1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 152 Egypt Regent Space - 1st Spoiler - End of ancient times

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by templar_x, Aug 12, 2016.

1. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

This thread is for your reports of events and progress in the GOTM 152 Egypt Regent game up to the date where you are able to research a Medieval tech.

Do not read or post in this thread until you meet this condition. You may reveal Medieval bonus techs from the end of the last Ancient turn and discuss your plans for continuing the game.

Please do not post information here relating to later dates, and please only post maps of your home area and no minimaps.

Did you face problems with your not so generous starting location, while AIs were located relatively close? Or was it after all still only Regent and initial difficulties could be overcome easily?

2. Nata

Nata Warlord

Been a while I played this game!
    This one was a nice easy starting point, except starting without a food bonus. I moved 1N to settle a capital, so yeah, no bonus there. I thought it would make for an interesting challenge, and I also saw the game in the S which I'd gotten if settled in place!

So instead I got slow expansion, building 4-5 warriors and exploring the whole continent quickly, then settler, then barracks and more warriors. Built RCP3 and RCP7. First two RCP3 cities with food bonuses built granaries. I even built some temples in outside cities, to claim good land.

Took me a while to get settlers and workers out with regularity. Also took a while to hook Iron. I also forgot some basics about tech trading and spent about 15 turns, I think, researching MM. And then AI got it. Damn. Should have gone for Republic or Lit instead... But I was eager to get off the continent and meet more folks for trading and cash, to upgrade all my warriors.

Those lost turns made me reach MA late, at about 500BC. Was in Republic, had all contacts but one by that time. I was all set up to attack Persia, with swords and war chariots to start GA. Persia and Greece both drew Mono.

3. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

I moved the settler N as well, sharing with fellow GotMers the hope for food bonuses and the disappointment that came immediately after. Then i said to myself: it's Regent, a pair of turns of wandering shouldn't matter much, should it? And so, next turn i moved the settler again. And again, and again, and again, and again :D No kidding, i ended up settling Nx3-NEx3 from the spot, only 3 tiles away from the Persian capital which, in due time, will become an excellent RCP4 city of mine. Sorry Jerksees (actually, i'm not).

What about the worker? After having diligently followed the settler in its nomadic spree, the guy was sent venturing again toward the nearby hills to pop a hut. Four worker turns used, but the reward was Pottery. Research was set to Alphabet at max, and went toward the usual route. (NB: i could fish Pottery because i had set Thebes at zero research in Warrior Code).

The initial build order was warrior x 4 -> granary -> settler. The first two warriors were sent exploring, the other two were parked in Thebes, in order to deter Jerksees from getting rid of its annoying neighbour. Contact was made as soon as Persepolis expanded, and i could trade for Bronze Working. The Greeks were met a few turns after, and i could buy a half-researched Alphabet, plus Warrior Code.

Now i had all the necessary knowledge to mount a military expedition against Persepolis, but a minimal core had to be built first. City 2 was founded to the west, to take advantage of the wheat and also to connect gems. City 3 and 4 had to be founded to the east, to hook up silks. But then, a Greek city appeared right in the middle of these two spots, far away from Athens and only 4 tiles away from my capital! There was no hut there, so it wasn't a popped city. The only things that justifies such an aggressive settling strategy by Alex was a yet to be discovered resource. However, that nasty settlement didn't deter me from settling there anyway, defending the towns with MPs and building temples as soon as possible to squeeze that bugger out.

A temple had to be built in city 2 as well, in order to not be squeezed by Persepolis reaching cultural rank 3. Later on, when it was time to settle southward, i faced once again a Greek intruder. That one was even stranger: a town founded 4 tiles away from my capital and 11 tiles away from their capital, with half of their core area still unsettled! Once again, one had to wonder what lies hidden beneath that area to justify an otherwise absurd settling strategy. The future will tell, i suppose. Anyway, temples were built there too, and at the end i found myself in the unusual situation of having all my core cities (minus the capital) with a temple built before anything else.

On the research front, the Romans were my best science partners among the AS, having provided Iron Working and Map Making. But the best science partners at all were actually the Barbarians: besides Pottery, huts provided Mysticism, Philosophy (a nice nitro boost for Republic), Horse Riding and... the best part is yet to come :D On a side note, traded maps suggested the north coast as a possible way to reach foreign lands without a suicide path.

By 1250 BC i had assembled a force of one spear plus five archers and taken over Persepolis. After healing, my first thought was to take over Pasargadae as well, in the middle of an outrageous food bonanza, and leave Persia OCC in Susa, in the northeast. But then, i figured out that Susa could have been a better asset, because it was already connected with a road and could have open the way to settle in the NE coast, hook up dyes and speedbuild a galley with the help of some woodchopping. That's why i signed peace as soon as possible, extorting Susa in the process, and sent a newly created settler up there.

Immediately after peace, i signed a RoP with Jerksees in order to build a road connecting the new Persian capital with my lands. The idea was to be able to sell resources to Persia when it was time to trade for the scientific freebies, a precaution that turned out to be redundant. This was actually one of the few times i used a RoP constructively, i.e. not for RoP rape.

The QSC mark was met with the following stats:
    8 towns, 19 pop units;
    army: 10 warriors, 3 archers, 1 spear, 1 horse, 5 workers, 3 slaves
    145 quids, -5 gpt, Republic in 2 turns
    3 temples, 1 barracks, 1 granary
    missing Math, Const, Currency, Poly and the govt techs
    known all the AS in the homeland, none oversea

Another help from Rome came in the form of Mathematics, in the sense that they sped up the research for the Greeks who, unlike the Romans, were missing Code of Laws. So i could arrange an even trade in 975 BC, and open the way for 2 of the final mandatory AA techs. Next turn, Republic was researched and established. At that point, the game suggested Construction. Whereas i usually research Construction at this point, the game suggesting it was a hint that, maybe, some AS could have been researching it as well, and so i went for Currency instead.

Meanwhile, the town on the NE cost had been founded and the first galley had been sent on its journey, with a unit onboard. One turn before completing Currency, i was in front of an island hut. I waited one turn, to complete research, and the game suggested again Construction. I choosed Literature instead, stepped on the hut, and fished Polytheism! At that point, i decided to stick with Literature, it was needed anyway and, by that time, some damn AS should have been almost done with Construction, right? The answer is: we'll never know, because after two turns i stumbled upon another island hut and fished Construction as well :D What a way to reach the MA :D

In the very same turn (610 BC) i finally made contact with a tribe oversea. Thanks to my research advantage, i could buy all the contacts, all the maps and rake in all the money. Then, i turned my attention to the homeland: Greece and Persia were sold / gifted into the MA as well, and they got Monotheism and Feudalism. With Republic still a monopoly, i could buy both of them by forking out only a small amount of cash. Then all the AS, except for one which is horribly backwards, were sold/gifted to parity.

On a side note, what happened to the two Greek intruder settlements? The first one, after being squeezed to a 2x2 square, defected in despair during the late AA. The second one is still there, although quite under pressure, but will be probably dealt with by military means.

The last thing to mention is the Golden Age. The capital is surrounded by bonus grassland tiles, so it's a true production powerhouse. At the beginning of the Middle Ages, i'm 13 turns away from completing the Pyramids by bare hands. I'm going to start the GA with it rather than anticipating it via a WC, but in the unlikely case someone beats me into it, a WC victory will provide the backup plan.

Here are some logs:

Techs:

4000bc: Ceremonial Burial, Masonry (prerequisites);
    3650bc: Pottery (hut);
    3450bc: Bronze Working (trade, Persia);
    3100bc: Alphabet, War Code (trade, Greece);
    2470bc: Wheel (trade, Persia);
    2390bc: Mysticism (hut);
    2150bc: Iron Working (trade, Rome);
    2070bc: Writing (research);
    1830bc: Philosophy (hut);
    1700bc: Horse Riding (hut);
    1525bc: Code of Laws (research);
    1275bc: Map Making (trade, Rome);
    _975bc: Mathematics (trade, Greece);
    _950bc: Republic (research);
    _670bc: Currency (research); Polytheism (hut);
    _610bc: Construction (hut);
    _610bc: Monotheism (trade, Greece); Feudalism (trade, Persia);

Cities up to QSC:

3700bc: Thebes
    2230bc: Memphis (gems)
    1870bc: Heliopolis (silks)
    1300bc: Elephantine
    1250bc: Persepolis (captured);

1175bc: Alexandria
    1100bc: Susa (extorted);
    1025bc: Pi-Ramesses

Meetings:

3450bc: Persia
    3100bc: Greece
    2230bc: Rome
    _610bc: France, England, India, Arabia;

And a shot of my empire in 1000 BC:

Attached Files:

4. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Guys, that Game was visible in the fog even for me. What did you wander off for?

5. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

In order to make use of the BG in the starting location, without losing the
    Game, I moved the Settler SE and founded Thebes there and set up a six-turn
    Settler factory working the Silk Forest tile 2/3 of the time. I placed the
    cities at RCP3, then at either RCP6 around the capital or RCP5 around the
    planned FP three tiles inland from Thebes.

3950 BC Found Thebes
    2850 BC Connect Silks
    2710 BC Found Memphis
    2310 BC Found Heliopolis
    2110 BC Found Elephantine
    1870 BC Found Alexandria​

Pretty soon I met the two scientific tribes in the game, and they were close by.
    My luck with Huts was very limited; apparently, I sent far too few Warriors out
    on recce. As ususal, I concentraded on city development. I sort of forgot this
    was Regent level. At least I could buy some Slaves.

2470 BC Meet Persia
    2350 BC Pop Hut 25 gold
    2350 BC Meet Greece
    2110 BC Buy Slave
    1950 BC Buy Slave
    1830 BC Pop Hut Maps​

In the mean time, my core researched its way towards The Republic with a little
    transgression over Polytheism, which I chose while waiting for an opportunity to
    trade for Alphabet. I got some help from Persia and Greece.

4000 BC Discover Masonry
    4000 BC Discover Ceremonial Burial
    3450 BC Discover Pottery
    2750 BC Discover The Wheel
    2470 BC Discover Mysticism
    2470 BC Learn Warrior Code
    2350 BC Learn Bronze Working
    2350 BC Learn Alphabet
    1950 BC Learn Iron Working
    1870 BC Discover Polytheism
    1650 BC Discover Writing
    1650 BC Learn Horseback Riding​

I sent a Settler up into the Persian core to settle a city by the Horses. It was
    guarded by an Archer and all went fine. This city not only provided me with
    Horses, but also gave me military access to the Persian Capital. Soon I met Rome
    and set up Republic as I reached the Quick Start Challenge mark.

1600 BC Found Pi-Ramesses By Horses
    1475 BC Found Giza
    1425 BC Connect Horses
    1325 BC Found Byblos
    1225 BC Found El-Amarna
    1075 BC Found Hieraconpolis​

1500 BC Meet Rome
    1200 BC Buy Slave
    1025 BC Establish Anarchy
    1000 BC Establish Republic​

1525 BC Discover Philosophy
    1350 BC Discover Code of Laws
    1250 BC Learn Literature
    1225 BC Learn Map Making
    1000 BC Discover The Republic​

The first Persian War started in 950 BC with the capture of Persepolis. The goal
    was to clear the Persians from the good lands directly to the north of the first
    core, which would make a perfect site for a second core. Persia was reduced to
    two cities on the western coastline.

_950 BC Capture Persepolis
    _900 BC Found Abydos
    _825 BC Capture Gordium​

Self research led Egypt into the Middle Ages in 690 BC. I could research
    Currency and Construction in four and five turns, respectively. Persia and
    Greece both got Feudalism. No problems to trade.

_975 BC Pop Hut Barbarians
    _950 BC War Persia
    _825 BC Peace Persia
    _690 BC Enter Middle Ages​

_900 BC Discover Mathematics
    _800 BC Discover Currency
    _690 BC Discover Construction
    _690 BC Learn Feudalism​

The Romans are next in line. They shall be eradicated while producing Elite
    Horsemen and hopefully a Leader for the Palace Jump.

6. hth

hth Warlord

Probably you have a big & brighty matrix. On my puny laptop I have seen it only after scaling at 400% and 70% brightning:

PS Even this whity tail required some optic boost :scan:

Attached Files: