GOTM 116 (Montezuma) Final Spoiler

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

GOTM 116 Final Spoiler (Montezuma)

So how did your game after 1AD go? Tell everyone about your amazing victory (or your embarrassing defeat)!

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in GOTM 116 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Late space for me sometime after 1800... I got to 63% of the land with muskets and cats (and a few cannons near the end), but was a bit too slow for a good date. Nothing particular intersting in my game... A vanilla run to space on novel, where the AI are obviously nothing more than a speed bump. (I killed all but Liz and Biz, who were both friendly with me by the end of the game.)

I got a 1520 diplo win. Libbed radio and had a somewhat lucky GE on hold for the UN. Isabel and Napoleon were killed, meanwhile Cathy and Liz were seduced to friendliness. Thankfully, lonely and backward Bismarck's population barely outweighed Cathy's for him to be my opponent, securing the win.

1610 Domination victory. I've been trying to read more of the strategy & tips in what little spare time I have. Definitely making improvements. Now that I really understand the power of whipping, I think I'm addicted to it. With so many of the luxuries for improving happiness on other continents, I finally realized the waste of the extra population. Might as well whip them and get something for it.

This is the first GOTM I have ever played. Despite having played Civ off and on for about 20 years, I just re-started playing after about a 8 year hiatus. In my warm up solo games I had been playing on Marathon and Huge settings which I believe threw my timing off in this game. I ended up with a loss by being conquered in 2032 AD.

It didn't take long to figure out I was in a relatively isolated starting position. At least my first city was resource rich and had flood plains. I saw the other continent just south of mine, and planned to expand there by researching sailing. But being spiritual, I opted to first dive into religious tech, founding Buddhism and building the Oracle. I built my second city in 2160 BC at the northern tip of my starting continent since that was a resource rich spot and would give me a second wine I could later trade. I obtained sailing around 300 BC and made a crucial decision to forgo further expansion on my own continent in favor of founding a city on the continent to my south. By 350 BC I was firmly planted on that continent with a northwestern city near a valuable copper vein. I met the Spanish, flowering them with peaceful overtures, but as my galleys started exploring new waters, I secretly plotted to conquer them completely as the new millennium dawned.

In 25 AD I declared war on Spain by attacking a settler that was encroaching too close to the marble resources I wanted. After a few turns, I began to feel the weight of war growing on my flagging economy. During the war, I discovered that the "famed" jaguars were not as good as I thought they were. At least not when the enemy has axemen. My first mistake was now clear...by researching various religious tech and founding three religions, I had delayed sailing too long. Once the war started my opponent already had iron, rendering my jaguars ineffective and dooming my war to fail. By the time we found peace in 1260 AD, both Spain and I were at the bottom of the scoring chart and behind on tech.

My second mistake was maintaining a constant war footing and it cost me dearly. In summary, after a few more wars with Spain, France, and England, I was way behind on tech and would never recover. My wars had all been essentially fought to stalemates and in the interest of economic development, I had retreated to owning my original continent only. At this point I focused on population and economic growth. But low tech, poor diplomatic relations, and a relatively small military, resulted in constant attacks by the other powers, now including Germany and Italy. By 1900 I felt the game was unwinnable but rather than retire, I set a new personal goal of survival. If I could maintain possession of my starting continent, I would consider it what I like to term a "small victory".

I managed to survive into the 21st century, fighting off wave after wave of amphibious attacks from better-armed opponents, but in 2032, my last city finally fell to the Italians. Unfortunately musketmen and grenadiers do not fare particularly well against modern armor and infantry.

I vow to do better in the next GOTM. Can't wait.

1795 Dom win. WBs got contact with most everyone early on. Took out spain with maces. Invaded France and England (with galleons) soon thereafter. Bungled attacks on Paris and London though and lost some good sized stacks of experienced units. Finished off everyone with grenadiers and cannon.

I love building an economy and then crushing my opponents with modern military units too much to get really good scores. But oh well, I still have fun!

Took out Spain with Maces/catapults. Interesting that neither of us had horses. In fact, I never built a horse unit the entire game. Attacked Rome with artillery and infantry, and Bismarck attacked me because of defensive pact. Bismark never affected me though. After taking two Roman cities, I saw Russian swarming and feared a sneak attack. Sure enough she did and took Rome. I did manage to hold on to my one foothold city though even as France then attacked me. At war with four of them, I held my own and then advanced against Rome and then took out most of France. Struck peace with Germany, Russian, and Rome when I could. But then attacked Rome for good, then once they and France were done, took out Russia too. Was readying my troops to fight England and waiting for cities to come out of anarchy on the border to lessen incursions by England. But those cities popping got me just over 64%.

Now I shall keep playing to see how tough England would have been.

I was doing all right but got conquered by a bug. Had to abandon game due to protected assets problem. :mad: :ar15::badcomp:

Top Bottom