1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 171

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Ali Ardavan, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Game of the Month 171: Oct 2015

Civilization: 2 Chinese settlers
    Starting techs: Alphabet
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Total players: 7
    Restarts: on
    Barbarians: Roving Bands (-25)
    25x40 game generated map

Deadline: Dec 15 29, 2015

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

You can download the game here.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attached Files:

2. Ali Ardavan

Last month we played on the largest map with the smallest number of rivals. This month we have the smallest map with the largest number of rivals.

3. Ali Ardavan

Resource seed is 41. There are no 4 specials nearby.

At this size the game usually generates one continent and pretty rough terrain. I was pretty surprised to see fairly decent terrain at the starting location.

4. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

I was home for Canadian Thanksgiving weekend... so I did this one for a quickie. Went better and worse than expected. (EC again)

5. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

I play this map,but just 5 civilizations,not 7,and Finder shows seed 9,not 41.

6. Ali Ardavan

Sorry it took me so long to check. You are right catalin72 in that there are only 5 not 7 civilizations. I am not sure what happened. But the seed is 41. With 9 the visible special would have been wine instead of coal.

7. Ali Ardavan

I guess at such a small map the game generator runs out of good starting spots and that is why it gives only 5 tribes. To test this I created 5 more games with similar parameters and all had 5 or fewer civs.

8. Ali Ardavan

Given how recently the spoiler became active, an extension is in order. I just added 2 weeks.

9. lasingularidad

lasingularidad Chieftain

Hi all,

I couldn't finish that one and the deadline is now over. I was going for a landing game which I couldn't find the time to complete, but only one AI city is left, so I could destroy it and finish the game (with a poor gotm score but doesn't matter). Should I submit even two weeks after the (extended) deadline ?

10. Ali Ardavan

Yes, you should submit. The deadlines are kind of soft. I submitted this one only days ago.

11. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

12. Ali Ardavan

It is the only time I remember when OCC got the blue star! and by a long shot for that matter. My OCC score is 6 times the next highest score.

Congrats to all early conquest players.

13. Major Advantage

Major Advantage Chieftain

Yeah, that's sweet!
    Also nice that I won green by one turn.

14. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Didn't WildPony get a landing game done? He must have forgotten to submit or decided he didn't feel like it...

EDIT: I hear you Inkerman. Ironic since I'll have a few of those games coming up myself.

15. Inkerman

Inkerman Engineer Civ2 GOTM Staff

I think it's fair to say it's reasonably common for someone to chat in the spoiler and not submit a game. Perhaps every two or three games.

When I first started helping on the GotM Staff I was concerned about this. But now I don't worry. It is probably more interesting for our group to have contributions to the spoiler and no submission, than the other way around.

16. grigor

grigor Chieftain

I thought I was a lock for green, but won gold instead. Go figure!

17. Inkerman

Inkerman Engineer Civ2 GOTM Staff

As many know I help a little as a junior member of the GotM Staff Team. I am sorry we didn't include lasingularidad's after-the-deadline submission in the formal results. I didn't have the files when the scoring was done.

I apologise to lasingularidad for this. :bowdown:

Curious that I should I be adding this comment to the thread in which I mentioned that we don't check when we don't get GotM entries that the spoiler led us to expect.

I had been following the spoiler, and lasingularidad did contribute significantly to it, but as I said it is quite common for folk to intend to submit and then not do so, perhaps forgetting, or not knowing what exactly to do.

[EDIT: Submitting
    Please send an email to civ2gotm@gmail.com
    Please say how the game ends.
    Please attach files individually with filename playername_GOTMnnn_year.sav e.g. AliArdavan_GOTM172_1492.sav
    In most games the saves wanted are AD1, AD1000 and the final one.
    In conquest please make the last save before the last AI unit or city is captured.
    Please only send one game in each email, or there is a chance of our missing a submission.]

But, and back to this game. A really important point I would like to highlight is that, contrary to her own expectations, and recognising that it did not work out how it was hoped, lasingularidad's game was nevertheless significantly high-scoring, and would have won gold, pushing everyone else down one place.

(Thus cancelling grigor's surprise at gold coming his way!)

Perhaps sometime lasingularidad will play another small map game in the same style? If so, I would expect a gold.