1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] GOTM 129 - First Spoiler to 1AD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

Don't look if you haven't played to 1AD. :nono:

So, how did you your game go for the first four millennia?
    Did you survive?
    Have you met everyone?
    Any other wars?

2. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

Forgot about the Always War setting until I met the first AI. So my early tech were not the best, but I quickly got AH and found horses in the 3rd ring of my capitol (I wandered a bit eastward, thinking if I pop huts without a city I might pop a settler... but I guess that is only on the even lower difficulty levels).:stupid:

Anyhow, I went to Keshiks and started taking care of business. Going ok at this point - got some nice Persian cities making up for lack of own expansion (only built one settler). Due to slower start, I will try for either culture or space, since dom/conq awards will go to much smarter and better players than myself.

3. Minou

Minou Chieftain

Playing for a quick Domination, which should go nicely with Creative and the Always War setting. I have been keeping every city I capture, planning to mostly wipe out the AIs and then try to hold the finances together until border pops give me that 64%.

Built a Worker first (not sure if that was a great idea in Always War but I am under the impression the AI won’t attack cities for the first two dozen turns at least) and popped the nearby huts. I think I managed to get three that were not shown in the announcement thread preview, but had one of the originals stolen. Almost all of them were gold, plus one map and one tech (unfortunately Mysticism). I think I netted 300 gold, so no real complaints.

My first Warrior walked down to GK’s capital hoping to steal a Worker and I was surprised when an Archer attacked out of the city. Miraculously, I won the battle. This left only a Warrior guarding the capital, but I was unable to take advantage even though two more Warriors were en route, as another Archer appeared before they could arrive. I left the troops fortified on forest hills to keep GK from expanding.

Teched HBR in 1520BC, paid to upgrade my two Chariots to Keshiks, built 2 more, and rode west. The Persian capital fell in 1320BC but their second city had Spears so I redirected south. GK only had one city due to my siege, and was wiped out in 975BC.

Mao looked tougher to crack, but he foolishly marched a Spear and Ax out of his capital, allowing me to capture both his cities in 875BC and 825BC and thus wipe those units for free. After discovering Math in 550BC the conquest and hut gold pile was running low and I turned off research (still losing 15-20gpt at 0%). Persia was wiped out in 325BC, and their final city had the Pyramids. I captured 3-4 barb cities too around this time. India followed in 275BC, squarely putting up the least resistance. It would be easy to overrun the last AIs, but playing for Domination I now need to pause to recover the economy (in fact should have done so a few turns earlier).

At 1AD I am in cash crisis mode, with units about to go on Strike even after deleting a bunch of backline Warriors. I have 15 cities and about 25% of the land. I have Stonehenge built to within a few turns in two cities and am keeping my fingers crossed that the one AI I have not attacked will build it soon. Once Stonehenge finishes or I am forced to finish it myself, I should have enough gold to tech Currency which will allow me to break even again. Tons of cottages are up, and I am planning to basically plop cities down in the most logical pattern as I become able to afford them, and let Creative culture win the game.

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Can't remember exactly where I was at 1AD. Settled in place - on higher levels I probably would have settled on hill. Really crap land and slow start so took a while to get Keshik train rolling. Most AIs were rather docile, but Freddie was surprisingly nasty with what later appeared to be pretty good land in and area that is usually the worst on a Great Plains map. He was send the most units my way and threatening my horse gems city, but I was able to hold him off. Persia was a bit of a pain as he expanded fast and had metals ..even killed one of my first Keshiks trying to pillage his copper (ha ..he had another one down south anyway), but he never threatened me much and I took him out.

Mainly Keshiks, but settled the crap ivory city 3rd to get Jumbos as well. Glad I did with Fred spamming HAs like crazy...man, he had HAs early for noble. Took out Egypt entirely first, then China, who had like two cities as I chocked him and his copper tile with a warrior for a long time.

India and Russia somewhere W going about there business and not sending units.

Body of water to the north is definitely unusual for Great Plains, but otherwise the map looks mostly normal.

I may go for Space here just to do something different..use a little trick to keep one AI alive and neutered while I go about my business. Certainly won't be setting any records.

5. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I settled 1E in the hope for more food but no such luck. I popped quite some huts, especially as I got a lot of scouts from them, I think I had 5 of them at some point. Also some gold and tech, but nothing major. At 1AD the other Khan and Cyrus are dead. China shouldn't be a major problem either. Fred is also strongest in my game and send some stacks to former Persian cities, but all still quite manageable. I Oracled CS, got the mids underway. 10 cities and 57 pop, also looking at space.