1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[PTW] GOTM 176 Egypt, Deity -- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Sep 27, 2019.

1. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

None to worry about, for sure, but not too easy to conquer on their island, either. ;)
    t_x

2. milr

milr Chieftain

AI's generally race through the Tech tree leaving me with a losing proposition. But not this time! I stayed at home, except for a few ships to find the AI's. Also observed pretty quickly that there was only one early path to my continent, which I blocked with ships, and with a little additional help from the GL I built. Also managed to get the other GL, which gave me a few Techs. To the best of my memory, I did not trade any techs I researched throughout the rest of the game. Built a huge Tech lead, and eventually won by Conquest with many Tanks and MA's. I think this was my first Conquest ever since playing the GOTM/COTM series.

3. Nata

Nata Warlord

Game status: Domination Victory for Egypt
    Game date: 1250 AD
    Firaxis score: 7896
    Jason score: 9731

Pretty pleased with how the game played out. I was organized, for my standards, and got some lucky breaks too.

Settled in place, built 4RCP, 7RCP. Got MM and 3 Galley prebuilds ready at 975BC.
    Here's the screen from 975BC, Galleys are ready to cross the shallow sea and meet the unknown, library prebuilds are about to start.

Met Americans, got Iron/Wheel/Horses techs in the exchange, prepared invasion army, discovered the rest of the world.

Americans managed to build Pyramids and GLH in Washington and GL in New York - everything came extremely useful.
    The invasion triggered GA when Egypt was a Republic researching MA techs. Invasion also gave the first Great Leader used for FP in Boston.

I got more GLs during American war, forgot what I did with them, I think built an Army and then Leonardo's.

By the time Egypt conquered America Aztecs destroyed China and became a mighty empire. I left them alone and hoped to achieve domination w/o challenging them.
    The wars were a slow grind: Zulu fell under my Knights and then Cavs, Iroqueze were easier. I started those invasions while having Gunpowder, and would drop 2-3 Muskets on a mountain or hill, plus ~20 cavs, to thin the attacking crowd a bit.
    Amazingly no one had Gunpowder yet when I attacked.

Mongols were very backwards and I hoped to take them before they got Muskets too, preparing my American province invasion force. But when I reached their shores they got Gunpowder and Muskets, and it became a slowest conquest of all. Finally Mongols fell and temples/libs in new towns expanded and I got the Dom victory in 1250AD.

4. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain

That is very impressive to me. I never have an empire that looks so good at 975 B.C. Please explain to me what RCP and MM mean.

5. CKS

CKS Deity

Here, MM is map making.

RCP is Ring City Placement. In PTW, towns built at the same distance away from a palace get corruption benefits. Example: If I build 4 cities at distance 3 from my capital, all 4 see no cities closer to the capital. If I then build 8 cities at distance 6, they each see 4 cities between them and the capital. If I didn't put them all at distance 6, the closest one would see 4 cities while the farthest one would see 11 cities between it and the capital, and it would have much higher corruption. (In Conquests you don't get this corruption benefit, so you don't need to balance settling in a ring vs settling in a better spot.)

6. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain

Thanks. I knew that but I forgot my acronyms.
    Now here's a different question. When I do the ring city placement I'm half-hearted about it, and just do it more-or-less. I guess that's wrong.
    Do you recommend looking at the map and planning in advance where cities #2, #3 and maybe #4 go before placing the second city? Or do you place city #2 in a good place and make the following cities follow that pattern.
    Also, the number of tiles away from the capital is the number in the longest direction and 1/2 the number in the shorter direction, rounded down, correct?

7. CKS

CKS Deity

I'm not so good about following through on RCP completely, either, but some is better than none.
    I expect that planning things out in advance works rather better than plopping one city down and making the rest match. If you are doing 20k in the second city, though, I'd select its location and make sure the others don't mess with it.

Your distance calculations are correct.

8. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Plan! Use CivAssist II!

9. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Most AI had pretty bad land, so it was an unusually slow tech rate for a Deity game. But tech prices for the human player were huge, so I never quite managed 4-turn research after the middle ages. (5-6 turns for most of the techs.) The game resulted in a slow space victory in 1620 AD. (Submitted at the last minute...)

In order to illustrate the slow AI, I left the Iroquois alive until the end of the game: they never learned Republic or Monarchy and consequently stayed a Despotism for the entire game!! :eek:
    And they learned only one single middle age tech: Feudalism. I would expect that they learn another tech every 40 turns, but they must have set research to 0% or something pretty low so that the resulting science output in their size-1 tundra capital was zero for the rest of the game...
    Too bad for them, that this wasn't C3C, then they could at least have become a Feudalism... :D And of course they had no iron either... :mischief: