1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] GOTM 128, Emperor Julius - First Spoiler to 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

Don't look if you haven't played to 1AD. :nono:

So, how did you your game go for the first four millennia?

2. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Blah. Lost my first settler to raging barbs. Slowed settling in general, only 3 cities settled at 1 AD, plus one captured from barbs and one captured from India, though a substantial force is prepared to take more by force of arms.
    I thought your placement of iron sucked, btw, for me and anyone else who settled in place.:cringe:

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Ok...the whole "no city razing" and me not knowing about it - cause I"m too stupid to read thoroughly, is cruel and unusual, especially on a 4x maze map where almost every AI city is stupidly settled 1 off the coast . Weeeeee ...I got GLH :lol:

Iron placement was not too bad..as I settled the gems second and went Myst before Masonry on way to Mids, as I figured culture would be needed.

Lots of worker turns roading to AIs stupid cities for trade routes.

I got all the things before heading to IW and unleashing a late Prat/Cat war...focusing on Wash's cities first (that I can't raze) and then probably double up Asoka cities (that I can't raze) and the backend of that war.

Although I lost a warrior and an Axe (did not realize it was a 2 archer stack), they were not that bad at all really. Strangely no barbs came from that 1 tile path to the NE that led to Toku and Mao.

Mids in Rome with chops. Wanted it more for happiness than research really.

Not really sure what I'm gonna do since it's ..you know...vanilla, and I suck at it. Plus, all the aces always go conq/dom.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I missed GLH... which made me very mad, on a Maze map it is essential.

At 1ad I am about to start the Praet/Cat war... wasted too much time settling (1 have 6 cites) and wonder whoring (SH, 'Mids, Oracle (CS in 450bc) and building Colossus).

I have killed 11 barb warriors & 10 barb archers already, many have come down the NE grass channel