Got 500G from ElDorado on turn 3... now what? (Deity)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by AxelRhodd, Oct 21, 2012.

1. AxelRhodd

AxelRhodd Warlord

Hey all
    So for the first time ever I got to Eldorado first and scored 500G on turn 3! Insane I thought.
    I would like to know what would you do with the gold? Buy Settler and build second city? buy buildings, units, unit upgrades, ally CS or maybe just sit on it?

First the game settings

Random civ turned out to be Babylon

500G!

So my first instinct is to buy settler and build second city south of capitol next to marble. Also purchase the sugar tile before HK grabs it.

What would you do and why?

2. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Buy a settler, send your scout west. If you see some juicy stuff you should counsider settling west instead. There isn't much production so far on this map.

3. AxelRhodd

AxelRhodd Warlord

Thanks Tab

I did exactly as you suggested...
    I settled for 3 cities because there are no luxes to the west of cap at all and to the east are the Ottomans who warned me not to expand towards them. Im happy with the progress so far except for slow pop growth which Im trying to address.

Cheers

4. triheptyl

triheptyl Warlord

I just want to point out it's crazy how much your map looks like europe, north africa, and west asia.

5. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

im sure given enough time, the random map algorithms will generate a map that's a perfect earth map.

Can anyone calculated how likely this is? :p

6. Czer

Czer Chieftain

Its likely a terra map which loosely looks like Earth when generated. Makes for some neat games :)

7. Assuming any real world terrain can be simulated with the available in-game terrain possibilities and all resources as well, and that we use a complete random algorithm, i.e. none of the map scripts, which also have rules, for the values:

- no of tiles on generated map = T
    - river possibilities for each tile (without removing possibility of stupid rivers) = 2^6 (6 sides, each side can either have or not have a river) = 64
    - possible terrain types = #ter (grassland simple/hill/marsh/simple forest/hill forest; plains simple/hill/simple forest/simple jungle/hills jungle; tundra simple/forest/hills/hills forest; snow simple/hill; desert simple/hill; mountain; sea/ocean = 21)
    - types of resources = #res

The total number of possible generated maps would be
    (64 * 21 * (#res + 1)) ^ T
    of which one would be the best approximation of Earth.

For a 200 tiles map and 30 possible resources, for instance, that would be, according to my calculator, 1 to 8.9576174331207528668569624442876e+923, so basically 1 in something with 900 digits :)

This doesn't take into account that mountains can't have resources, or that there are land/water resources, which are two rules which could be added in the calculation, but I don't remember how to do that, would be very curious about it. It also doesn't take into account that rivers generally start in high ground and end in a lake or sea, but this can't be added in the calculation.

~~~
    Refinement 1 - rivers are shared between adjacent tiles, so it's not really 64 river possibilities per tile as much as it is 2 possibilities per edge. Assuming a perfect wrap around, there would be 3 * T edges on a map with T tiles, so the formula would become
    ((21 * (#res + 1)) ^ T) * (2 ^ (3 * T)) - for every possible terrain configuration there's a possible river configuration
    For the same numbers, that goes to 1 Earth map in 2.1587140196069607844260084545655e+743 possibilities, so lost a few zeros :)