[PTW] GOTM 176 Egypt, Deity -- Spoilers

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM 176 Egypt Deity

Elephantine_Island_H_2000x730.jpg

Last edited:
In GOTM 176 you play Cleopatra of the Egyptians, who is religious and industrious. You start this Deity-level game with Ceremonial Burial and Masonry, and you build War Chariots instead of chariots.
GOTM176start.png

Scope of the Game

Map size: standard
Map topology: Archipelago
Rivals: 7 pre-selected
Barbarians: none
Required victory condition: none

The game is released on October 1, 2019.
Submissions are due by December 31, 2019.

An interesting start! We're tied up Civ-II-like between the Cattle and the Wheat. But with Industrial Workers, I guess we'll have the Four-Turner up and running soon enough. The extra Commerce and Happiness from Incense will come in handy.

no barbs and archipelago -> it seems we can fully focus on growth and expansion at the beginning. I wonder how large our starting island is and if the AI can reach us with galleys. I don't know how good the chances are of getting the Great Lighthouse on Deity ...

I will settle in place and build a temple immediately. My goal is a single city cultural victory, and on Deity I know my dreams will not last into the AD years.

I'm not confident at deity, but I'm giving it a go. With one more BG (maybe under one of those forests!?), I think this site would be a 1T worker pump outside of despotism.
Republic isn't as good in PTW as in Conquests, right? Maybe I'll switch to monarchy and then to a democracy for a peaceful game. Research will be to map making and lit, might have to research monarchy myself because I'm not sure what I'll have as trade fodder at that point.

PTW Republic isn't as good as Conquests Republic, but the GOTM doesn't use standard rules. One of the rule changes makes GOTM Republic play like Conquests Republic. Pick your government just as you would in Conquests.

Last edited:
OCN or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the optimal city number, i.e. being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace, or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever comes earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

I built a temple immediately in my capital thinking I would try for a 20K victory but I was soon stymied with nothing to build that would produce culture. It would have been far better to try for the 20K a bit NW where I could have prebuilt the palace, etc... I shifted to producing settlers and expanded rapidly. Too rapidly. I was soon overrun and raised the white flag.
I deleted the game before submitting it, but this is quick and dirty loss for Captain Jack.

For what it's worth I replayed the game with a sounder strategy and was able to build the Great Library when I made my second city the 20K project. I'm learning!

Uneventful start, 1425bc and I've built 8 towns. Currently researching writing still, on my way to map making to acquire some contacts.

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

I think I have not posted anything yet. Now that I have submitted, here is the full story, at once.

Early:

Walk and settle inlands for a more likely full first ring.

950bc meet Yanks, they still don´t have Alpha L

I exchange maps and see dark blue borders on the other end of their island.

Build r and then town/colony at furs

690 Met 3 civs, all backwards, build TGLight

630 meet Zulus and Iros

610 build a irrigation town for the eastern part of the island for 1 turn

510 meet remaining 1 civ. New techs but nothing relevant.

Ad:

10 bring the capital to 12, 1-turn chariots from now on.

290 GP, no other civ knows a MA tech. Quite astonishing on Deity.

330 land first troops under a RoP in American lands

360 i hoped i could attack before the Yanks have Feud, but i see their first pike

Now i will try to take all their 3 iron sources away from them rather soon

370 attack on America. GA starts. But nothing else. 2 towns captured, but not the important one to reestablish the trade routes. L quite a SOUR.

But in a 2nd try i manage to take iron away from them and hold a town on their island until i get cavs. Fish for leaders.

540 MT in, stop research, AIs only manage their 2nd MA tech the turn before. Obviously they drown in unit support. They will be relieved

580 build FP in America

i use a chance to get WH from Germany

640 America out of the game

700 i see the Zulus unload 6 units onto a single tile – good one, AS!

740 manage to invade German main island

760 and Germany out

790 3rd try, land 30+ units in Mongolia!

810 take Karakorum with the last unit with attack left. ;)

860 Mongols out of the game

Invasion of the Chinese/Aztec island starts, right before the Aztecs take the Chinese out.

Accidentally I must have accepted stupid Chivalry from someone in a trade. With about 100 cavs, I won´t be building any units for battly anymore now… they won´t reach the front anyways.

910 i have all 8 luxes again.

920 planned border expansions. Some 50 tiles to go.

Ok, first. I take all remaining Aztec towns on their home island.

Second. I take China out of the game. I am over the dom limit now.

Third. Settle everything with the dom settlers i can fly in.

Ergo, 45 tiles over the limit. That should suffice in any case of flips…

This Domination Victory in 930ad earns me just over 10000 Jason points.

Elite fights:

IIIII IIIII III MGL 520ad

II MGL 580ad

IIIII MGL 710ad on defense

IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII III 920ad

II

t_x

Thanks for posting. A great win! What does WH stand for? You say “i use a chance to get WH from Germany”.

WH is war happiness. When a civ declares on you, it can make your citizens happy for a while, until it gets overtaken by war weariness. It is especially nice when a civ that can't reach you declares on you.

Thanks for the explanation. Wasn’t aware of this. Yes. Germany is hardly a nation to worry about in this game eh!

Top Bottom