[Vanilla] GOTM 128, Emperor Julius - Final Spoiler, Game submitted

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
Did you win?

Did you have fun?

Did you play while drinking dos equis?
:beer:

What would you like to see in future vanilla gotms?

Certainly won though my economy was a bit rough.

Started out thinking I would just Cat/Praet everyone to death but the tech pace of the AI was a little too fast for that (or maybe mine was too slow). So the 'Mids and Representation saved me and allowed me to eventually get to Cavs. Once they started rolling off the production line they rolled around the map...

Toku did manage to found some far flung cities in the very last turns which hurt my date, but still OK: 1580 ad

... and I nearly always sip a beverage or 2 while playing.

Yes, would like to see more games.... I will even make the next one :)

A time win. An odd game, I was even the love of Tokugawa's life until around 1990 when our love affair went to crap. He decided a divorce wasn't good enough, he tried to kill me!!

Oh, the two exes were for Dos Equis :confused: I thought maybe you had just forgotten an"X" and was channeling the triple X movie series. :ar15:(not the xxx series :drool: )

I know it is tough to come up with different ideas but you have been doing a good job at it. Something interesting and different is always good.

Though I thought I started out pretty good, I didn't go to war until 1AD when I had 5 or 6 cities. When I did, I started with Washington whose culture was starting to affect the gem city. I took half his cities then took peace and almost immediately went after Asoka, taking all his major cities. I took two cities from Mao just past the long land bridge. It was a short peace and back to Washington who ended up with just one city at the bottom of the map. Then back to Asoka who was wiped out. I knew I wasn't going to win anything but maybe a very late domination or perhaps space, so I chose to just let time expire.

As a consequence of all the "empire expansion" I had fallen behind on tech. Tokugawa was neck and neck with Mao for the Tech lead and had some pretty good cities. They both had Infantry while I was just getting Riflemen. I focused on catching up and modernizing my armies. I began to get suspicious that Toku had fallen out of love with me, getting moody and distant and not telling me where he was going and what he was doing. So, I started spending some time with my now very good friend Mao and got a defensive pact. I broke this pact to finish off Washington which was probably a mistake. I had been on good terms with everyone else, even though I had made an unreasonable demand from Roosevelt earlier in the game. I left my force of about 20 cavalry and 15 cannons sitting in Asoka's last city which was just east of my territory but surrounded by Roosevelt's culture. I was considering renovating the neighborhood... Roosevelt closed his borders to me stranding my army.

A little while later my darling Toku attacks my border city on the top row of the maze, the love affair is officially over. :dunno: By this time I had Infantry and Marines but didn't quite have oil for Tanks yet. Toku successfully took one city and was threatening to take another on the top row when Tanks finally arrived to stalemate him a little. In the meantime I was trying to get Mao to ally with me, but he kept refusing, even for 2000 gold. I kept using cash to upgrade all my units. Toku was concentrating on the northern front so I sent an expeditionary force along the bottom row to pillage and hopefully give me time to get more Tanks into action. At last after I had managed to defeat another large force he had sent to attack my cities east of Mao, and taken an insignificant bottom row city, Mao agreed to be my ally for 3000 gold. I was now able to take back my captured city and sent a large force along the bottom to attack Tokugawa on a third front, while two more armies attacked along the northern route from each side of Tokugawa's borders. Mao took peace after taking one border city from Tokugawa, but now it was too late. I now had a large number of tanks and supported by Marines, Infantry, and Artillery I was unstoppable. My forces converged on his last city and he was gone. A few turns later time expired.

Last edited:
This was a difficult game to play as something has gone wrong with my installation of Civ4. The start up boxed splash screen with the progress bar refuses to disappear after the game starts. It stays right in the middle of the screen, overlaying everything else. IF I tab out of Civ4 and back in, the box is hidden until I interact using the mouse. Keyboard controls don't make it pop back up and I can scroll the map with the mouse, but as soon as I click on anything the splash box reappears. I tried to get a screen shot of this happening, but It would not let me. At some point I could not even tab to any of my other active programs.

Any ideas? I am using Win10 on an Alienware, no disk required to play the game. It had been working fine until just before the last Civ4 GOTM.

This was a difficult game to play as something has gone wrong with my installation of Civ4. The start up boxed splash screen with the progress bar refuses to disappear after the game starts. It stays right in the middle of the screen, overlaying everything else. IF I tab out of Civ4 and back in, the box is hidden until I interact using the mouse. Keyboard controls don't make it pop back up and I can scroll the map with the mouse, but as soon as I click on anything the splash box reappears. I tried to get a screen shot of this happening, but It would not let me. At some point I could not even tab to any of my other active programs.

Any ideas? I am using Win10 on an Alienware, no disk required to play the game. It had been working fine until just before the last Civ4 GOTM.

That sounds really annoying! I am on Win10 as well but I could not make Vanilla work at all until I installed Steam and them copied over most of my Steam install with an old copy of Civ4.... it is listed in the sticky thread on issues with Win10.

Top Bottom