Game of the Month 139: November 2012

Game Settings:
Civilization: Aztec
Difficulty: Chietain, Respawn on
Map: special 250 x 40, Flat
Victory: Spaceship or Conquest
Techs:None
Deadline: February 1st.

This time a normal game at the lowest level. Have fun.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please sent the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Edit: I have just created the page. And added the savelink in this post.

Starting save is here.

Last edited:
It is not. The first link, on this page, works correctly and brings up a new page. The link on that page is the faulty one which gives "page not found".

Map analysis reveals next to nothing due to the abundance of grass and the lack of any visible huts or visible specials at the starting location.

We have 50g starting money. Having never played at this level I am not sure if this is common or a special gift from magic.

Other than one extra content citizen in every city and dumber AI, is there anything else to expect at this lowest of all levels?

We have 50g starting money. Having never played at this level I am not sure if this is common or a special gift from magic.

I'm almost certain that it is normal.

is there anything else to expect at this lowest of all levels?

There is no penalty for switching production and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't let you disband cities. Successful negotiations may give you an embassy with the other player. I think (not positive) that there is no tech hiding at this level as well.

According to the index, GOTM 87 (and 98) was played at Chieftain, so maybe check the spoiler.

I haven't played any gotms in a while so I have a question: where can I find the submission guidelines mentioned in the topic?

One more thing I didn't see there: is this MGE or 2.42 classic? Does it make a difference to whoever is going to load those saves and check the results?

The Game of the Month can be played with Classic or MGE; it's in the rules. When I checked the results for GOTM 136, I used MGE to check all the submissions.

I'm almost certain that it is normal.
I just tested this and indeed you are right. At this level one starts with 50g.
There is no penalty for switching production and I'm pretty sure the game doesn't let you disband cities.
Correct again. If you reach 40 shields in a city of size 1 producing a settler, the production box simply overfills till you reach size 2. This is of course a disadvantage.
Successful negotiations may give you an embassy with the other player. I think (not positive) that there is no tech hiding at this level as well.
Indeed there is no tech hiding. However, in a simulated game I met a rival and reached peace but got no embassy.

I believe an embassy is automatically established after negotiations when their attitude toward you is below 50. Usually civs with receptive or neutral attitude (not sure which one corresponds to a lower value but I think receptive) didn't exchange ambassadors with me, but anything around cordial and further down guaranteed an exchange.

You're right about the disadvantage of overfilling the production box. Luckily its still possible to starve cities naturally by foresting the city square and removing all other workers.

I believe an embassy is automatically established after negotiations when their attitude toward you is below 50. Usually civs with receptive or neutral attitude (not sure which one corresponds to a lower value but I think receptive) didn't exchange ambassadors with me, but anything around cordial and further down guaranteed an exchange.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think both civs also need to know the secret of writing to establish an embassy.

hi

are any other gotms still open for submission?
also any good guides on how to do a fast spaceship ?

i just decided to play some civ2 for fun i am not that good so i wont threaten anyone s trophy ;-)

i juts forgot most about this game (most notablytech tree and wonders)

i gues the general strategy is rex, get democracy and republic, spam wonders with caravans and also trade

Welcome to GOTM forums

are any other gotms still open for submission?
Typically we have only two open: one is winding down, the other getting started. The fact that both 138 and 139 have the same deadline is an oddity.

also any good guides on how to do a fast spaceship ?
The forum is loaded with info on anything and everything about Civ2. For starters, look up "Tips and Tricks for new players"
i just decided to play some civ2 for fun i am not that good so i wont threaten anyone s trophy ;-)
We love a challenge and we welcome new players. If you stick with it, before long you get good enough to get your own trophies.

i gues the general strategy is rex, get democracy and republic, spam wonders with caravans and also trade
There is no one startegy. People have their preferences and sometimes other conditions (like the map) make some strategies more powerful than others.
is militaery victory evebn possible? I always face the issues of endless respawns, how do you work arounf this?
It certainly is possible. There are ways to deal with respawns but they are one of the bigger challenges of an early conquest strategy.

Congrats Nicol.Bolas and Blasph23. Are these your first submissions? It is rare that highest score gets the gold; congrats haleewud.

Magic, glad to see you could play this one even though OCC. It seems to me that red and green are switched in the results. I should be green and you red.

Top Bottom