[PTW] GOTM 158 Greece Deity - 1st Spoiler - End of ancient times

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
This thread is for your reports of events and progress in the GOTM 158 Greece Deity game up to the date where you are able to research a Medieval tech.

Do not read or post in this thread until you meet this condition. You may reveal Medieval bonus techs from the end of the last Ancient turn and discuss your plans for continuing the game.

Please do not post information here relating to later dates, and please only post maps of your home area and no mini-maps.

What did the Goody Huts do to you?

I moved the settler around and abandoned the hoplite in the newly found city and then popped all of the huts with my worker starting a turn later. I got two abandoned villages, and did NOT get an extra worker. I hit F10 on the first turn and saw the seemingly stocked opponents list with all scientific opponents except for Japan and noticing the starting techs seemed maximally different. I could tell by the end of the ancient age though that the tribes on our continent wouldn't do much with very few cities and small ones at that, so I suspected the other continent must really have something to it.

It's Deity, so you don't muck around with a great starting position.
Settled in place, huts brought Pottery, a Warrior, and a couple of maps, plus some were deserted. Kinda underwhelming. :) But still very useful as I could build Granary and start exploring right away.

The capital was going to be a 4-turn Settler/Warrior factory - took a while to get there though because of Barbs. I had to build an occasional extra Hoplite or miss a turn because of Barbs stepping on my tiles.

Built cities in RCP3 and RCP6. Tried the same trick as in previous game with the 2nd city on the coast, i.e. started prebuilding GLH. But of course it being Deity someone beat me to it - luckily it was Persia. Plus everyone cascaded to some wonder, so I had to switch to Harbour with some moderate loss of shields. Will never do it again on high levels.

I played only a few Deity games before and always won by Diplomacy, if ever. So this time I aimed for Diplomacy as well. Research was Writing->Phil->CoL-> Republic (40 turns at min science). Meanwhile discovered the choke point blocked by Ottomans and met other neighbours via Writing.
They were slow to research, and were fighting each other, and I was able to trade to parity. I remember it took me a lot of money, plus per-turn-money, to buy MM from Persia, but mostly I was able to trade on good conditions.

Meanwhile, Persia didn't do anything with GLH and it became increasingly obvious that I would use GLH much better. And so I started a war - but with Ottomans first as they were weakened by Germany war. It went better than I thought - I used Galleys to ship Swords around the choke point and attacked both north and south of it. It was a slow affair but Ottos were off the continent. Then Persia attacked me, which was good as I was scared to attack them. Persia settled both North and South of central Ottos, so I used both my north and south armies to purge them from the continent.

GLH was taken at around 100BC, my Galleys were ready and soon I had all the contacts. I got Republic not long before that, drew 7 turns both ways and was in the middle of the war when my Hoplite wast attacked and started GA with 5 turns of Despotism remaining... Annoying, but not that bad.
By the time I reached the other Civs I was in Republic and had GA proper. Amazingly they were not yet in MA - but they had Literature which was great as I could use GA to build Libraries.

At 10BC traded all the ways to parity and got all the starting MA techs from the numerous scientific civs.

Started on Theology in GA, hoping to use GA to research even faster when all Libs will come online. Looking good, but again - it's surprising how slow research was in this game, for all the Civs.

Attached is 10BC snapshot.

Attachments

• gotm158_greece_10bc.jpg
    gotm158_greece_10bc.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 144
It's Deity, so you don't muck around with a great starting position.

That's kind of interesting. With rails the irrigated grassland cow can generate 2 less than 6 food per turn, or 4 extra food per turn, the irrigated brown cow can generate 3 extra food per turn, and then 3 plains can each generate 3 extra food per turn. So, if corruption in the capital doesn't get substantially worse, which I don't know how the mechanics work in PTW, at size 5 you can generate 10 extra food per turn, while producing 1 shield from the city center, 1 from the grassland cow, 2 from the plains cow, 3 from the plains, for 7 shields per turn. With a mined and railroaded plains square that makes for 10 shields every turn after growth, enabling a 1 turn worker pump once rails get online from size 5 to 6.

The northern site that I chose for Athens also could produce a worker every turn after rails also, though with an irrigated bonus grassland, it can produce 4 food per turn, so you would have had 9 extra food per turn at size 3, and thus 10 extra food per turn at size 4 without a rail with another irrigated bonus grassland. 1 shield from the city center, 1 from the grassland cow, 2 from the plains cow, 2 from the bonus grasslands makes for 6 shields per turn. With a mined and railroaded hill, that would make for a 1 turn worker pump at size 4.

A possible upshot of the slightly smaller 1 turn worker pump for Athens might be a faster and more productive builds on and from factories/coal plants in another city site with tight enough of a build.

Last edited:
With rails the irrigated grassland cow can generate 2 less than 6 food per turn, or 4 extra food per turn, the irrigated brown cow can generate 3 extra food per turn, and then 3 plains can each generate 3 extra food per turn.
It's important to expand quickly before 1000BC, so 4-turn Settler factory is a must on Deity, and here right in place it was 4-turn Warrior-Settler, which was great.

I didn't have a 4 turn settler factory for my first three or four settlers, I think. It took me a while for me to trade for Pottery. I did use other settlers also to help put out settlers.

Similar start as Nata's: got Pottery, a Warrior and maps from the huts, started Granary on turn 0 and eventually got the 4-turn Warrior/Settler-combo, which was incredibly powerful here.
A few differences: I did Literature after Writing to get some cheap Libraries early and that way speed up Philo, CoL and Republic. And I went RCP4 instead of RCP3, so that the city in the W was coastal and the city to the NW had access to the grassland wheat.

Top Bottom