Got inundatd with Barbarians!

JBryan314

US Army Combat Vet and Intelligence Agent
I just thought of something I was very curious about recently... I am still newer, but when I was more new I played a game with me vs 10 other AI opponents. This was the first time I'd played against so many, so I was going to test myself. All of a sudden, very early on, Barbarians started coming in waves. Tons of them. I couldn't grow my city or expand much at all because I was literally fighting Barbarians every turn. EVERY turn. Axemen against my archers, mostly. This went on for a long time, until I realized that I was already too far behind the AI civs to catch up so I retired and went back to my games of me vs 4 or 5 AI opponents. Was this just a freak occurrence? It hasn't happened again since then, and I've played other me vs 10 games. I used my scouts to search for Barbarian cities but never found one. It seemed like they just continuously spawned around my borders and attacked. The other civs weren't getting attacked. It was kind of fun for a while, but then it went on for so long and I wasn't making any progress.

Sounds like you may have had Raging Barbs checked for that game, by accident. I accidentally check options under Custom Games that I don't realize until afterwards, or they are left over from a prior setup like with HOF games.

With that said, barb intensity can also be a factor of the map and amount of open land around you. It always good to setup a spawnbust pattern around your empire with warriors, although that can still have a limited affect with Raging Barbs on. Great Wall is best for that option.

Just noticed I misspelled a word in the title. Crap. Whatever. Anyway, it was really weird. I was surrounded by civs, the Chinese to the East were fairly close to me and the barbarians would have actually had to cross through Chinese borders. I had about 6 civs North of me that the barbarians had to either go through or zigzag around. I had an ocean to the South and one civ to the West. Barbarians just flooded into my territory from the North and East. Maybe I had the raging choice checked. I don't know. When I retired and started a new game, it wasn't checked. I even looked in the settings box during the game to make sure and it wasn't checked. Bad luck I guess. I don't even mind the barbarians, they add a great aspect of the game. But this was brutal.

Lots of open space with lots of jungle or forest to cut down on line of sight.
Or, my favorite, when my neighbor builds the GW and the all by pass him to come at me.
Or raging horde.

This is why I never play with barbarians.. It is far more of an issue for the player than it is for the AI.

I've see the barbs take over my neighbors leaving some great cities for me to waltz into. Rare but it does happen

Barbs on large/huge maps are >.>

This is why I never play with barbarians.. It is far more of an issue for the player than it is for the AI.
I like playing with barbs. Easy XPs and free cities. Plus they add some challenge to the early game.

The only ones that tick me off are the barb galleys. They appear far too early in the game, IMHO, and long before there's an effective counter to them.

I've see the barbs take over my neighbors leaving some great cities for me to waltz into. Rare but it does happen

That's how the babrbarians can have Stonehenge.

Try Raging/Huge/Marathon on an arid or arboria map with you vs. 4 civs.
It's a different kind of game .

well... barbs can't have the great wall, since they can't build it and they can't capture it...

I've seen this happen, too, and not on raging barbs. It has a lot to do with how barb cities spawn. I'm guessing you were playing continents and, for whatever reason, most of the barb cities ended up on the other continent or random islands. Yours got not barb cities, so it got tons of random barbs.

I think I was playing Pangaea. I really like having confrontations with Barbarians. And this wouldn't have been an issue, normally I'd welcome the Barbarians to a big showdown like that, but I had 10 other Civs who were NOT having any problems with the Barbarians at all and were starting to get ahead of me to the point I wasn't going to catch up.

Try Raging/Huge/Marathon on an arid or arboria map with you vs. 4 civs.

I tried an Arid Rainforest map on noble/Huge/Marathon once, and it was already quite hardcore (On Noble and without Raging!). MM and Lincoln got wiped out by barbarians. Both of them happened to be my neighbours, which ensured me an easy win (although I was technically going for a fast modern era date - it was a challenge).

If you play with events on, the one that spawns a handful of HAs can get quite amusing because if they go after AI cities, they capture them and move on without leaving units behind. One game I ended up with a chariot that took 4 cities.

If there is a lot of open space between you and your neighbours, there's plenty of barbarian spawning happening. Just have a few warriors waltz around your territory or have them fortify on hills that reveal a lot of fog and you should have a much easier time.

I've just restarted an earth 18 map when the Indian civ was destroyed very early , then the Persians then the Eygtians... when i explored they were all Barbarian... so i guess it was the event or just very bad RNG, I was china and had not even met Persia and Egypt, I would have kept playing if another Civ was responsible but it happened so early I felt i was playing an Earth 15 map :D

I remember one time I played Earth 18 map as Egypt. Decent food land there and a lot of space.. but at some point, the barbarians will just start comming at you in waves because of all the empty land to the south.

Top Bottom