[PTW] GOTM 169 China Warlord 20k - Pre-game Discussion

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM169 Emperor Qin Shi Huang of China

In game number 169 of the classic game of the month series, you will rule as emperor Qin Shi Huang over China, which is Militaristic and Industrious and start the game with the knowledge of Warrior Code and Masonry. The sponsored victory condition for this contest is the 20k one-city cultural achievement victory, which is achieved by accumulating 20'000 culture points in one single city. Games finished in any other way are not eligible to win this contest.

qin-shi-huang-1.jpg

This is the Warlord-level of the year game designed by me, Più Freddo. The Chinese unique unit is the Rider, a Knight that moves like a Cavalry unit.

This is your start position:

gotm_169_start.jpg

We continue to use a modified form of the standard PTW scenario, and although no bugs have been reported in some time, it is possible that play testing has not been exhaustive. Any in-game event or behaviour that a player feels is unintended should be reported to the GOTM staff immediately.

Scope of the Game:

Civilization|China
Difficulty|Warlord
Map size|Standard, 100x100 Tiles
Map topology|Pangaea, 30 % land area
Climate|Normal and temperate
Rivals|8 AI Tribes
Barbarians|None
Required victory condition|20k Culture
Submissions due by 5 September 2018 |PLEASE NOTE THE DATE

Game release page The game is relased on 25 July 2018.

The GOTM series of friendly competitions is a community effort.
Please feel free to volunteer to design a game!
Send a PM to Più Freddo.

This looks like a challenge indeed... Apparently we will be playing OCC for quite a while.

Can we get enough food to eventually work all the mountains? 2+6x4+3 = 29 -- That's enough for 14 citizens. 7 have to work the flatland tiles, so we can work 7 mountains (and three more coastal tiles, for a max population of 17).

I started to write that this will be an interesting start, but it won't. The start will be really boring. What comes after the start will be interesting. We'll see if I can mount an overseas invasion.

How do you get three coastal tiles, Lanzelot? If you settle in place, you get 2, and if you move to the plains you get a bunch.

We do appreciate that, and it is a river, so we get commerce, too.

so if one knew there was a fish it could even be good to move 1SW to the plains tile?

or even if there was no fish?

however, that would only get you 6 mountains, but 1 more food from the grass>plains, plus more water tiles to grow with. thus a higher max pop, and the chance for a temporary support town...

not sure whether the 1 mountain after rails is worth NOT to move 1 SW...

t_x

Last edited:
I'm moving to the plains. I think I need the early commerce way more than the mountain I can't use until railroads. Extra shields then hardly matter. They won't affect the finish date by much at all. I won't be building another town, though, unless we have more island than it appears.

Well, it isn't really early, just early compared to railroads. If I managed a second town efficiently, I'm sure it would let me grow faster, but I won't manage it efficiently. I'll just mess it up, and find out that it has stolen tiles from my 20k town, or that I've sunk a bunch of shields into something stupid. I'm just too lazy of a player; despite my best intentions, I'll forget to check things each turn.

Because I don't want a bunch of mountains I can't work. Moving one step to the plains isn't too much trouble (and it doesn't require continuous supervision), and it gives me a bunch of coast that I can work.

This isn't a 20k Bonanza! That would have lots of rivers; hills with wine, gold, iron, and coal; and ivory. This looks like isolation, where we'll have to choose between learning techs for culture and learning techs to get off the island. I'm glad we start with a wonder tech, but it doesn't look like the pyramids will do us any good, except for culture.

The last time I played 20k on warlord for fun I had a pretty nice start, and I built all great wonders but one. I think the hard part here will be researching fast enough to have something to build. Even with pangaea, the AI will probably stink at research, and the isolated start will slow down my research, especially with no slingshot.

True, but, for me, 20k in PTW is not so much fun as in Conquests. It really needs to be in Conquests for me to feel I have a great 20k spot. This is because I dislike (and stink at) warfare so rushing with MGLs isn't helpful to me. Of course, no SGLs makes 20k in COTM less exciting, too, though I understand the reasoning. I'm not sure I agree with it, especially with so few people participating, but it is what it is.

Well, it isn't really early, just early compared to railroads. If I managed a second town efficiently, I'm sure it would let me grow faster, but I won't manage it efficiently. I'll just mess it up, and find out that it has stolen tiles from my 20k town, or that I've sunk a bunch of shields into something stupid. I'm just too lazy of a player; despite my best intentions, I'll forget to check things each turn.

Sorry, but I still fail to see any extra commerce. You would first work all the land tiles possible, right? which makes the same number of land tiles and workable coast tiles until pop 12, if i count correctly. only with rails, there is difference of 1 mountain versus 1 coast... because Shake´s doesn´t give the free hospital in PtW, or does it? so only that tech and building will make a difference and give us the extra commerce, right?
t_x

Top Bottom