1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 167 World War 1

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Ali Ardavan, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

About a year ago, and to commemorate the start of World War 1 a century ago, we played the Kaiser scenario by Curt Sibling. This month we play another such scenario this one by Jim Panse:

http://sleague.civfanatics.com/index.php/World_War_One_v2.0

Warning: this scenario works with Mutliplayer Gold Edition of Civ2 and not with the classic (not sure about TOT).

Like Kaiser, this is a very elaborate scenario. A lot of game entities have been changed. There are changes to units, structures, technologies, wonders, graphics, and even terrain types. There will be quite a bit of learning to do at the outset. There is a Civilopedia entry for almost all the changes. Feel free to look around extensively and even play a few turns aimlessly to get the feel of it. You may even want to start as various nations and do so.

Last Summer Inkerman and I spent a lot of time figuring out all the details about the Kaiser scenario. In retrospect, most of that was of marginal value at best. The Kaiser scenario, and I am guessing this one as well, is a war game. Terrain improvements, infrastructure, and wonders do not play a major role. Technology is important but only the ones immediately available for research matter. Units is where you should spend most of your learning time.

Feel free to go beyond the civilopedia, and read Rules.txt, Events.txt, and the ReadMe file.

To compensate for this and the late start, the deadline is longer than usual.

We will be playing the protagonist, Germans, at the highest level of difficulty.

The game shall be played till decisive victory or when the scenario ends whichever comes sooner. Submissions should be the last turn you play and also the turn at which you gain marginal victory.

Awards: Gold, silver, and bronze medals go to those who achieve decisive victory fastest or are closest to decisive victory on their last save. For example, if there are 5 submissions and only two achieve decisive victory, the bronze goes to the one among the three who was closest to decisive victory on their final turn. Green star goes to the player who achieves marginal victory first. Blue star goes to the player with the most objectives at their final turn. In the case of a tie in any of the above, the player with more cities wins.

Deadline: Sep 29th, 2015.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

You can download the game here.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

2. Ali Ardavan

I spent a few hours play testing this thing today and here are some useful things I discovered:
    All cities (but one) are objectives
    Wonders do not seem to be additional objectives (they are in most scenarios)
    There are no vans and no trade routes
    There are no diplomats/spies
    There is no diplomacy; even my allies do not want to talk to me
    We seem to be in fundamentalism even though the GUI claims we are in Monarchy
    There is no revolution (command is grayed out). Not sure what happens if we get democracy

3. Ali Ardavan

4. grigor

grigor Chieftain

I can't open this scenario, so I will skip this month.

5. Ali Ardavan

You have to have the MGE to open it. The classic will not do.

Most scenarios designed by CFCers are that way. Last year I purchased MGE just so that I could play the other WWI scenario I chose to play for a GOTM.

6. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Is anyone else playing this scenario? There are some really weird unit values, names and the promised special techs aren't there. I noticed differences in the rules.txt of the scenario vs. the one in the real game: do I need to copy my Civ2 executable somewhere else to play it? I do have MGE, but I'm dumbfounded by this whole thing.

7. Ali Ardavan

Welcome back Jokemaster.

I did test play it but did not go very far. You should definitely use the rules.txt that came with the scenario but that is nothing special; all scenarios are like that.

I definitely do plan to play this one but had been away from the game for weeks due to excessive traveling.

Elaborate on your issues and I will look into them right away.

8. Ali Ardavan

I just extended the deadline for the game to Sep. 15th

9. Jokemaster

I tried copying my Civ2 to a different folder, then adding the .zip files/overwriting them as necessary, didn't seem to work at first. I had to edit the rules.fre file with the rules.txt file that came with the download. Holy moly I have no clue what's going on.

10. Ali Ardavan

That makes sense. In the French and German versions of Civ2, many system files that end in .txt for the English version, end in .fre and .ger. Glad you figured it out. Good find. Thanks.

Apparently Major Advantage has not started playing yet or he too would have noticed this.

As for the changes from the standard game, do not sweat them too much. Read the 3rd paragraph of the opening of this thread for my experience with another scenario like this last summer.

11. Jokemaster

There's a few weird things I've noticed so far in this scenario, despite it working as intended. You talked about the GUI claiming Monarchy even if we were in Fundy: that is true on my end, I do recieve tithes for each hospital (temple) in my cities. However, I don't recieve tithes for the Cathedrals (House of God) in my cities, despite not having to pay for them. There is also no "free" support for the first 10 units in a city: looking at the rules.txt tells me that it is intended.

12. Jokemaster

I'm also at a big loss when it comes to finding out which cities have walls/fortifications. Dips and spies are disabled in this scenario, and I can't see a visual indicator anywhere that the city has walls, like you do in the normal game. It's seriously screwing me over bc I can't plan my attacks very well, and end up using too few or too many resources.

The only way to find out is if the city loses pop when a defender gets killed, but easier said than done.

13. Ali Ardavan

Interesting observation about the walls. I was not looking for that one. That too may be intentional.

14. Ali Ardavan

I am still playing, is anyone else?

Deadline extended another couple of weeks to Sep 29th.

15. Jokemaster

I finished a while ago. Glad to see it's not a ceremonial lap for me.

16. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

17. Ali Ardavan

Wish there were more people playing. This was an interesting and tough scenario.

Great job Jokemaster coming back from behind.

Looks like I got both the green and the blue stars, right?

18. Jokemaster

Looks like you did. Heh. Not bad.

19. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff