[PTW] GOTM 162 - Korea Regent Diplomatic - Spoiler

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
This is the thread where you tell us how you did - win, lose or retire.

Only read or post in this thread when your game is ended and successfully submitted.

I settled Seoul in place and built a granary right away, then a settler for city 2. Cities were placed at RCP 3, with a pair of exceptions at RCP 4. The future FP city was built Nx3 of the capital, with the idea of moving the capital somewhere else in the future.

Research went for Pottery at max, followed by Writing at min... bad idea, but when i realized i was on an island the damage was already done. However, i could still make contacts oversea by placing warriors on strategic locations: they had enough sight on the coast oversea to spot the Ottomans and the Chinese without the help of boats.

Low food and just one luxury on the mainland, not exactly the recipe for a fast game. Realizing that expansion would have been slow and military campaigns wouldn't have come until the late BC, i built granaries and libraries in the core city to, somehow, offset the penalty.

The 1000 BC mark was met with the following stats:
7 towns, 16 pop units;
army: 1 spear, 13 warriors, 8 workers;
3 granaries, 2 libraries, 1 barracks;
knowledge of 4 AS;
326 quids, -6 gpt, Republic in 13
missing: Poly, Const, Curr and the gov't techs;

I got Republic in 730 BC, drew 3 turns of anarchy and did not reroll. I could trade for Polytheism but i had to research both Construction and Currency. The Middle Ages were finally reached in 390 BC. My bonus tech was Engineering. I gifted the Ottomans to the MA but they got the same tech as mine. However, next turn my suicide fleet finally made contacts oversea and, by trading and gifting, i could get Feudalism from Russia.

It was time for planning: how to get to the Golden Age and, more importantly, who would survive and who wouldn't.

For the Golden Age, i was already building the Great Lighthouse, but i decided against building the Great Library as well, because the extra shields would have barely made up for the amount spent on the GLib. Therefore, i opted to bet on its later capture: at that point, any wonder would trigger the GA and the only think i needed was a bit of luck with leaders. The downside was that if someone abroad would have built it, i could as well go for Newton's.

About the territory grab, my first idea was to take over everything in the near continent, plus France in the far one, but then something went on my way: the two one-tile island, each one with a resource! Please, PLEASE put some attention in getting rid of those things, they can screw up someone's game unless we're playing the Vikings. I could deny colonization on the one near the Chinese coast by putting a warrior on it, but i couldn't reach the other one in time and the Mongols snatched a settlement on it. So, i had to change plan: a useless Mongolia would survive along with Russia, and the rest of the AS would go.

I went for the Ottomans first, not before gifting them a town as their future OCC. I netted two more luxuries, then waited to capture Istanbul until they completed the Great Library (which they did in 310 AD, phew). Then i went for China. In the meantime, i realized that all the AS had completely overlooked the Colossus! So i took my chance to build it, in order to trigger the Golden Age. The Colossus was complete in 420 AD and my Golden Age could begin. A second leader was used to relocate the capital in Beijing, at the center of an already formed RCP 5. A few turns later, a third leader let me build Sun Tzu in the main continent - free barracks where they were most needed.

After China, i went for America and France at the same time. Last real target was Japan, which was taken over in the early Industrials. Finally, i picked what was left of the Ottomans and then i slowly coasted to the Domination limit, which i had to be careful not to cross. Other stuff, build with leaders, were Newton's, Smith's and Hoover Dam. Copernicus, Magellan and Evolution were all built by hand.

On the research part, i didn't have good picks with the freebies in any of the epochs. Plus, the AS really sucked at research. I only could get Invention and Gunpowder in the Medieval and absolutely nothing, not even Replaceable Parts, in the Industrials. Given that a fast conclusion wasn't in order, i also drifted away from the compulsory part and researched both Economics (to spend the leader on Smith's) and Sanitation (to build hospitals). Although i could sustain 4-turns research from the late medievals on, the date wasn't anything special. I ended up with a Diplomatic victory in 1385 AD, with a Jason score barely above the 9K mark. Once again, crappy playing or cramped score? The scoreboard will tell.

Please, PLEASE put some attention in getting rid of those things, they can screw up someone's game unless we're playing the Vikings.

You are right, of course, and I am sorry. Perhaps you would consider showing us how to do it right and design a game for us?

You are right, of course, and I am sorry. Perhaps you would consider showing us how to do it right and design a game for us?

Actually, when i logged in i was about to PM you to volunteer for designing a few games, not to "show you how to do it right" (if i was in need to feed my ego that way, i would be having far worse issues to be concerned about) but because i think that after so many games played it's time for me to contribute.

Please note that if the one-tile island has a resource on it, the AS will hardly, if ever, be willing to give it away, even if it's the only town left besides the capital.

Please note that if the one-tile island has a resource on it, the AS will hardly, if ever, be willing to give it away, even if it's the only town left besides the capital.

The thing is, I forgot to even check if there were any one-tile islands.

