GOTM #10 *Spoilers* Thread

FACEMAN

Chieftain
I like those huts... got 3 techs from the first three huts and a bunch of warriors later on... only one barbarian place.
Took quite a long time to make first contact, so I could not really take advantage of my early techlead :(.
Lots of space around me so its gonna be quite a build up.
We'll see what happens

well, so far i really like this game :)
i was lucky in the beginning and popped a settler out of the first hut, the following huts also gave me 3 techs, warriors and only 2 barbs...so i had quite a tech lead in the beginning.

i first met the aztechs and the russians and as i said i was about 4 techs ahead. together with my 3 or 4 cities i was easily leading the pack in the beginning. a few turns later, aztechs and russians had made contact with the other civs and, you know it, they traded like crazy. gone was my tech-lead, from now on i was lagging behind by 3-4 techs :(

i concentrated on expansion...i managed to secure both sides and the bottom of the lake so i have quite enough room to grow in the future. i think this part is critical, if you leave these locations to montezuma/catharine/bismarck you have very few room to expand.

as time goes by, i buy contacts to all the other civs, and behold, i am still leading scorewise by ~50 points, quite a surprise for me (this is 300 BC)...i'm building settlers like crazy, my main priority is now to grab all the land i can get. unfortunately this leaves me rather weak in terms of military and science...

later i rushed to literature, and i hope i can build the GL (i was prebuilding in paris) so i can catch up techwise. so far this game is a peaceful one, but i plan to go to war as soon as i'm done with settling and building up a knight or cavalry-army...i think having / not having the GL will make the difference in my game.

here are some screenies:

ok, now i really LOVE this game :D

i got the GL, got 7 techs in one turn (boy, i was lagging behind!), switched to monarchy and have now settled all the remaining space...i've set my tech rate to zero, i'm building a huge horseman-army that will later be upgraded to knights, and soon the aztecs and germans will be my first target...i only have to think about where to put my FP...a leader would be nice, too :)

btw, are faceman and i the only ones who are playing? ;)

Wow, looks like this game will go fast, must be some of the changes in 1.29f. Some weird pricing of techs early on but then things started looking familiar again.

Anyway, 1625BC and I have embassies with every civ, so I know where they are all located because I've seen their capitals. No other civ has any techs that I don't have. I'm looking pretty good on the power graph, top of the score chart and I'm just starting to really kick in some expansion and I've got a city producing veteran units.

whew, this game is really intense with everybody on one landmass...in my game its now 1130AD, the aztecs are history and i am quite unable to stay even in the tech-race...i really dont know whether i should buy or research the techs, right now im 3-4 techs behind, not good :(

although i have the biggest empire, i really dont know what to do about my lack of science, soon the AI will have cavalry and i'm far away from it...so i think conquering germany with a cavalry-blitzkrieg isn't an option any longer...

maybe i should stay peaceful, build up some universities, libraries etc. and try for a cultural / diplomatic victory? well, time will tell...maybe i find my lost focus :)

here is a screenshot of my world:

Ah, I knew I would love this game before even loading it up. France is my favourite nation, or at least among my favourites (as they often change), standard size map is what I always play and i'm a regular monarch player. My map looks about the same as the ones that were posted above and I haven't had a single war so far but i'm leading at military size and techs. My FP went to the town where Lemming's Chartes is located and now i'm really going strong at everything. The southern area started becoming productive and i'm about to conquer the aztechs. I don't think I will go on any more warmongering after that though, these standard rules make corruption too much of a hassle for faraway towns so I will attempt a peaceful victory.

Oh, in my game America has been destroyed by England (in yours they're bigger), Russia and Germany. Was quite nice of them to destroy most of their towns, gave my settlers the chance to get some cities for ourselves :)

Well, I don't expect much to happen in the game anymore, a short war against Monti, integrating his cities into my empire and then only building up my towns and going for either spaceship or UN victory. The starting position was just too good to make the game a competition (Maybe I shouldn't celebrate too early, maybe it won't have saltpeter, coal, rubber, oil :)) but with the current tech lead I think I would be able to conquer the world with my knights if I really needed to.

Early game, and I decided to chance attacking the Aztecs. I was successful in destroying them and they appear to have re-spawned east of Russia.

