Gordon Lightfoot has died.

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
I just found out from my morning news feed: Canadian folk music icon Gordon Lightfoot dead at 84

My introduction to his music was in my Grade 7 music class. We learned a few of his songs, and I promptly picked a couple of them to learn on the organ (by ear; I've never had any sheet music for his songs). My grandmother really liked them - Early Morning Rain and Did She Mention My Name?

Later I learned The Canadian Railroad Trilogy, from one of my Irish Rovers albums (I honestly think they did a better job of that song than Lightfoot did).

But I think everyone is familiar with The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

We lost one of our national treasures last night.

Rest in peace.

My dad was a big fan of his, so I grew up listening to a lot of his music. I have kinda mixed feelings about his work. Many of his songs don't quite click with me - they're certainly not bad, just not quite my thing - but the stuff of his I do like I absolutely love. Songs like Early Morning Rain, Black Day in July, Ballad of Yarmouth Castle, The Canadian Railroad Trilogy and of course The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald are among my all time favourites.

Rest in peace.

Sundown is another one I always liked, and I think his biggest hit state-side. Sad news. My mom loved him so I heard his stuff growing up. He had a very unique voice.

As a Minnesotan, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is totally one of our unofficial state songs. Pretty much timeless.
Second only to the Menards jingle.
You save big money! You save big money! You save big money when you shop Menards!

In my meanderings through the off-topic section of a different gaming forum I belong to, I checked the music thread, and found this. I don't watch talent shows, so completely missed seeing this performance of Canadian Railroad Trilogy:

I don't think this song is well-suited to female voices, but this group of finalists did a good job overall.

Top Bottom