1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] GOTM 127- Final Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

GOTM 127- Final Spoiler

@neilmeister
    Hi Neil, How are you doing? So how did your game after 1AD go?
    Did you succeed in the Challenge? What was the hardest part or what kept you from doing it?

@others, Oh yeah - I'd like to hear how you did too. ;)

The feature I liked was Japan starting on their own island.
    Anything others liked?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in GOTM 127 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
    • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
    • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

2. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

LOL, wasn't expecting a personalised spoiler thread :)

Space victory in 1840ad.
    I did pretty well actually, steamrolled the English, left them a crap jungle city not far from our original border, germans were a bit harder as they had really spread out and I was a bit unfocused (and had stopped building units).

I managed the challenge without too much issue, the Japanese were very easy.... did them with Cavalry. Monty had built a pile of wonders so grabbed most of them before stopping. Took a spanish city just a few turns before the spaceship departed.

The feature that I felt worked really well was that our starting area was ok, but nothing special. The brits & germans had all the nice land so it was in everyones interest to go after them hard.

Thanks for the game

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

Mr. President, colloquially known as Tuppence, couldn't figure out what to do. His good friend, Pudding, had requested that they divide up the world together.

Desirous of Pudding's backyard, Tuppence devised a plan to throw the economy into the drain, catering to the tobacco, coal, and oil industries naval industry, and did what he could to line the seas with Galleons aplenty.

Whipping his people into a fervour, Tuppence sent countless souls of Settlers on journeys overseas with naught but the promise of hope for a better life. They would compete with Pudding's Cultural advantage by aggressively spreading McBurger outlets at the edges of Pudding's settlements, hitting Pudding on home turf, to prevent Pudding's Culture from making the task of Domination that much harder to achieve.

Yet, when these brave souls arrived, they were not only disheartened to find that Pudding actually shared a continent with Neato and Joy, but that there was little room to plant a McBurger joint. There was naught but a tiny Flood Plains square that was awash with nearby Culture from Neato and Joy, so the Settlers looked for other places to settle.

After more than 20 turns of wandering, most Settlers returned to a heavily-whipped homeland which never truly recovered from this great investment. One lone Settler took up residence near some Silver deposits on the island occupied by Aid.

Pudding was a soft target, but was off limits, due to the backroom deals and love affair with Tuppence, leaving others to take the brunt of the very-late-to-the-party army, which followed-up the Settlers far too many turns later than it should have been sent. Even an earlier conquest of nearby Murky's lands would have made far more sense, given knowledge of the layout of the land. Unfortunately, conjecture in the Pre-game Discussion Arena had led Tuppence to incorrectly conclude that spamming Settlers and sending them to the likely-vast, Russian-only-owned continent would have been the best strategic play. Unfortunately, the Russian homelands were a relatively small area of the map, a fact which proved to be in stark contrast to the Pre-game imaginings.

First to taste overseas blood was Aid, who was One City Challenged to avoid Pudding being able to resettle an iceball City with a Settler Party that had been sneakily placed in Aid's backyard.

Pudding was greedy and was easily bribed against Joy. Then, a clandestine meeting with Neato had him go after Pudding. Joy lost much land while Pudding lost a smaller amount of land to Neato.

Meanwhile, back home, Murky had been building a large militaristic force, only lacking in War Elephants, thanks to some clever conquesting by Tuppence of Cameraman's lands and subsequent Culture Buildings being constructed to maintain control of all of the sources of Ivory.

It took Tuppence an excruciating amount of whipping, but he was able to field enough of an army to finally eliminate Murky, and then use his naval network to ship his troops over to Neato's lands.

Neato had not been idle and had a vast military. With a deadline looming and less than an hour in which to make it happen, Tuppence threw his forces haphazardly at Neato, capturing and losing a couple of Cities before eventually keeping a few and hanging on long enough with hasty End Turn presses to trigger a Domination Victory.

Aid had put up a large fight for his final holdout and twice Tuppence's forces were rebuked, risking Aid surviving till the end. But, with the help of the navy, Knights were shipped in to save the day, finishing off Aid and keeping the City, if for no other reason than to laugh at the nearby useless Settler Party owned by Pudding.

Two Great People sat idly by, wondering why they hadn't been used in a Golden Age, but there wasn't even time to select one and press a button--End Turn or bust.

And thus, Tuppence met the challenge set out by the Map Maker at great cost to his people, wondering all of the while why he hadn't simply decided earlier how much he liked licking Pudding from a pole.

Thanks for a fun game! I do admit, though, that there was some ambiguity that left me guessing--for capturing land (aka a City) from an AI who had to survive, what qualified? Assuming that we want to capture land from AI 1:
    1. Could we capture a City from AI 1 that had originally belonged to AI 2 and which AI 1 had captured from AI 2? I.e. We'd take a City from AI 1, but it wasn't a City that AI 1 had settled.
    2. Could we capture a City from AI 2 that had originally belonged to AI 1 and which AI 2 had captured from AI 1? I.e. We'd take a City that had originally been settled by AI 1 without ever having to go to war with AI 1.
    3. Could we Culture Flip a City from AI 1? I.e. No war with AI 1 needed.
    4. Could we Culture Flip a City from AI 2 that had originally belonged to AI 1 and which AI 2 had captured from AI 1? I.e. No war with AI 1 needed and not directly taking a City from AI 1.
    5. Could we gift a City to AI 1 and recapture it? I.e. War needed, but potentially an easy conquest.
    6. Could we gift a City to AI 1 and then Demand it back in tribute? I.e. No war needed, just a large enough army to back up our threat.

In the end, I dispensed with potential ambiguity and make sure that I militaristically took at least one City that was settled by AI 1 and owned by AI 1 at the time of capture. However, these kinds of questions are good to keep in mind for future such challenges, with the answers being either specific or else sufficiently intentionally vague so as to allow for multiple ways of completing said challenges.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

:clap:

Things to keep in mind when interpreting my challenges (and playing my maps). This map maker rarely playtests his maps these days and certainly not the challenges. Interpret them in the spirit of the roleplay. In this case, you were playing as the 13 colonies. So: