1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] GOTM 129 - Final Spoiler, Game submitted

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

Tell us about it...

2. nocho

nocho Chieftain

The Khan ended up in the stars in 1830AD. This being Vanilla and Always War not sure if it's any good or not, more likely not I guess. :p

I was surprised to find out about war weariness, I thought that was usually absent under AW. Was that later introduced in Warlords or BtS? Of course I wasn't really sure how to regulate this WW, surely killing off AIs helped, but with the last AI standing (Catherine in my game) there remained a permanent 3 or 4 unhappy faces per city. Decided to not to go on a rampage through Russia and restrain myself to just killing any units entering my territory, that at least seemed to keep the WW in check.

To keep under the domination limit, I had to sacrifice the triple holy city of Delhi to the barbs. The city just claimed too many useless tiles! Ended the game at 62.7% so it was quite close.

Fun game, AW on an easy level is a nice variation.

3. Deckhand

:hatsoff:
    And so we conclude that having the Great Wall isn't always great.

4. nocho

nocho Chieftain

You mean in Vanilla the Great Wall doesn't even exist, which proved to be great. :p

By the way, the placement of the only aluminium on the map was pretty horrible, was that intentional? ;)

kcd_swede likes this.
  5. Deckhand

No.
    Sorry. :blush: I didn't check this map for aluminium .

6. Minou

Minou Chieftain

Domination win in 1060AD. Not too much to say, the AIs put up almost no resistance so most of the challenge was keeping from going bankrupt. Capturing the Pyramids helped a lot as I was at 0% research around 1AD and the extra beakers from library Scientists let me get to Currency and Caste System, after which new cities could be captured or settled rapidly. Keshiks did all the fighting. I settled perhaps 10 cities overall to help fill in empty voids in the map.

Somewhat amazingly, I hit 63.99% land the turn I thought I would win. Oh well, was able to pop another city border the next turn anyway. I had intended to generate a few Great Artists to help get the necessary tiles, but never actually used one. My first Great Person was a Great Engineer from captured Pyramids, and my only Great Artist popped the turn before I won and the game ended before he could walk to a relevant city.

7. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Late domination victory. But at least I exterminated Russia. Renamed their cities to match reality, for example St. Petersburg is Minas Morgul.