necessary knowledge and will be seriously handicapped for the rest of your life. :p

15. darski

darski Regent in Training

This is a troll and has nothing whatsoever to do with Civ3. it is just about starting a riot. One can only feel sympathy for one whose life is so empty.

16. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

From the safe distance of Canada, it's easy and must feel safe to spout this kind of ****e. In your highly esteemed opinion, I am that dreaded cyberspace boogieman and you have such marvellous insight into my life that you can and dare say it is "so empty"? I know it's empty enough to play a lot of Civ, but then I suppose most on here do too and in your opinion too suffer from "so empty" lives and have your august sympathy.

I think this calls for either a very public, very humble apology or terminal intervention by Admin.

17. Tribute

Tribute Not Sarcastic

brennan is correct about there being no goody huts when one selects no barbarians. However, that obviously means that there are no barbarian camps either. And what I believe Pyrrhos wanted was a way for there to be only barbarian camps, right? I do not believe there is an option for this, which is why he is complaining/asking.

darski's comment reminds me of one of the XKCD comics. Are you really a troll, Pyrrhos? :( (The smiley is for comedic effect, BTW.)

18. Pyrrhos

Pyrrhos Vae Victis

Good call!

Imo, the game becomes more enjoyable when you use the editor and take away all goody huts. Exp civs still enjoy an advantage as they get in contact with others that more quickly and so can trade techs and contacts.

As for being a troll, well it's all in the eye of the Beholder (nasty AD&D monster). ;)