1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[PTW] GOTM 175 Germany, Emperor -- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

GOTM175 Germany Spoilers

In game number 175 of the classic game of the month series, you will rule as Bismark over the Germans, who are Scientific and Militaristic and start the game with the knowledge of Bronze Working and Warrior Code.

This is an Emperor level game, brought to you by Più Freddo. The German unique unit is the Panzer Tank, a faster Tank.

Your scout has already wandered off to expand your knowledge of the starting location.

Click the start image for a larger version.

Scope of the Game

Map size: standard
    Map topology: Continents
    Rivals: 7 pre-selected
    Barbarians: unknown
    Required victory condition: none

The game is released on July 5, 2019.
    Submissions are due by September 30, 2019.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

(This limit will be changed as the game progesses.)

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

2. Più Freddo

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

3. Più Freddo

I finally got myself together to create the spoilers thread. Please feel free to post spoilers reaching until, but not including, the Industrial Times!

4. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain Supporter

"The Adventures of Kaiser Jack", or "I Prefer the Jungle, Thanks Anyway"

3950 B.C. HeidelbErg is founded just north of the starting location, and I set my production towards a warrior. I always have a 20k victory in mind, and when I popped Ceremonial Burial out of a goody hut I changed production to Temple. A decent start.
    3050 B.C. Civil Disorder! Oh, right, this is Emperor level. I put the luxury slider up to 10% and that suffices. Then my citizens start to die of disease. Obviously there will not be a 20k victory for me on this site. Change of plan needed.
    1870 B.C. After suffering through horrible population declines I finally build a settler and found my second city, Leipzig. This is 2,130 years after the game has begun. Not a promising start.
    280 A.D. Fortress Germania! I am alone on the island and with my 12th city I have extended cultural control coast-to-coast. I might be invaded, but no other nation can settle on my island now. I relax and send hordes of workers to clear the jungle. Not all of them are this attractive, but they are all armed with machetes.

romancing-promo.jpg romancing-promo.jpg
    1100 A.D. My best peaceful trade: Silk & Furs for Monarchy. With England?
    1320 A.D. The world turns nasty. Celts demand furs and I pony up. Later Cleopatra also demands furs, and again I agree. Finally Caesar demands 19 gold in tribute. A paltry sum, but even the Kaiser has his pride. I say no and they declare war.
    1370 - 1705 A.D. The Eternal War. England, the Ottomans, the Celts all demand tribute and I refuse them all. Let them come. Each land troops on my shores and I slaughter them all. But not without cost. My shoreline is constantly bombarded and my coastal improvements are destroyed as soon as I rebuild them. And the quality of the invading troop is getting better and better. Soon my knights are fighting guerillas. I know that I must have rubber in my jungle, and I know the enemy must want it. I would trade it to them if I could, but I don't have the knowledge. Meantime the overwhelming hordes of English ships continue to pound my shoreline. Coastal fortresses are some help.
    Germany.jpg
    1705 A.D. My people are not war weary, but I am. I give away two cities for peace and try to rebuild but the enemy soon attacks again, and by the next century I am eliminated. Thankfully.

For me this was a very wearisome game. I think the Regent level is quite difficult enough.
    The map was good though, and interesting. Thanks to Piu Freddo. I'm sure there will be many victories recorded and I want to see how they were accomplished.

Spoonwood likes this.
  5. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Unless it's something like an AW game, usually Republic ends up as the better government. Do I understand it correctly that you had a whole landmass to yourself? If so, then at least until you start landing on them, a republic will work best. The AI also is programmed to attack an empty capital if there's no continguous land mass, before marines or berzerks. Ships consistently will land troops next to an empty capital (and they won't notice units near a capital).

6. Più Freddo

Does anyone play this game at all?

7. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

i am playing... and maybe even finishing. :)
    t_x

8. TheHaze

TheHaze Chieftain

I played and finished the game. I will try to put together a recap of what I did, but I am not sure if my memory will serve me well.

The start was pretty ok. I gambled that we would be alone on our island early and built no military (just two warriors), just trying to push out population with granaries, settlers and workers.
    It was clear we would need loads of workers with that jungle. I placed three cities on the lake, that was maybe a little overkill but I kept them till the end. City four was placed in the east and started a prebuild for the Great Lighthouse immediately.

I found all neighbours fairly early, Egypt and Ottos to the West, then Rome, England and US to the South and finally China and Celts to the East. As soon as I found them, I started wars on all continents. There were some fake wars that gave me war happiness and I was able to get the Great Lighthouse and to my surprise I was able to trade with the West, that came in handy later as I was able to share resources and luxes between my island and the West.

Egypt was slowly destroying the Ottos and at some point I joined in with Horses and took some Otto cities. When they were eliminated, I decided to go for Egypt and declared on them. It was a bit difficult only using Horses but I made progress. At this time it was also necessary to think about the Golden Age. The Great Library was in New York and I would complete Leos in about ten turns. So I sent a party of 6 galleys and twelve horses South East. The turn before I completed Leos, they captured the GL and I started my GA.

With the GA, I went straight for Military tradition and then stopped research. I had both cores (initial core north and second core south) on my starting island so all cities on my island were fully productive just chunking out cavalry or horses to be upgraded. Not sure if having the second core in Egypt would have been better. They had really nice land, but it took me quite long to get it.
    The rest was just cleaning up. I conquered Rome, then ROP raped both England and the US to conquer them rather quickly. I played fair with China and then Celts, although the Celts were almost gone and I just had to take what the Chinese left and the Chinese just had nothing to stop my cavalry.

Here my stats:
    Game: Classic GOTM 175
    Date submitted: 2019-09-05 20:32:46
    Entry class: Open
    Game status: Conquest Victory for Germany
    Game date: 1170 AD
    Firaxis score: 5910
    Jason score: 8627
    Time played: 25:05:47

Più Freddo likes this.
  9. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

finished!

it became a 980ad Domination Victory
    6962 Firaxis score

timeline:
    settle in place
    first ring in RCP-3
    in 530bc i know everyone
    430bc Republic
    210ad prepared to attack Egypt where i want to build my 2nd core
    470ad they´re out
    670ad finally sees the so desired MGL
    690ad/700ad just in time to establish the 2nd core and start the GA
    ignite wars everywhere
    910ad Rome gone
    (i did not take down the dates for the others, Ottos and Yanks did not see the end of the game)
    i invade China from the east and the big southern continent from the west, making good progress on both of them.
    960ad was the set up victory date, but sloppy playing and 1 misclick late in the night later... i really twice said "only one more turn" :)

i started the GA with Newton´s, did research up to Steam, then no more science.

it was a fun game, thanks for the set-up!
    t_x

Più Freddo likes this.