[Vanilla] GOTM 134: Final spolier - game finished

neilmeister

Lentils have feelings too
GOTM Staff
Sorry for the late spoilers.... totally forgot.

Did you win?
Did you find Vanilla is actually harder than BtS?

So, I started cranking out Maces with mostly CR promotions only to face nearly continuous invasions. Huayna, Napoleon, and Montezuma all came for me at some point. Fighting them off largely exhausted my tech lead. I was too small and the others caught and passed me. It wasn't till Rifles that I was able to make serious progress on offense. I got my revenge on Huayna, but now Germany had emerged as superpower. Way higher power rating than me and a big tech lead as well.

I kept fighting through the Industrial period and slowly took out France. I had massed troops to attack the Aztecs from both sides when I realized it was basically futile. Germany and America were well along in the Space Race. I had just reached 32% of the land area, and getting another 32% was going to take hours and hours of play. Since it wasn't likely I could even win by doing that, I retired in 1971.

I seem to be having similar problems in my BTS games since my long hiatus from Civ4. Lost my edge, such as it was. So, it's not so much that I forgot how to play Vanilla, it's that I forgot how to play Civ4 in general. :cry::blush:

Really appreciated another Civ IV GOTM.

This one was made challenging initially by the lack of resources and good city sites and difficulty growing and expanding cities. Remaining solvent became a constant challenge as the game progressed, even with Financial, so research was painfully slow, requiring some extortion. (Presume the evil map-maker intended all that.)

Otherwise, it was a pretty standard single-continent catapult-facilitated Conquest game (the extensive ice fields confounded Domination), slowed a bit (finished in 1400 AD) by lack of naval transport and inability to tech to Engineering and gain faster highway speed.

Hope this is not the last IV.

CP

Top Bottom