When I destroyed their city, all of their troops on the field dissappeared!!!(a la Civ2) Is this a change with 1.29, or have I just not noticed this before.

Greg

p.s. I'm top score, culture and power!!!

Originally posted by simplybag
My FP went to the town where Lemming's Chartres is located and now i'm really going strong at everything. The southern area started becoming productive and i'm about to conquer the aztechs. I don't think I will go on any more warmongering after that though, these standard rules make corruption too much of a hassle for faraway towns so I will attempt a peaceful victory.

hehe, thats funny...i have built my FP in...Chartres :) gave me an important boost in my war with the aztecs...

The starting position was just too good to make the game a competition (Maybe I shouldn't celebrate too early, maybe it won't have saltpeter, coal, rubber, oil :)) but with the current tech lead I think I would be able to conquer the world with my knights if I really needed to.

with saltpeter you dont need to worry...if u conquer the aztec land, there will be a lot of saltpeter, unfortunately in the french homeland there's none.

Good, then I did the right thing by conquering them (task done now) :) I got my GA by building Smith's and i'm now boosting through the middle ages. I got a GL in the war with aztechs and I used it to rush build Leonardo's. That's another change I just noticed in 1.29 (maybe it was introduced before but I only realised it now): GLs now always have a movement rate of 3, instead of the movement rate of the unit that triggered it.

I should have Cavalry quite soon, techs only take 4 rounds during the GA at the moment, well, maybe Germany would be a nice enemy, I'm quite undecided on that issue :D

i beat the aztecs and the russians only to have both of them regenerate. A wierd thing just happened in my game. There was a barbarian uprising near one of my cities, but the next turn there appeared to be uprising's in 4 seperate places, each with a stack of 15 barb horseman. It will be safe to say i will lose all my gold next turn. That will set me back a bit, but it is still early (270 BC). I wonder if this happened to anyone else? Hopefully i can get enough settlers to build cities in the old aztec/russian territory and split the continent in half, which i think would be very advantageous.

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
i beat the aztecs and the russians only to have both of them regenerate. A wierd thing just happened in my game. There was a barbarian uprising near one of my cities, but the next turn there appeared to be uprising's in 4 seperate places, each with a stack of 15 barb horseman. It will be safe to say i will lose all my gold next turn. That will set me back a bit, but it is still early (270 BC). I wonder if this happened to anyone else? Hopefully i can get enough settlers to build cities in the old aztec/russian territory and split the continent in half, which i think would be very advantageous.

ah, the respawning :) i was very lucky with that...before taking the last aztec city, i made peace with them and demanded everything they got including a city i havent even on the screen yet...it turned out, that it was on a small island in the middle of nowhere :) so i was quite happy to take it, because after conquering the last aztec city in their homeland they were gone for good as there was no space left for a respawn ;)

about the barbs: i also had a massive uprising, i think it was also in 250BC or so...they appeared at three cities...i traded all my gold before they attacked so they "only" stopped my production and reduced those cities to size 1 :(

First contact near an Aztec City, then American / Russian Scouts from East and all the others Civs before 1100BC.
The Iron on sight is at a fair distance on the other side of the Big Lake. The weak Aztecs have Iron and are the only Civ in reach of that precious Iron.

Then Restless Barbarians in 530BC, 2 Hordes of 16 Crazy Horsemen by-passed 2 Elite Warriors and headed towards a City (I hate them). I spent my Gold buying Techs (including Monotheism) and German Embassy. The following turn the Barbs ransacked the City for 1 Gold each.

In 450BC, I am researching Republic at 40 turns (19 left). I have not yet reached the Iron and the Aztecs just built a City nearby. The civilized map is revealed.
5 Civs at 200 points and Russia/Rome/Aztec near 160 points.

OK, i'm finished. As expected there were no real problems in the game. I invented steam power sometime in the 13th century and when my two mainlands were completely connected I set my workers to automatic movement. They kept running into Russian
territory and that annoyed me as it slowed them down of course. So I decided to visit Catherine with my cavalry. Russia was no longer after just 3 rounds (I could attack from 2 sides :) of war.
Later on that turned out to be a wise decision. There was no oil at all in my "old" territory, but 3 in the Russian territory
so I was pretty lucky to decide that way :)

Since my GA in the middle ages no invention has taken me longer than 4 turns, so I was just attempting a quick and peaceful victory. I'm not the kind of player who enjoys checking out some tool to see how many more tiles I can own before I get domination victory and milking the game isn't enjoyable either (I do like wars, but didn't want to start any because it would have slowed down my research). The only "milking" bit was in the last 3 turns when I put research to 0% and luxury to 60% to get a few more points for happy citizens :)
UN victory seemed a bit risky to me, Germany-Iroquois-Rome had MPPs with each other and I was allied to England. Could have turned out to be a 2-3 result against me.