I concentrated everything on research, only in ~300AD I led my only war against China (and didn't even manage to eliminate them completely: I underestimated the time the game would need till finish, so the 20 turn peace deal (which was necessary to get one of the 1-tile islands...) expired only 1 turn before the end of the game, and I was not able to take their final town.) No MGL, so I hand-built the FP on my own continent to speed up research. In the end, everything fit perfectly together: the palace prebuild finished the same turn as the last IA tech, and the Russians got Fission. (I had prepared to take 4 mined mountains offline and sell the factory, if necessary, in order to slow it down a few turns, in case none of the three scientifics got Fission.)
UN victory in 1160AD with two counter votes: France voted for themselves, and China of course didn't like me, so they voted for France... Even though at that time France and China had not even met yet! (Don't know, what was wrong in this game, but right up to the end of the game, the two continents did not make contact!! :eek:)

BTW: is it possible in PtW to get into the F4 screen without my scientific freebee? I don't know what I did wrong, but during era change I always already had me freebee, before I could trade with the other two?! :confused: Nevertheless I was always lucky that they got different techs from mine. :whew:

In PTW it is not possible to trade after entering the next age but before getting your free tech. This is a Conquests-only sneaky thing to do.

As if in a dream, the birth of our empire was a glorious gift from the gods, our birthright, to rule this world by ourselves. We yearned to know all things and and our scholars made knowledge the only goal. Of course we were disappointed to find that are warriors would have nothing to do other than eliminating the barbarians who felt they had some claim to our glorious world. Imagine our disappointment to find that we were not the only inhabitants of this world. At least, we thought, the like minded Chinese were close to us and would be friends until all others succumbed to our power. We traveled the world before all others and attempted to win their friendship , but they refused to acknowledge that the gods had chosen us to lead the world.

We tried to be peace loving, but other cultures did not respect us and made demands but refused to pay tribute to our superiority. Such offense could not be tolerated and when the Chinese betrayed us by also refusing to pay tribute and attacking the lesser nations that were our trading partners, it was decided they must go. Our allies the Ottomans turned out to be worthless, even after we gifted them the knowledge of all Medieval Age and most modern age techs, they still fell. Our scientists learned the secrets of limited "righteous fire" just before our war started. We sought new allies and the rest of the world joined us in our purge of the betrayers. Only then did we use our righteous fire to cleanse the Chinese from our lands. It took some time but our destiny prevailed and once again the world was at peace. Though the French and Russians had manged to somehow take a couple of Chinese cities around the edge of the continent and offshore to the East. We would tolerate them for now.

The French began a conquest of the Japanese, though we cared nothing for the Japanese, the growth and advancement of the French was unsettling.

We believed that we could get all others to acknowledge our purity and destiny, so we made every effort to become the natural choice of all others. But again we were betrayed by the others who would not trade fairly and exchanged advanced ideas among themselves but not with us. We had but two minor tribes we thought would always acknowledge our destiny, the Mongols and the Americans who we had saved from the betrayal of the Chinese. We returned some of their cities to them and our scientists searched out new knowledge as quickly as we could. But they were never able to contribute any knowledge to us. Still we let them benefit from our magnificence. Because of the unwillingness of the French and Russians to share knowledge we made slower progress than they and then the French had the boldness to complete some false idol of peace and prosperity called the "United Nations" one turn before we were to complete the same wonder, but to be called instead the "One Great Leader acknowledged by Heaven" monument.

This could not stand and so we settled one city in former Japanese lands and grew an army that we thought would dwarf all others. Our scientists perfected the secrets of long distance "righteous fire" and we prepared to become the acknowledged leader of all. We beguiled the French into thinking we would be peaceful and our armies rested near their city of Dijon where the UN was. The French were very strong and the Russians were almost as strong. They had a mutual protection pact and were determined to deny us our rightful place as leader of the world! We would need to say whatever they wanted to hear until the time was right, but time was nearing an end. We signed mutual protection pacts with the Americans and Mongols and declared war on Russia. This was when perhaps the worst betrayal came. The Mongols must have come under the spell of the UN and refused to declare war on the Russians. Despite our offered gifts of many technologies, large sums of gold, and the years we had nurtured and protected them they refused our desires, to join with us. Because of the French and Russian strength it was necessary to unleash the "righteous fire" on them. The dirty Mongols declared war on us, no doubt seduced by some sympathy for the unworthy. Now we could not use the UN to rule the world until the odds were in our favor, if ever. So we vowed to make the Mongols nothing but a memory.

The first step was capturing Dijon, and the UN was ours. But it was a weapon we could not use on our enemies until the voting could be correctly manipulated. Our enemies unleashed their nuclear weapons on us, targeting our Forbidden Palace city of Istanbul 6 times in the same year. Our war continued, then the Russians betrayed their friends and the French suffered. We suffered just a few annoying pinpricks from their nukes. Neither would acknowledge our superiority, we kept very few captured cities. We burned most and used the unworthy slaves that were produced by their destruction to cleanse the captured lands of the remains of "righteous fire". Many would die. We did not care. The Mongols were wiped from the face of the earth and we allowed the Americans to settle most of the former Mongol lands. Soon it became clear that Americans would also betray us and refuse to acknowledge our supreme leader. The UN was cast aside as being useless to us. The Russians and then French were also wiped from the earth. Then in one year we burnt every American city until only blessed Korea was left.

All the remaining peoples of the earth declared our "Dear Leader" as being the rightful ruler of all. We did not need the false god of the UN to rule the world.
We had but one regret. As glorious as we are we should have followed this destiny from the start of time instead of wasting effort trying to get all others to acknowledge our superiority. ( "kim..., kim.., KIM,, KIM, wake up, WAKE UP!)

Top Bottom