1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 108

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Magic_gorter, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Game of the Month 108: March 2010

Game Settings:
    Civilization: Japanese
    Map: Special map (250x20); 6 civ's, flat, no huts
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Barbarians: Villages only
    Restarts: Off
    Victory by conquest only

Starting Techs:
    ~ Bronze Working

This is a special one. I've called it "Grand Canyon". As the title tells we will play on a map with a lot of mountains and rivers. I removed all huts too. I hope it is a nice challenge. Have fun.

Games will be due on April 18th, 2010.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file).

Please sent the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Starting save is here

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  2. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

If the Barbarians are "villages only" and all of the huts have been removed, doesn't that mean there will be no Barbarians?

3. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

This could get very interesting. Don't think we've played on a map this thin, but we have had several extra-long maps [eg # 41 58, 67, 68 and 95]. I'm guessing this one will play like 58, The Guantlet, or maybe even harder if the terrain is bad.

BTW - if any player hasn't already noticed the new GOTM Index, check it out ! Old gotms are much easier to find now.

4. Magic_gorter

I really don't know if barbs will apear. They can't come from huts this game. The only two other ways are:

1. From sea in the early part of the game (might be possible in this game)
    2. Appearing somewhere on land at the end of the game (don't know if this will happen).

And I guess that the barbarian level is telling the game how often (after x numbers of turns) a new barbarian will be created. Perhaps somebody else knows more about barbarians...

5. Ace

Ace Chieftain

"Villages only" means just that, and if there are no huts...no Barbs!

6. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

That's what I thought.

7. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

This map is demented !
    This map is nasty !
    This map is diabolical !
    This map is fabulous !
    I love this map !

But I am not sure normal players should go anywhere near this map.

8. Magic_gorter

I'm glad you like this map. It took me a lot of time to create this map.

What do you mean with normal players should go anywhere near this map???

9. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

It looks tough. EC fanatics will love the challenge of conquering before the sun burns out, but normal players might get frustrated. I can't say much more here, but have started a spoiler, if you want to read more.

10. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Chieftain

I haven't started playing yet, but I can see a big problem if the map has a lot of river-mountain tiles on.

11. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Well, I hope everyone will try this one, despite what I said above. It is very enjoyable [if you don't insist on a quick win]. It has the feel of exploring a new Grand-Canyon-esque world. I won't say it is easy, but I haven't faced any big problems yet that should totally stop anyone. Thanks, Magic Gorter !

12. haleewud

haleewud Chieftain

For purposes of scoring, is this map considered Large, Normal or Small? Can somebody tell me the cut-off. Also, when I am submitting my results (this is my first time), do I submit my CIVILIZATION score (from F9), or do i need to calculate my GOTM score?

13. Magic_gorter

It's considered to be a large map.

I do however use the formula instead of the excelsheet on the gotmpage because it's not always correct. When submitting you can mention your score (F9) if there is no bonusscore. Otherwise you need to must count it manually. I do calculate the GOTM score always so that is not needed (you always can add it).

14. haleewud

haleewud Chieftain

I just finished. When looking at my Civilization score there appears to be 3 components (at least for this game), Citizens, Acheivements and Barbarians. When I add those numbers together I get a total. My score at the bottom of the screen said "Bonus Score" and it was 112 larger than the total of the 3 components.

So my final score is the raw total of the 3 components? Does anyone know how the "Bonus Score" is computed?

15. Magic_gorter

Your score is the total score minus the Bonus Score. So in this case those 3 components are the one you should count. Sometimes you get points for future techs, peace, pollution, spaceship. Those points do count to.

I don't know how the bonusscore is computed...

16. timtofly

timtofly One Day

What was your Barbarian count? Barbarian was villages only and there were no huts.

17. Magic_gorter

The barbarian score for villages only is -50.

18. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Excellent map and game! I gave up after 980 AD as I was making such a mess of things. I even lost a size 7 city which I had left guarded by a Phalanx and no walls to a surprise Mongol attack :( I have always been more interested in scenarios than early conquest/landing games, but I have learned a lot from this game and I will have another go and see if I can improve. I find that I lose my focus and tend to skip through hundreds of years without keeping a check on what my cities are doing.

:goodjob:

EDIT: Having no huts made the game much more interesting too!

19. Magic_gorter

Thanks McMonkey for the compliment. I will improve the map a little. Made a few mistakes with the capitals of a few AI capitols. So when I have changed that I think I will upload it to the CFC database.

20. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

This map looks too interesting to pass up. There is no way I can finish this thing on time. I am going to start soon but I am leaving town in half a day and I will be gone for a week.