1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[PTW] GOTM 177 Zululand, Regent -- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

GOTM 177 Zululand, Regent
    huts.jpg

2. Più Freddo

In this game, you will rule over the Zulu, who are Military and Expansionist and start the game with the knowledge of Pottery and Warrior Code. This is a Regent-level game. The Zulu Unique Unit is the Impi, a Spearman with a second movement point.

For this game, Chief Shaka has come out of retirement to lead his people. He is not a king unit. If he dies the civilization continues. It's just for a bit of fun.

This is your starting position:

For discussion and planning ahead, you again get a greater picture of the surroundings of your start position. Please note, that in the game those tiles will not be uncovered.

Scope of the Game

Map size: Normal
    Map topology: Pangaea
    Rivals: Many
    Barbarians: Roaming

The game is released on January 1, 2020.
    Submissions are due by March 31, 2020.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Industrial Times or Game Submitted
    Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.
    No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progesses.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  3. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

GOTM_177.jpg
    Here is the starting position. Promising I think, but who knows what lies beyond our borders?

4. Più Freddo

I see a combo six-turner 1SE.

5. Nata

Nata Warlord

I waited for Regent level to try 20K, but not sure now. Moving East leads to good 20K starts, but pangaea and Barbs and many rivals... Will I get breathing space for 1-city development? Will I manage a Leader factory with AIs not building enough units?
    Hmm, will see.

6. Nata

Nata Warlord

7. Più Freddo

Sorry about that. Fixed.

8. Più Freddo

OCN or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the optimal city number, i.e. being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace, or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever comes earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

9. Più Freddo

As I mentioned above, I saw a six-turn Combo factory 1SE, and opening the game didn't change my mind. I think a 6x10 Factory would have been possible, but what I wanted to have were Impis at 20 shields, and no Warriors. So I planned for a 27 + 30 shields factory at size 4.6 to 6.6.

I finished a Granary in 2950 BC followed by a Worker two turns later upon growth to 5. This was followed by two MP Warriors, a four-turn Settler, at which time the Factory was operational and went on to produce Barracks -- Settler -- Impi -- Settler -- Impi and so on.

I employed the Shaka unit as a Scout and sent out him and the Scout proper in different directions. I set Research to The Wheel. The first three Pops were Technologies: Ceremonial Burial, Masonry and Mysticism. I met India and learned Alphabet. I met Rome and the Mongols and learned Bronze Working.

I went on to meet all other tribes, many through trade. My Research went Writing -- Philosophy -- Code of Laws -- The Republic. I was able to trade for Iron Working, Horseback Riding and Map Making along the way.

The next phase of the game started as I attacked Rome with Archers in 1175 BC. This was just before going into Anarchy. In the next few turns, I got a full World Map and all the cash in the world, established Republic and connected Horses. In this circular setup of the world, Rome was clearly the neuralgic point that had to be enganged properly first in order to get traction and ensure the fluidity of the rest of the invasion. I was now going for a combined Conquest and Domination victory.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  10. Più Freddo

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

11. Più Freddo

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

12. CKS

CKS Deity

Well, I made it in time. 20k in 1772.
    Zimbabwe topped out over a hundred shields with industrialization, so that was nice. Pollution wasn't really a problem there, either. I think I got hit twice in Zimbabwe. I had some early warring, but got no GL until fairly late. Overall I had around half a dozen, but they clumped at the end, with railroads and tanks, as usual.

I was surprised when I didn't take a town with only a worker showing. I hadn't realized that the king units hid under them. Having Shaka to scout with was pretty nice.

Overall a fun game. If I'd had more time I might have warred more, for earlier great leaders, but I enjoyed speeding through it, probably more than if I'd spent more of the game at war.

I sent Shaka 2E and the scout 2S. When I saw that the coast was salty, I sent the settler toward the grass by the coast for 20k. The worker went to the wheat to irrigate and mine.
    3850 I built Zimbabwe, starting a warrior and researching BW at max so I could build the Colossus.
    3700 Learned CB from a hut, met Japan.
    3650 Learned myst. from a hut
    3600 Built the warrior, started a temple
    3150 Learned BW, started Alph. I'm pretty sure I swapped my build to the Colossus here.
    2850 Met Rome, traded myst for alph + 10 g
    2590 Hut gave maps
    2470 Hut gave a town pretty far to the west.
    2390 Meet India
    2350 Trade for the wheel
    2150 Meet Mongols, buy Masonry, see first barbs
    2170 Colossus > Impi, worker > warrior
    1990 Impi > settler, buy IW
    1870 settler > temple
    1830 build on dyes, Meet Spain
    Lots of contacts and trades I didn't record, notes start to give out
    1400 hut gives math
    1100 CoL
    ~800 build Pyramids
    Become a republic