That's it, spaceship victory in 1788.
GOTM10 was just the other way around than GOTM9 was: in GOTM10 I expected it a very funny game due the great starting position, nice civ and good map size. The start kept my hopes up but then later in the game it got too boring because there was nothing to do. in GOTM9 I first thought it was unwinable for me, so far behind in tech etc, but in the end I still managed to achieve a victory and the game was undecided until the end.

hey guys. I did similar but a few things different than what was mentioned. First, i started the game and while expanding, got owned by all the civs. =( So I restarted and placed my cities a bit differently. About where brest is located, i placed my fp. I also positined my other cities to the edges of the land mass. This allowed max future expansion. It took 19 turns to build the fp.

My original borders kept to the inside of the lake with the exception of the southern half. I made beelines to the insence, silk, iron, and second spawn of horses. In that region, I built my cities.

The key difference between the first game and my second was building a few graneries and temples the second game. In both cases I had barb uprising and rushed troops to aid my beleagured cities.

As mentioned, I took out the aztecs and obtained the pyrimids. This really helped save per turn cash. At this time, I started to build out these cities and look for mpp's. Unfortunatly, the germans attacked and I called in help from other nations and the germans asked for peace after destroying a few of his minor cities. Up to this time, no civ wanted to attack my musketeers... I had a difficult time hitting my ga. I was producing cav and still did not have a ga... My tech was lagging but the where my units were obselete. The civ was making riflemen where I was about 5 turns from getting nationalism.

At this point, I obtained mpp's with germany and america. I then declared war on the russians. They dropped so fast that I had about 8 turns left on my mpp's. So, I declared war on the Iroquois. They currently have 1 city on an island and one that the germans did not take out yet. I made peace and garrisoned my new cities.

During my garrisoning, a city flipped and I will leave it for someone else to take out.

At this point, i have steam power and about 4 turns from industrilization. My civ is in monarchy and I dont plan on changing... except maybe to communist but i doubt I will.

My next goal will be to obtain mpp's with all nations and get railroads/factories at my major cities. This will be a long process but once done, I will look at taking out the gemans.... Unfortuantly, they will have panzers by then.

In my game the Americans are very aggressive. I've already had two wars with them. I reduced the Aztecs to rubble using my mighty army of arrogant Musketeers. Great rendition of the snotty French laugh. I got the GA with my first Musketeer victory and used the period to build a huge army of Musketeers and Knights. They really work well together as an army. I'm currently second behind the Americans who took out the Russians early. I'm going to "spend" my army hurting the Americans as much as I can before I chill out and wait for tanks. Great game so far. Thanks Matrix.

PS I like the new right-click "Wake All" button.

Constantly fighting massive barbarian uprisings, I spread around the northern side of the big lake. Great terrain for settling there. In the beginning I mainly concentrated on expansion, building as much settlers as i could.
Just in time to secure the iron source I moved to the south- western side of the lake and started building swordmen immediately, since the Germans unexpectedly declared war on me. When the Russians joined the Germans, it seemed necessary to sign an alliance with the Aztecs and the Romans.
Well, with the help of my horse- and swordmen i conquered two small german cities and they signed a peace- treaty, giving me one more minor city.
Meanwhile I had built the GL and immediately received 4 techs, quite a blessing at this point of time, since monarchy was among them and I could finally switch.
The game went on mas o menos unspectular, rushing my infrastructure and culture, fightin the weak Russians for a short time and then turning to Monty, who didnt even manage to connect his cities.
Npoleon and Richelieu gave me Sun- Tzus and FP.
I bulit the FP in the middle of nowhere, in a minor aztec town, quite a distance south of the lake. It will be the center of my new territories, but thats still some campaigns from now.....
My overall position is dominating, i have 1900 gold in my tresury and entered GA 5 turns ago. The strong opponents are America, that has attacked me several times by now, and the Iroquis.
The Romans, Germans and British are quite weak, but they keep up in the tech race, which I have now entered with full power.
Have to see, if I am going to be fast enough, when GA ends...

Nice map, i enjoy playing

Originally posted by Phaedrus
In my game the Americans are very aggressive. I've already had two wars with them. I'm going to "spend" my army hurting the Americans as much as I can before I chill out and wait for tanks. Great game so far. Thanks Matrix.

yeah, the americans are really going nuts in this game...they waged two senseless wars with me, they crossed the entire russian land just to reach my border cities...i signed a few mpps so abe was shooting his own leg, oh well :D

another update from my game:

its now 1832 AD, the french are a now a huge civilization, i already had the opportunity to win this game by UN-vote but they are all furious at me, so i didnt vote...i will try a domination victory i think or maybe im milking the game, but i think england or america will build a spaceship first...well, here are the details:

after finishing the aztecs i decided to go right after the germans with my knight-army. to my surprise i had no problems at all, the germans were very weak with mainly spearmen as their defenders. soon they joined the aztecs :D
i was still lagging behind tech-wise although the germans traded just a few techs to me, but now i was building libraries/universities like a madman...i really wanted to be the first to have steam power and industrialization.

so the time after the german war was a peaceful one, lots of building and regenerating from the wars, switching to democracy and building sistine chapel. my next target should be the romans, i planned to attack them as soon as i got cavalry. unfortunately the AI players were still ahead in the tech race, so they all had riflemen at the time i discovered military tradition. it took quite some time to build up/upgrade my cav-army and when i was ready to attack, the roman cities were defended by infantry, OUCH :( so what could i do? i built lots of artillery and this combination slowly took down the roman cities. with the help of the english, caesar was finally history with me grabbing the most of his cities (btw, as u can see in the screenshot, england grabbed neapolis, which is by now surrounded by my empire, but still it won't flip to me :( so this looks rather strange to me...)

another time of peace followed, finally i got the tech-lead and was first to build a tank-army. i decided to go after the iroquois next, again with the help of elizabeth (she was a nice slave to me, kicking my enemies' butt and i took all the cities :D) and this is where i stand now...im in the middle of the iroquois war, i took over most of his cities and soon he will be gone...i will then still need a few cities for domination but as i said, maybe im going for spaceship or milking the game, time will tell ;)

all in all, i really like this game...heres a shot of my world:

Hehe, I always find it funny how different the AIs turn out to be in different games :) In my game the Americans were the first to be destroyed and England was the only really competitive civ (offering more than world map and a few gold for top techs). So far the only thing that seems to be equal in all games I've heard about are the weak atzechs, in my game they only had 5 cities in their mainland and 2 colonies (in the Russian territory). Although their starting position wasn't that bad and they could easily have gone NW and settle there. The civs who started in the south had no effect to the game at all, they just were small and quite peaceful (apart from Germany who fought America in the beginning) and they seemed to be rather unimportant in all games as of yet.

This game is progressing quite smoothly. I am in 1560 and Germany has been recently taken out of the picture. They made the foolish choice of attacking me. I then made the choice of attacking back, forgetting that they had a MPP with England. At that time they were the only two nations with an MPP. I made alliances with everyone but America to destroy Germany. I made an alliance with America to destroy England. This meant that Lincoln would soon renege on his Alliance with Bismark to destroy Cathy. The upshot of all this was that the whole world was against England and Germany, and everyone thought that I was wonderful. Germany had been the number one superpower
Anyway. I got my GA by completing the Hanging Gardens in my town where Lemming built Cherbourg. With this production boost, I completed Sun Tzu's. I actually own every Wonder except The Great Wall (Aztecs), Sistine Chapel (America), and Copernicus (Built by England - captured by the Iroquois).
I just finished Evolution and I am now 15 turns from Hoover Dam.
I built my FP in Lemming's Strausbourg. I am grabbing up all the territory in old Germany, and I am preparing to annhilate the Aztecs. They are pretty wimpy. Nine towns. I will send over a couple of Cavalry to their Island dwelling, and then I will finish them in a few turns.
Ahhh. It is nice to be in the driver's seat with all the children safely strapped into their carseats.
Thankyou Matrix.;)

Top Bottom